HybridZ

Datalog - Air Temperature vs. Coolant Temperature

sims76

Here's an interesting Megasquirt datalog that I took this morning on the way to the inspection station. Keep in mind that I do not have an intercooler and I have the air filter stuck right on the turbo inlet. Very Hot!!!

Notice how the air intake temperature is reasonable (ambient was about 80 degrees F) until the water warms up and the thermostat opens and the radiator gets hot.

Keep in mind that I calibrated this sensor myself using temperature/resistance pairs so it may be off a little, but it seems to be accurate within 10 degrees F in my experience.

Just thought I'd pass this along. Time to install the intercooler and put the intake in front of the radiator where it belongs.

-Sims

air_coolant_temp.jpg

That is pretty much what I saw. I pull air from behind the radiator and when the thermostat opens I get 135 degrees F with no intercooler and no boost, just hot air from engine compartment. The IC fixed that. It is a lot of fun to play with the datalogging and see what is happening with all the sensors. I want an electronic fuel presser sensor that logs to my MSnS or to the Tech edge unit.

Ditto Here. I was seeing 162 degrees at idle under some circumstances. Not bad for only having moved about five miles total, huh? :lol:

I am running a 160 degree thermostat, and tweaked enrichments to not come in at the temperatures they normally would. This was one of thereasons I went with MS, was I could tweak and run the lower thermostat without the fuel enrichment being on all the time.

I have had very good luck with 160 thermos in the desert with carbbed cars, and figured "why not". I change to a 170 or 180 during winter, though. So I am somewhat diseased...

You guys might consider the 160 thermo yourself to help performance if you are seeing the temps track similarly.

Good Datalog, information good for everyone, not just MS users!

• 1 year later...

That is great news! I am going to be switching to standalone and getting rid of the AFM and restrictive cold air intake. Now I see I don't have to run a cold air intake at all. That is exciting news to me! My intercooler is pretty efficient too.

Thanks.

The only doubt I have is that the reaction time of the sensor isn't that great and when I read 99 degrees under 14psi for 10 seconds or so I'm not convinced that the temperature didn't actually spike to much higher......

Any thoughts on this?

I'm using an air temperature sensor from a KIA.