HybridZ

Why not 2 V6 engines in tandum?

BrandonsZ

I was wondering (I know I do a lot of wondering here) but has anyone thought of putting two V6 engines in tandum for a cheap way to duplicate the smoothness of a V12 with the power of a V8? :? It would probably be an interesting project and the braging rights for originality I think would be high. I don't much care for the free space that is left in front of the SBC. But it's such a minor point.

How would you connect two cranks to 1 transmission? Also you would have balance power, it would weight a ton, you would have to cool 2 engines, and a host of other problems, absolutely no advantage to simply building a single engine with the output of two stock engines.

However I do remember the adds for the twinstar eldorado's... :shock:

Would it not be possible to just 'bolt' the back side of the front engine's crank to the front of the rear engine? (assuming a front/back layout ussing two existing V6 motors) It would take some math to figure out the angle to attach the two engines.. so as to get a smoth running firing order and such. And a custom fuel/ignition setup of course.. I've met a guy who stuck two rotary engines together (back to back, custom center shaft) and runs 'both' (although it's really one engine now..) off ONE set of sensors/harness/ecu.. a little easier with a wankle I supose, but I think anythig is possible. Sounds cool!

Would it not be possible to just 'bolt' the back side of the front engine's crank to the front of the rear engine? (assuming a front/back layout ussing two existing V6 motors) It would take some math to figure out the angle to attach the two engines.. so as to get a smoth running firing order and such. And a custom fuel/ignition setup of course.. I've met a guy who stuck two rotary engines together (back to back, custom center shaft) and runs 'both' (although it's really one engine now..) off ONE set of sensors/harness/ecu.. a little easier with a wankle I supose, but I think anythig is possible. Sounds cool!

Back to back with two twin rotor would mean that the custom center shaft would be shaped something resembling of a 'T'? If it were to be setup like that, the engine bay would need to be wide enough to host it. The same goes for two V6 if they were to be setup like this..

Back to back with two twin rotor would mean that the custom center shaft would be shaped something resembling of a 'T'? If it were to be setup like that' date=' the engine bay would need to be wide enough to host it. The same goes for two V6 if they were to be setup like this..[/quote']

Huh? As for rotary, it is a STRAIGHT shaft, with splines for the rotor's to drive.. it's basicaly just bolting the two twin rotor engines together with longer bolts..like a sandwich. It's hard to explain here.. but two V6 engine's bolted together crank to crank is kind of the same idea.. either way, why would the engine bay need to be wider?

• 2 weeks later...

It's really quite simple to connect two engines. Use a chain coupler, and put one half on the crankshaft flywheel end and the other half on the crankshaft pulley end then set the front engine half way between the power strokes of the rear engine and hook up the chain.

I had two 440 Dodge mag's installed in a 32 Bantam this way. Worked great. Problem was getting it to hook up.

it's basicaly just bolting the two twin rotor engines together with longer bolts..like a sandwich

Well not quite that simple - yes it looks like this when it is complete but I believe there is more involved. I am looking at doing just that a 4 rota - using custom eccentric shaft, ends and coupler with standard 13b rota's and housings.

Hey did you know that corvette has looking at a wankel? see http://www.monito.com/wankel/corvette.html

even a 4 rota

They say a 2 rota is like a 6 cylinder so a 4 would be like a 12 but much smaller and only 5 moving parts internally, the shaft and the 4 rota's. How many in a V12 at least (assume 4 values per cylinder) 50 at a quick count more like 150.

• 2 weeks later...

ZGringo is absolutely right. We basically bolt two sixes up together with the chain coupler to make a "V-12" on our small craft in the navy. It's actually very simple, and produces a lot more power. Not nearly as smooth or as much power as a regular V-12, but an interesting way to do it, and not quite as expensive.

Thanks NZeder.

That's my point, cheaper, but lots of power.

Now consider two 3.8L V6 from the Thunderbird SC (supercharged) in the late 80's early 90's. :shock:

That engine was really nice even on that fat 4000lb+ Thunderbird, just one could be compared to a V8, but two? Possible salvage? It could be really cheap :-D and when you pop the hood, BAM! two engines :shock::shock: , people would go nuts :bonk:. A nice drag car with a higher possible top end than a large V8, but it might drive decent on a country road with the right suspension. Hooking up might be trouble with so much weight over the front wheels.

Imagine those nay-sayers when you pop the hood :eek2::coollook::rockon::puke::fmad::):o:shock::P:-D

A bit off topic but where else can you talk about twin engines in a car.

I read in Kit Car mag a while back about some dudes with too much $ take 2 350 chevy's and weld them together, joined the cranks and made a single V16 (no motor adapters.. it was a single unit when completed.

Also up here in the Formula 1200 1600, and 2000 series, some wacko tried to get past the ruels with a v8 made from a custom block and crank and took two GSXR 750 engines and made a wicked and light V8 that could be lifted by one guy.. even with oil in the crank case!!!

Got disqualified instantly! hehehe wicked car nonethe less.

Guest 9c1cruiser

Hey all, phew...i'm back from overseas (for now) and am leaving again in January with my new unit that is already there.

Anyway, now that the internet is all hooked up, i have spent hours on all the Z-Car sites!

I have day-dreamed of doing GM 60-degree V6's together before. Two early 2.8L's maybe.....cheapest way to go and plenty of parts (junk-yard; new replacement; AND PERFORMANCE PARTS). They would take up less space than the 90-degree V's? They would definately be lighter....there is even an aluminum block that was and still is offered along with aluminum heads.

BUT, what you need to do is find two really tiny V6's maybe....less length means better balance for the cams and crank etc etc.

Oh yeah....that Monito site has been one of my favoerites since it came out....one of the most informative sites out there. Yes I am a huge rotary nut.

• 1 month later...
Guest Vegasguy

In reference to how do you connect the engines, here's this:

I remember reading about this a few (many) years back. Emerson Fittapaldi used to race a VW bug down in Brazil with 2 air-cooled flat fours tied nose to nose. When I say "tied", I literally mean the cranks were bolted together. From what I remember, It ran like a scalded cat, spanked everything in site and usually blew up halfway through the race.

Schematic here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=26562

Pics here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=26561

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=26560

You know, mounted under the hatch with nothing up front might make for a VERY amusing Z car......hmmmmmm

VegasGuy

71 240 on the rotisserie

78 L82 SBC waiting to go in