HybridZ

What cam should I use?

I just found out I am going to keep another new cam. I had taken my car to a **** shop and they screwed my old one up pretty good. all the lobes are pretty much ground down. The cam was a comp 294, very aggressive. I have a set of dart iron eagle 200cc heads, wanted alum. but didnt have the cash for them. What would be a good cam to use? Since it is for my 71 350Z I dont want it to be a torque moster cam. I would like my power to be that of a turbo car, pulling strong from mid-range up to top end. It needs a low idle and not quit as aggressive as my old cam. Any ideas?

The Comp 294S solid lifter the cam you had? Or was it an Extreme Energy hydraulic? I do not like the EE grinds as I think they have significantly reduced reliability with the lobe profiles they are using. If you need a cam that aggressive, don't monkey around and just go roller. I really like the Comp 282S for a street car. Or if you want hydraulic, the Comp 280 Magnum. Either cam should idle about 800 rpm or so, but the solid lifter cam is probably worth 40 hp. Should pull well from 2500-6500. Doesn't require a lot of valve spring or high rpm. Very similar to the power of my 280AR solid roller, I've just got more lift. Smaller cams I recommend Crane Energizers, but the energizer 284 cam is a POS IMO. Where did you take your car to so I can avoid them in the future...

The Comp 280 Magnum is a hydraulic flat tappet. It is a good cam for what you are trying to do. The solid will make more power, but you will need to check and adjust the valve lash regularly, which may be something you don't want to undertake as you are having someone else install the cam. The hydraulic will be much less work, but the trade off is slightly less power depending on the flow of your heads. If you are going to drive the car quite a bit, I would get the hydraulic lifter cam.

It was this place right next to my house of 45th and duval. I think its called hyde park auto, Im not sure though. I havent botherd to even look there way since they screwed my car up! Now my car is at master tech and I highley reccomend them if you ever need to take your car anywhere. The guys name who is working my car is duke and he is one smart cookie.

The cam I had was the Extreme Energy hydraulic 294. I dont need a cam that aggressive, I just took some bad advice from someone and got that one. (I have roller rockers as well) Duke reccomended the Comp 280 Magnum, is this the cam you use? What would be better, solid or hydro?

AS ALWAYS CALL CRANE 1 386-258-6174 BEFORE BUYING BUT YES THIS IS ONE OF THE BETTER CAMS IVE USED WHEN THE 114681 is just to much cam.

comp cams #12-221-5 is similar but rougher idle

http://dab7.cranecams.com/SpecCard/DisplayCatalogCard.asp?PN=113841&B1=Display+Card

http://www.cranecams.com/master/apps/chevy21.htm#1. PowerMax

fairly mild solid lifter flat tappet cam with good mid range power, I like to use it in 383 camaros/novas ETC. that have manual trans and 3.36- 3.54 gears, requires headers and good flowing intake

power range 3000-6500rpm with good mid and higher range torque, idle very noticeable lope

114 LSA 238/248 duration .480/.500 lift