HybridZ

Engine Under Glass...

Guest butlersZ

Guest butlersZ

Ok guys, just a thought, and maybe a crazy one that I should have kept to myself...

With all the crazy engine swaps that have been performed on Z's, there is one I haven't seen or heard of anyone doing. I'm sure everyone has seen or heard of the "hemi under glass" right? Does a wheelie down the whole quarter mile.

Ok well what about putting an engine in the rear of the Z :shock:

Kinda like making a ferarri style engine swap with the engine being visible under the hatch glass, just like a ferarri. I think it could be done at a fairly reasonable cost, it's just doing it. What do you guys think?

Possibly use a sideways GM v-8 like in the front wheel drive caddies or a better motor, I think the SBC could fit in there with a little modifications. Heck maybe it's possible to put in a SBC with the transaxle that the Ultima GTR uses, i don't know.

Hey at least those hybridZ traction problems would be handled now egh...

Perhaps I have finally lost it :roll:

A 1970-1976 Cadillac Eldorado came with a 500cid (8.2L) with a transaxle. You could put the whole thing in the back of the Z. It wasn't sideways.

That is if you don't mind sucking gas fumes?

Then you could turn the front into a trunk and fill it with cement to offset the weight and balance the car.

I thought a V8 in the front and a V6 in the back would be a cheaper way to get a V14? :shock: Think about it. :twisted:

In the 80's Honda experimented with a direct drive turbine engine. I bet the idle was kinda high :shock: ? You think? Of course the horsepower potential is mindblowing for the size of the engine. Pretty good power density there.

"Do you know how fast you were going?" 8)

"Well sir, I stopped counting the revolutions on my speedometer when I broke the speed of sound." :D

"No really, do you know how fast you were going, my radar gun just says 'EEE'." 8)

Guest butlersZ

Yeah, something woul definitely have to be done with that front end. You could put a Porsche boxer six in back than a gas tank up front and maybe it would be possible to use a 959 AWD configuration to add some more weight to front of the Z. That sounds weird huh? add more weight to the front of the Z, heh. Building a firewall like that in a ferrari, with a little window to see the motor, wouldn't be too hard. All this is just an idea to toss around until someone actually has the $$$ and finds the perfect engine/transaxle combination to fit.

Another thing to add weight to the front would be that tool box that every Z needs to carry, space wouldn't be so limited then.

than a gas tank up front

Yeah I like my gas tank in the back where its not the first thing to crush in a head on collision! :shock:

Guy

I'm usually more concerned about the jerk behind me than what I may hit...

I've been looking at the Ultima's quite often (as I'd love to have one in the future) and way the Z is designed it would probably be very, very hard to do a longitudinal mid-engine design. Now, if you went transverse like with what was mentioned on the MR2 setup that would work but something like what the Ultima uses would be quite hard to do.

Since the passengers are sitting so far back there just isn't enough space for an engine and a transaxle to fit back there without hitting the seats. Look at some mid-engine cars... the cabin is always set forward and have a short front end. The z is just the opposite. A MR setup could be done but it would definitely have to be transverse.

The MR2 setup would work pretty well... but if you think about it for a sec... you could actually use just about any FWD setup that you wanted. Just move it in back and it will still propel you forward but get much better grip than the majority of FWD's are capable of doing.

The only problem you need to solve is, the strength of the tranny. You need to find a tranny that'll handle some good power and then find a engine that'll make some good power.

You'll definitely have an awesome strip car but taking it to the track might be a bit scary. Having a gas tank in front would help a lot, especially if you can get a good sized one in there like 20 gallon or so (20 gallon tank filled up would be somewhere around 160 lbs not including the weight of the tank). That would help somewhat but from there you could also do a tube frame chassis setup. This would help increase safety in a front end collision and increase some front end weight. Also, for the best cooling possible, you'll probably want to run your coolant lines to the front of the car and have the radiator up there as well (most MR cars have this setup). Won't add much weight but will help.

All in all it is possible, could be a sweet drag car, could be a bit rough as a track car, but would definitely be unique. Worth it? ..... guess that all depends on the person. I thought about actually doing something like this but with the cabin being so far back it would make it a very big pain to make it a worthy car on the track, which is what I want.

Guest butlersZ

I have been looking at some of the engine/trans setups in the 911's and the wheels are turning in my head. A Datsun Porsche conversion would be interesting.

well..

back to the bbcaddy and transaxle.... gears can be swapped in that trans so the front of the motor(pullies, water pump etc.) would be the rear most part of the drivetrain.. it has been done before.

open the hatch to check your belts..

just one more way to make an extremely rear heavy idea of a swap even more rear biased and even more outrageous(foolish?)..

Sam

Well, i've accually thought about it before, but my brother said i was crazy. And once i looked at that front end again i thought "yea, that is crazy, but duable. I thing i might end up being rear engine instead of mid engine though.

I personally would put the gas tank in front, with lots of reinforced steel.

Guest butlersZ

What about rotary power in the back? The engines are small but powerfull it's just adapting a transaxle that seems to be the complicated part. Besides the rotary would not weigh too much now would it? That way it wouldn't be totally rear biased. I don't know much about the rotary but it's still an idea. And with a fuel cell up front the exhuast would be real easy to run. I could imagine how people at the gas station would look at you popping the hood to put gas in.