HybridZ

Shaved Door handles

icesky

I just finshed installing a shaved door handle kit for my 240z, and wow was it easy, it only took 30min's tops. Here is my question what is the best method for shaving the handle's. I was thinking of filling the area where the hanle use to be with foam and fiberglassing over the foam, or claymold it first then apply fiberglass pop it off and insert it into the area where the door handle was. Please tell me what is the best method, and also keep in mind I have no clue how to weld(sad).

Thanks

well it is uber flimzy metal, so i bet an arc welder could would melt through when you put it to high..

But seriously... an arc welder might not give the cleanest welds, but when you cut out to original handle indent, and then spotweld ( otherwhise it wil warp for sure with an arcwelder i think) a metal plate to the back of the door you wil need a litlle bondo and voila a good tight fit, the best way would be to use no bondo and weld it inplace, but that needs a good mig welder to do ( read $ unless you know a shop that does it for a sixpack :-D )

I go with the arcwelder keep us updated !

Another way to get the shape is to cut a section out of a scrap door, just ahead of the handle. You can trim it to fit in the indent where the handle used to be (after removing the actual latch/ect), and glue/mig it in place. Then, just add a thin skim of bondo to smooth out evrything.

• 2 years later...
I just finshed installing a shaved door handle kit for my 240z, and wow was it easy, it only took 30min's tops. Here is my question what is the best method for shaving the handle's. I was thinking of filling the area where the hanle use to be with foam and fiberglassing over the foam, or claymold it first then apply fiberglass pop it off and insert it into the area where the door handle was. Please tell me what is the best method, and also keep in mind I have no clue how to weld(sad).

Thanks

where did u get your kit and what was the cost

bob

They sell alot of different glues and adhesives (JB weld,etc.?) that are said to be better then a weld, Id consider doing that. You wouldnt need to mess with welding and possibly blowing a hole in your door.

What do you mean by a Arc welder, do you mean Mig or Stick. If you mean stick welding please do not use that method.

Good Luck! Post some pics when done.:)

JB Weld, better than a real weld? Dont count on it. However, it should be a viable option here, as it holds up well in situations where it doesnt get heated and cooled often.

A buddy of mine and I drove a recently purchased used mastercraft ski boat down to the lake to test it out. I don't know how it happened but the block some how got cracked. Not about to drive all the way back home without at least getting on the water, we slapped some JB weld on there, waited an hour and took the boat out. That was 8 years ago and the boat is still going strong. HA!

weld of course. when i bought my 240z mine´s are filled with bondo and have a bad aspect :fmad:. i back the system to the original handles:mrgreen:.

but if you like shaved handle door, please weld it for no problems on future with bondo.

i hope this helps.

I didnt mean JB weld in particular but there are several different epoxy/glues that are said to be stronger or just as strong as a weld.

A buddy of mine and I drove a recently purchased used mastercraft ski boat down to the lake to test it out. I don't know how it happened but the block some how got cracked. Not about to drive all the way back home without at least getting on the water, we slapped some JB weld on there, waited an hour and took the boat out. That was 8 years ago and the boat is still going strong. HA!

Yeah thats one of the uses on the back of the JB Weld bottles.

I didnt say you should use it but If your stuck with someone that has a welder but probably cant weld Id look at it as an option.

I chose the spal 7 on ebay, and two popper which kinda suck cus they stick out a bit. Hooked up the solonoids to the door handle and all seems good. i cant remember the name of the cold welding glue I chose but I think it was lord, and seems to be holding up to this day,(remeber to prep surface or will pop off later).