HybridZ

AUTOMATIC SHIFTERS

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

WHAT SHIFTERS FOR A 700R4 FIT IN THE STOCK CONSOLE? I'M HAVING A HARD TIME FINDING ANYTHING REMOTLY CLOSE TO THE SMALL SHIFTER AREA. I HAVE A MANUAL CONSOLE BTW AND IF THE AUTO CONSOLE IS BIGGER I'LL PICK ONE OF THOSE UP.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

COOL I'LL GIVE YOU A CALL TONIGHT... I WAS GOING TO CALL YOU ANYWAY BECAUSE THE KID BOUGHT MY CAR, AND I WANT TO TAKE THOSE OFF YOUR HANDS AS SOON AS THEY ARE DONE FOG SEALING OUR ROADS.

I mounted a B&M rachet shifter in my 240. In order to get it to fit in the original hole and low enough, I had to fab up a shifter bracket that mounted the shifter to the trans. The shifter hung about 4" past the end of the trans. Works good, looks good. I also used a shift cable.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

RIGHT NOW THE CAR HAS A B&M PROSTICK AND I HATE IT I AM LOOKING FOR A SHITER WITH CLOSE TO NORMAL OPERATION BUT STILL PERFORMANCE... I'M SICK OF GRAB HANDLE, PULL BACK, LET GO, PULL BACK, ETC. AND IF I WANT TO GO INTO REVERSE THATS A WHOLE NEW PILE OF CRAP TALK ABOUT TWO HAND SHIFTING.

As long as we're on the subject, I used the stock shifter with my 700R4, and it's a pain in the butt to get adjusted right. I still have trouble getting it to go into Park.

Like PROJECTRB, I'd like to go with a different shifter that works better but I don't want something that looks like it just came out of a NASCAR cockpit. It's a cool look, just not what I'm going for. Any suggestions for a low-key aftermarket shifter would be greatly appreciated.

I kind of like the Cheetah, but they don't make a 4-speed version. :-(

Thanks,

I used the stock shifter from my '86 Trans Am donor. the T handle sticks up through the old 5 speed boot and looks stock. If you used the Camaro eight ball version it'd look just like a manual from the outside. I installed a thin plate over the large hole and the assembly sits down in the recessed place. I cut a ~1" hole for the cable to go through.

Best thing is i located the wire that is for the park/neutral position and ran my starter wire through it to the relay. Did the backup lights the same way through the reverse.

Very happy with it.

I'd be glad to get you one later today or tomorrow. A fella on here wants to see how i made my Datsun gas pedal work with the TPI's factory throttle cable. I'll get pics of both areas while i'm at it.

You'll have to excuse the rough, unfinished, somewhat messy interior though. Been havin' too much fun drivin' it to finish it like i should. Hopefully this Winter.

take care

I'd be glad to get you one later today or tomorrow. A fella on here wants to see how i made my Datsun gas pedal work with the TPI's factory throttle cable. I'll get pics of both areas while i'm at it.

You'll have to excuse the rough' date=' unfinished, somewhat messy interior though. Been havin' too much fun drivin' it to finish it like i should. Hopefully this Winter.

take care[/quote']

Charles,

Thanks! I would also like to see the pics of the throttle cable.

Finally got a couple of shots of my shifter. Excuse the messy interior.

index.cfm?p=gi&i=10479&r=3894&t=reg

index.cfm?p=gi&i=10478&r=6483&t=reg

Second pic is hard to tell how its mounted but maybe you get the idea. Been working great for over a year now.

The Camaro shifter would look even more like a manual trans shifter. They're round with the lock out button right on top.

qwik240z, i posted pics of the throttle in the fuel delivery section.

later

BTW, that red knob beside the tunnel is for my cutouts. Quiet as a 4 cyl when closed and straight pipes when open. Such a difference that i'm .7 sec and 7mph slower in the quarter when closed.

I used the stock shifter from my '86 Trans Am donor. the T handle sticks up through the old 5 speed boot and looks stock. I installed a thin plate over the large hole and the assembly sits down in the recessed place.

Charles,

It looks like you mounted the entire unit above the tunnel but your description says it sits down in the recessed place.

Can you explain? The shift I have from the 2002 camaro would sit up too high like this. Is the 86 shifter short?

Thanks.

I thought it was more of a valley than it was/looks like. Its been 2 years since the install the details were a little vague. Seems like the T/A shifter had a little knot to the center of that main pivot on the bottom and it sat down in a little valley but the pic seems like its on top. If you squint and hold your left foot up you can sorta see the depression. All that slide gate stuff and the prox switch assy sit up in the boot. in the pic the boot looks empty but if you feel to the right of the T-handle its packed full.

Full Park to full Low1 will slide the console ~1/4" fore and aft. I never bolted the console down so not a prob for me. You maybe could modify a little to eliminate that.

My shifter looks pretty tall but i'm not sure how the later F-bodies compare. Like i said, most of the bulk sits up in the boot so it works pretty well. But yea, when i first held the shifter in my hand i thought no way it was gonna fit under there.