HybridZ

Vintage Zcar & Other pictures

RacerX

Where do you find these! All of these are pictures I have not seen before.

There are some good IMSA shots over on http://www.racingsportscars.com

Every time I see a shot from Laguna Seca in the 70's I look to see if I am there as a skinny teen. No luck yet, even in the Can-Am books. I have a grainy picture of Mark Donahue, I took, posing while his crew changed an engine on the Panzer Porsches but no Z cars.

Great stuff guys. I had to laugh though, when I looked at the last pic RacerX posted. It definitely is from the 70's with all the long hair. The only difference a current picture would show, instead of the long hair on these guys, would be shaved heads!!! 8)

Steve Parmely emailed me about this thread.

The #33 Sharp car is the original #006 car that was the Z Car imported to America and was damaged at the NY Auto Show by a model sitting on the roof. Sharp got the car after that and made it into his CP car. A year or so later that car went south to become Jim Fitzgerald's famous # 38 CP car.

Now that car has BSR colors and striping on it, but wears the #38. It is owned by Dr. Allan Robbins. He bought it from Fitz's estate.

The IMSA Camel pace car also has been "around". It was built here in Winston-Salem by Keith Hege (Fitiz's crew chief) and the body/paint work was done by Marty Tharpe who owns SPEVCO. SPEVCO did all of the promotional work for RJ Reynolds up unitl this year when Nextel came around to NASCAR.

After it was finished as a pace/promotional car for IMSA/RJR it was put out to pasture as an advanced school car at Road Atlanta. It always had the original 260 carbs throughout that period.

Jerry Atkins bought after the Whittingtons were jailed and new owners of Road Atlanta set it in a field behind a house trailer. Jerry restored the bottom of the car and built an engine for it with the proper Mikuni carbs and a nice cam. It had the original Camel paint while he had it.

Now the story comes back around to somewhat of a full circle..... Dr Robbins found out about the Camel car. He had bought the Bob/Scott Sharp GT 2 car as well as the IMSA wide body car/cars from BSR. He also had the 280 ZX from the Fitzgerald estate. The Dr. traded the ZX to Jerry for the Camel car.

The Camel car has now been repainted in BSR colors.

The ZX is now owned by Bob Postell who also owns Racer Parts Wholesale in Atlanta. It is painter in the red, white, and blue Activison colors as Fitz last had it. It is the first, or one of the first ZX cars imported into the US. This car is currently for sale at about $60k.

I like the Monza's a lot..

http://www.Zhome.com has quite a lot of racing history on Z's. Check out the nose on this one labeled Macau 240Z

macau240Z.JPG

My favorite articles include the Electramotive Bob Sharp 280ZX Turbo. There are some photos of the engine on a dyno in "How to build your Nissan OHC engine" that are pretty neat. I would like to get more info on the engine of these cars, expecially the turbo models. It looks as though they tilt the engine a little bit, and have the cam running by a belt, also the cam sensor and sometimes distributor is sticking out the front of the cam, through the valve cover.

Anyways, Carl Beck has helped a lot in keeping our Z history together in one place. I have a lot of respect for him.

http://www.Zhome.com has quite a lot of racing history on Z's. Check out the nose on this one labeled Macau 240Z

That zhome.com article on the 'Macau GP 240Z' is long overdue an update. Lots of inaccuracies and speculation still remain in the article long after a little informed investigation helped to dispel a few myths..........

The front end on that car had nothing to do with Nissan.

The IMSA Camel pace car also has been "around". It was built here in Winston-Salem by Keith Hege (Fitiz's crew chief) and the body/paint work was done by Marty Tharpe who owns SPEVCO. SPEVCO did all of the promotional work for RJ Reynolds up unitl this year when Nextel came around to NASCAR.

Well, I learned something today ! I have lived in North Carolina all my life, most of it 50 miles from Winston-Salem, and have known people who worked for Spevco, I also have been into Z's for at least the last 17 years, and I did not know any of this !!!!! DrSideways, I should probably know you, or at least of you....

Well' date=' I learned something today ! I have lived in North Carolina all my life, most of it 50 miles from Winston-Salem, and have known people who worked for Spevco, I also have been into Z's for at least the last 17 years, and I did not know any of this !!!!! DrSideways, I should probably know you, or at least of you....[/quote']

Jason,

I think we have emailed on the Internet Z Club mail list some. It has been a few years ago though. I don't subscribe to that list due to a lack of time.

You should make plans to come see the car run in the SVRA event at VIR. We will be there 10/14-17. The track at VIR is worth the trip by itself. The car are an added benefit. You can check out SVRA.com to see what type of cars will be there. We hope to have my Z and at least two 510s there. There should also be another Z or two.

Alan

sorry if this is somebodys picture but this is my all time fav picture in the world.

who ever took it, and is the owner of these cars i wanna shake your hand!

im sure others have seen it.

849_p25270.jpg

drool.

mike

sorry if this is somebodys picture but this is my all time fav picture in the world.

who ever took it' date=' and is the owner of these cars i wanna shake your hand!

im sure others have seen it.

[img']http://digistash.com/data/cc1aa436277138f61cda703991069eaf/849_p25270.jpg[/img]

drool.

mike

That 630-ALK number plate looks very much like the superseded green and white plates we used to have in my State. Not my cars though 8)

who ever took it' date=' and is the owner of these cars i wanna shake your hand!

Mike[/quote']

ON3GO,

His name is Lachlan, he is from Australia, and he uses the ID "Alfadog" over on classiczcars.com - which is probably where you ripped the picture from:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?ppuser=1243&cat=500

That's one of the saddest thing about downloading pics from the web. Pretty soon nobody knows where anything comes from and the story behind the original photo gets lost.

Jason' date='

I think we have emailed on the Internet Z Club mail list some. It has been a few years ago though. I don't subscribe to that list due to a lack of time.

You should make plans to come see the car run in the SVRA event at VIR. We will be there 10/14-17. The track at VIR is worth the trip by itself. The car are an added benefit. You can check out SVRA.com to see what type of cars will be there. We hope to have my Z and at least two 510s there. There should also be another Z or two.

Alan[/quote']

Ahh, Alan G, right ? Also have a quote in the press this month don't you ? Yes, we have talked on list, and didn't we meet at an autocross school in Greensboro around '94 ? I will actually be at VIR the first weekend of October. I would love to go up the weekend you mention, but our (Triangle Z Club's) Z car show has been moved to that weekend (16th).

Jason' date='

Alan[/quote']

Ahh, Alan G, right ? Also have a quote in the press this month don't you ? Yes, we have talked on list, and didn't we meet at an autocross school in Greensboro around '94 ? I will actually be at VIR the first weekend of October. I would love to go up the weekend you mention, but our (Triangle Z Club's) Z car show has been moved to that weekend (16th).

That would be me. I did make an issue of Classic Motorsports magazine.

We probably did meet at an autocross in the '90s. While I was building the car I ran the local autocross program.

I plan to go up to spectate at the Grand Am also. I hope the rain is done by then.

You should come on up for the SVRA on that Sunday. That is when the actual races will be run. Two events in one weekend can be a hoot. After all you will have a clean car.....

A.

• 2 weeks later...