HybridZ

7M-GTE Mounts with lots of pics

Tony240ZT

Hey guys, it's been about 2 years since my car has been sitting in the garage with the supra motor, I've collected some dust. I didn't like the mounts I had made up, one side sagged a little and they weren't that strong looking, so I've redone them up, and I think these are better. My welder seems like it's bout ready to die so I tried my best by doing little tack welds on them..

This one is the driver's side, I cut out the old mount support on the cross over, then mounted the supra rubber mount directly onto the cross member. Don't mind the dust I'm doing a little bit of body work on the engine compartment.

driverside.jpg

Passenger side is using the existing engine support mount

passside1.jpg

passside2.jpg

Valve covers are aligned well with the hood latch support

top.jpg

The engine is as far back as it can possibly be, this is because the tranny seems short. This probably helps as far as weight transfer as well.

clearance.jpg

Tranny shifter comes out a little further foward than stock

tranny.jpg

Here are some goodies to bolt onto the car:

tableofnew.jpg

I am making up a custom intake manifold to have the throttle body coming out the front of the engine, this requires that I lower the alternator about an inch. I've seen someone do this before and it looks pretty easy. Well worth the shorter intercooler piping and less pick up of heat by keeping the intake piping away from the exhaust.

For those of you who haven't seen the car before here is a photo of the engine mounted a couple years ago with the stock turbo and stock intake manifold. The engine is slouching to the passenger side in the photo, this is why I redid the mounts:

wicfront2.jpg

Next is to hook up the clutch, have the drive lines spliced together, do piping and finish up my intake manifold with larger throttle body. The engine is controled by a stand alone EFI system, the Wolf3D 4.0. There is a TRD clutch in there, Accel 500hp external fuel pump, 550cc/min injectors, and a full T04 turbo sits ontop of the SS header with 38mm wastegate. Would like to go with a T-66 turbo, but this smaller one will have to do right now, it will probably limit me to 350hp, but the T-66 should really open it up.

Will be selling my orange car this month to get the money to complete the job. I'm hoping to be done by the end of this month, or early next. I've had the engine running in the engine compartment before, without a drive line, so at least I have the wires in the right place, it'll just be a matter of tuning once I have all the parts together.

My orange car has received new paint (prowler orange), a low mileage L28-ET, it has a T04B/T3 turbo, 65mm throttle body, Japanese no EGR intake manifold, oil cooler, front mount modified starion intercooler, electric fan, 4 core radiator, accel coil, fresh air K&N intake, and the inside looks pretty nice. The engine is bolted up to a 3 speed 280Z auto tranny that shifts very nicely. The car can run up to ~13psi without a problem. If you know anyone who would be interested pass the word around, it's a very nice california rust free `73 240Z. I would say that it could use some suspention work and some fresh brakes or perhaps I should say with the added power maybe these could use an upgrading, but as far as the engine and looks go, it's perfect.

Snewpaint1.jpg

(front air dam is now painted, and bumper is fixed)

Sorangecar.jpg

I'll be excepting offers over $5K. I just drove it up to Reno, NV from southern CA it was very exciting all the way, may have broken the speed limit a couple times :D

The 7M-GTE project looks absolutely great. I used to have a turbo mach III which was slightly upgraded and loved it despite the massive weight. That engine done up in a Z should be amazing. Smooth, powerful, torquey and breaths very well.

Are you planning having some duplicates of the mounts made ? it's such a great engine and there are so many of them in the junkyard, I imagine the should be some people eager to get them. It think it should hold it's own against a RB-25 and will cost only a fraction of it.

Best of luck completing the project.

transmount.jpg

Here is the tranny mount. The base of it is based of a MKII Supra tranny mount.. There is a bit of reinforcement on the inside of the tunnel. I don't like that very much, but it leaves a lot more room for exhaust, and I was in a hurry when I dropped the motor in to return the engine hoist.

I just put in my R200, it's just an open one for now, mounted on urethain bushings. I'm installing Modern Motor Sport's 280ZX CV conversion kit. I'm just waiting on some 280Z outer spindles and new bearings. After I get those bolted in I can take over my two drive shafts and have them re-tubed to the length needed and I'll have the ends rebuilt at the same time.

While I have the rear suspention off I would like to convert to disk brakes, if anyone has parts to help me do this let me know. I may go with the Modern Motor Sport kit that uses nissan parts.

I like where the stock shifter comes out. My shifter is from a MKIII supra, I'm not too tall at 5'8"

About making mounts for others, I don't claim to be an engineer, and only hope things are lined up well enough to not give me problems. If it turns out great then maybe that would be something worth doing for others as it's a great engine for the price. I currently am using the mounting holes on the engine block that were intended for power steering pump and A/C compressor. Those that would want to use the A/C compressor would probably want to do something different. Clifton has A/C on his 7M powered 240Z, I'd be interested in how his driver's side mount looks.. The engine sits so differently in the Z than it did in the supra that the original mounts were some where near the tention rod bushings in the z. I guess something could have been built off of the frame rails and some how around the steering column.

Anyways, would love to see more people doing this swap and would like to see new ideas. I'm open to redoing my setup if somebody finds a better way of doing things. I just noticed I need to remove the stock trans mounts because they are too close to the sides of the tranny. This tranny is quite a lot wider than the stock 4 speed.

I found a very inspiring web site. It is purely MKIII supra's only and they plan to stay that way, but otherwise the site has some very nicely done cars with good descriptions.

http://www.7mpower.com/members.shtml

All of the cars have over 400rwhp, all but one have bolted on a different brand turbo.. It's interesting to see how the dyno charts look for each turbo on the same engine. What is so inspiring to me is not the fact that one guy is making 730rwhp with his 7M-GTE, it's that many of these ~450hp guys are making the power on stock internals (with exception to ARP head studs, and MHG)

I found 3 guys with similar intake manifolds to what I'm interested in making for myself. One of them looks like they made the intake manifold out of an old oxegyn tank.

glenn_groseclos_04.jpg

Could that have once been setup like this?:

f9_1_b.JPG

Was thinking of going over to a shop that sells these things locally and seeing if they had any tanks that were out of date, because the funnel part meeting the TB would be so clean looking in compared to something someone made for example:

adam_hintgen_04.jpg

Notice these guys are running stock 60mm throttle bodies.. I found that interesting, ScottyGNZ also was making lots of power with a small throttle body. So, I'm really getting the point now that it's not a necessary thing. However, I have a 65mm tb I'm going to use because it's just more simple in design, and here are the rest of the parts that will some day become my intake manifold:

MVC-087F.JPG

This is a NA intake manifold that I will be chopping up.. I will lower my alternator with a little arm extending from the top mount to clear the throttle body. This guy has a very nice aluminum one on his car:

ron_ramirez_03.jpg

You have to look left of the TB to see what I'm talking about. Right above it is a very small support for the intake manifold that is bolted to where the engine lift hooks were.

I'll update with more pics as more is done.. It may be a while before anything is accomplished because I have to wait for the L28-ET Orange 240Z to sell..

It's hard to tell, is that built off of a Z engine mount?

Was your 12.8@117 time with your CT-26? If so have you run the 1/4 mile with your new turbo? Are you able to turn up the boost more now? The new turbo looks so nice looking..

I think next summer I'll work on installing A/C, possibly go with smaller compressor and will need to make up my own mounts.

Ya it's off the stock Z rubber mount.

I ran 109 with a dying FP (a/f was 13.8:1) with the stock CT-26 at 10 psi. Upgraded CT-26/60-1- was 114 at 17 psi. With the TO4S I did a warm up at 16 psi and ran 117, it was kinda hot, around 100*. I went to turn up the MBC and the too short of spring got caught in the out port, didn't know why the boost dropped till I got home. I was planing on a 22 psi run. Oh well.

I would think it would be easier to trim your mount or make a new one and use a stock compressor.

It's hard to tell' date=' is that built off of a Z engine mount?

Was your 12.8@117 time with your CT-26? If so have you run the 1/4 mile with your new turbo? Are you able to turn up the boost more now? The new turbo looks so nice looking..

I think next summer I'll work on installing A/C, possibly go with smaller compressor and will need to make up my own mounts.[/quote']