HybridZ

Boy This Is A Sweet L28ET Custom Intake...$750

slownrusty

Guest SeanyD300zxT

I was going to say more looks more like an IC end tank with a TB mount. you'd get more volume, but I always thought you'd want a smoother transition than the way the stacks come into the chamber.

LOL - Looks pretty close to what I'm planning on fabricating next time I'm in the same hemisphere as my car. I've ordered 6 velocity stacks from TWM, a little better looking that those jobbies. I'm also only going to use a 60mm TB on mine, 80mm for the Z is overkill. Would have some off-idle issues with a TB that big. Probably not too nice to park, roll away from the lights, etc. I can do it for a lot less than 750USD, although the stacks are $35 each.

Doug

My friend and I are building a stroker turbo engine for my 240z. He recommended I get a throttle body between 70mm to 95mm for my application, so I recently purchase a 90mm Q45 TB.

Is a 80-90mm TB really an overkill to use on a custom intake manifold for a stroker turbo application? The 80-90mm throttle bodies are being used on Skyline, Supra, and 300ZX motors in Japan. I've heard of SR20s using them also.

It all depends on the application. If you are street driving and autox, it's too big. If you are looking for big dyno #s or drag-only - go for it. It probably wouldn't make much difference driveability wise on the strip, and would probably net you a few HP. But, remember that Scottie made upwards of 500hp with a 3.8L engine with a 62mm TB. How big of piping are you going to use on the IC? 3 inch is only 75mm, and no turbo that you are going to use on a datsun has an outlet larger that 2.5" or 63mm. The flow through the cylinder head is going to limit your power more that the flow through the TB, IMO. 65-70mm would be as large as I would go on the 3.0L, but again, that is my opinion.

Doug

welds look a little sloppy ,transition also looks questionable, nice but not exactly greatly engineered.

Hrm, I am not sure I can agree with this. I agree that the fabrication are a bit sloppy, but not terribly so. This intake actually has a nice transition from the TB area into #1 & #2 cylinders, and the plemun tapers nicely down the length of the manifold. This is one of the rare plenums that actually addresses fully the transition to the early cylinders, not having a terribly steep angle for the air to turn.

Also of note is the fact the intake runners taper to increase air velocity as it enters the intake ports. There are lots of little details like that on this particular manifold that indicate that the person designing this had a good idea of how air flows. It's also nice to see the the plenum volume isn't largely increased over stock, despite the modifications to the plenum.

An in all I'd say that it's probably the best L6 intake design I've seen... it looks like it has been built with the "no expense spared" approach.

I have to agree with Drax240z. It is a nice set up. I studied a few manifold designs before building a pair for the V12. This is the optimal design for a higher RPM engine. For more low end torque you would want longer/ thinner runners.

I put ram stacks inside my manifolds as well. One reason was to even out the runner length. The other was because I found them in Ferrari manifolds as well as other racing motors. They must know a thing or two.

The throttle body may be over kill. But at a certain point wouldn’t the large size and design be the same as using individual runners with no plenum? BTW mine are 3" each with no off idle issues. (stock)

My fabrication turned out about the same.

I say talk him down and try it.

Is a 80-90mm TB really an overkill to use on a custom intake manifold for a stroker turbo application?

Yes, turbo car need much smaller TB than n/a cars. a 60mm TB on a turbo car is good for close to 400HP vs about 250 in a n/a car.

An 85mm TB is good for 850HP turbo vs about 490 na. The problem with the big TB is that more air increases with small movement of the plate making the car jerky (specially in a light car vs a 4000lb sedan).

Has anyone seen Arizona Z Car's fuel injection intake manifold? It has a 2.5" TB in the middle, facing towards the engine, fuel injector mounts, and fuel rail. Putting the TB in the middle could even out the flow to each cylinder, correcting the problem of the stock intake manifold giving 1 & 2 cylinders the most air. But, I'm not much of an expert on air flow either, but it looks pretty cool ! I wonder how you would do your intake pipe with this, bring it over the valve cover?

I don think its such a bad fab job.He has polished the welds on the exterior and without that much weld penetration (bead on the interior)it would be prone to cracking at the seams.I cant comment on flow characteristics or any other aspects but I wouldnt think that bead would have any negetive effects.