HybridZ

Fuel pump- Best and quitest.. please help!!

This post probably should be posted in fuel delivery but it is for a V8 and I need the hits...

Anyway I have searched the site and there is not much on external fuel pumps.

We need a large posting for the future..

I have read that several people are not happy with the Holley because they are so loud..

And I think the Mallory 110 maybe quite but the one posting I found it was said that it failed with only a couple of hours on it....

So would anyone that is using a electric external fuel pump please let us know if its quite and if it has been dependable..

Thanks

I am using the MSD inline pump. It's only about $80 and has enough flow and pressure for the LT1. I found it very noisy, but then after I installed the surge tank with a secondary low pressure feed pump, the MSD pump got very quiet....I can barely hear it now.

I think that actually feeding the MSD pump with a bit of pressure at the inlet makes all the difference, it doesn't have to work very hard to 'pull' fuel.

msd-2225.jpg

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MSD-2225&Ntt=msd fuel pump&Ntk=KeywordSearch&N=110&PartSearchFlag=

I have the Napa aftermarket replacement for the Ford Van with the 360 FI motor. I mounted it with the rubber covered hose clampy like things (technical term) over the rubber sleave that comes with it to a bracket that I again mounted with a chunk of rubber to the body. I've only heard the fuel pump once (other than the standard whine of it priming before start-up) and that was during a vigorous climb up a curvy mountain road. It was $120.

Two years later when I did the LT1/Tomahawk swap I went to get the same pump from Napa and they said it was discontinued but a replacement was available from Holley. Guess what? Same pump in a different box. Something special about the new cardboard box I guess because the "Holley" pump was $40 more. :roll:

Mounted it the same way in the Tomahawk as in my car and again no noise. Tomahawk is a roadster though, so it may be noisier but I can't hear it.

Dan' date='

Can you tell me more, what year ford, or better yet what kind of a holley was it? was it generic or made to fit the ford???[/quote']

Urrrg... I was afraid you would ask that. I never did have a direct application. Our Napa has some good counter guys. When I explained it came from a late model full size Ford van and it was an external pump for the 360 FI motor they found it right away. I don't think there are very many V8 FI motors that use external pumps.

360 Ford? No, that can't be right. Must be a 351. Was it a 460? Oh great, this isn't helping. Sorry. Give me a little time. I'll try to find a receipt.

My 86 F100 302 had one mounted on the inside of the frame rail. Easy to get to and change. I changed over to a carbed system and did the tank pickup swap, I can't remember if there was a pump inside the tank or not. Anyway, I went to napa and got an universal electric pump and used it. It ran fine until I hooked my 5th wheel to it. 25mph up a slight incline. It was starving for gas. Just make sure you get a good one.

Went to my local parts store and told them my problem...

They too knew the Holleys were loud..

But when I told "John" how much pressure I needed he said I have just the pump!

Dan, you will like this, its from a 87-88 F150 with the 5.8..

He said they are very quite... max output is 50 GPM.

So anyway it will be several months before I can really run it to listen but what the heck $90.00.

Anyone think I will have problems with the GPM??

I'm kind of planing on the LT4 upgrade some winter after my beauty is on the road running..

Terry

I use a Carter CRT-P4594 that I bought from Summit http://store.summitracing.com/

The bracket has rubber grommets and the pump doesn't make much noise. I mounted it to the outside of the spare tire well using stove bolts and put some self adhesive rubber based sound proofing pads on both sides.

You can hear the pump running but it is not very loud. Actually, once the engine is running you don't notice it at all. :D

BTW, it's only $59.95.

that's basically my point. you are going to hear it... even running my car now with open headers (and it is seriously loud this way), i can hear the fuel pump. the way you mount it has a lot to do with the amount of noise that gets transferred inside the car. if it's mounted solidly to the car (even with the rubber grommets that usually come with the mounting bracket... not so good on noise reduction), it will be noisier than mounting it with something like paul pointed out.

I had good luck with my Mallory pumps. In fact, I just bought a comp110 last month and I'm using it as a feeder pump to my EFI pump on my turbo Z. However, you should run a filter before the pump.

I also have a Mallory comp140 on my V8 Z and it has been work well for a few years.

FYI, you need a low pressure pump, not an EFI pump.