HybridZ

Sub-frame connectors and rear sway-bar clearance

That's pretty much the deal. Turns out the best place to attach the sub frame connectors is right in the path of the sway bar. You can run without one or get one of the rear mount types. I've seen ones that come with new vertical supports (the pieces that connect the rear "A" arm pivots and rear diff crossmember to the unibody). The new vertical supports have extra "ears" with holes to bolt the sway bar clamps to. Sorry I don't have any names, or links, or pics. Maybe someone else can help.

Why can't you 280 guys use the rear mounted 240 bars? I seem to recall that there is something attached to the uprights in back of the diff, but I don't remember what it is. If it could be moved... well there's your answer.

If you could use the rear mounted bar I think that would be a lot easier than what you've got there.

It's hard to be sure from the picture, but demidion's bar looks like it would bind on compression (just based on the picture).

My subframe ties in right where the original sway bay attached. Fortunately, I have an after market rear mount style sway bar (which I Don't use). My experience is that these cars handle better without a rear sway bay. They get out of the corner better if you tune rear roll stiffness with springs.

DanMcGrath_6.jpg

AAAHHHH!!!!! Ok um.. trust me on this, a 240 rear mount bar is NOT a 'bolt on' to a 280z. I tried it, and ended up roasting my slip yoke boots on the drive axles, and messing up the drivers side shaft pretty good.. It would seem that the 240's had longer 'uprights' behind the diff.. or maybe it was just a diffrent mustache bar.. either way, it doesnt have enough clearance back there in a 280z, and will cause... issues. FWIW, I'm running w/o a rear sway bar (aftermarket front bar.. BIG one..) and I find it has a little more body roll, but does seam to pull out of corners better..