HybridZ

I DO have a problem now.. PICS!!! evil Z hates me!!!!!

Guest ON3GO

hey guys.

car has been low on oil lately, and blowing white smoke a tad, now out of the pcv port on the valve cover...

looked at the block and saw this..

full_849_p27187.jpg

full_849_p27188.jpg

full_849_p27189.jpg

car feels kinda slow too.

also those ngk-R spark plugs didnt wanna fire the car at all, and i took tjem out and they were covered in oil.

so put some boush super's in there and its sorta running now.

so am i right?

mike

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The L engine heads like to walk around unless clamped with studs. What I see is weeping at gasket. Head may have been hot once and warped slightly and lost seal. Clean it up and see if it reseals. I have run these weepers b4 for quite a while. May want to turn down the boost some....yeah,right.

Assume compression chks OK, but keep an eye on it and your coolant level. Pop rad cap and see if it huffs at you, under press...cud be blown to coolant jkt.

Mike, ya' better pull your oil dipstick and look to see if there is any water bubbles on it !! :shock: If there is, you've blown the head gasket for certain (( OVERBOOSTER)) :? If your not going to run aset of ARP headstud kits,better keep your boost below whatever you tossed your gasket at this "go-round" !!

If your gasket hasn't shifted or begun to degrade from the event,you may be able to re-torqe your head and continue driving for some time. :wink:

Otherwise,your SOL :oops:

So do the right thing and pick up a set of ARP's for the head and a good gasket.Then you can boost a little higher !

You patient friend...........Vince :D

i really cant afford arp head bolts/studs. im really that broke.

i do have money for a felpro gasket but thats IT.

boost has been only at 10PSI max, but vince you saw how my boost is.. tappers off like mad.

mike

Best bet is to start getting the parts that you will want to replace when you change out the gasket. If you stay off the gas it should last you until you can get the parts and time to pull the head. I had mine decked and cleaned up for 100.00 maybe 150.00 in Arlington (just west of Dallas) about 2 years ago.

I'm not surprised it runing funny. Looks like you got into some mild detionation and it got the best of you. Happens to the best of us.

If you can upgrade to some ARP studs and use the Nissan gasket. This is a proven combination. If the block and head are flat you shouldn't have any more proublems unless you let it detionate. I know money is tight but, you'll be glad you did. The ARP studs are reusable so you might be able to find a set on Ebay or something.

Torque on at least three steps to 60 ft-lb. Recommend stock gasket only.

This is a good point and one that should be done by anyone wanting an engine to last or if it's gonna be beat on like we all do to our cars.

The Nissan gasket is not that much is it? Have you tried Courtesy Nissan? I live pretty close them. (20 min.)If they are asking crazy shipping charges I could pick it up and ship it to you via UPS or USPS.

well thing is we did a compression test on this motor and it was good.

thing is i think this just happened the other day.

this really sucks...

mike

Guest bastaad525

uh... since when are ARP's considered mandatory for this level of boost? Run a nissan/felpro gasket, and nissan turbo headbolts, should be fine for quite a ways. I'm running the nissan gasket and head bolts at 14psi and no problems for a few months now, was at 10psi before for about a year. And my car likes to run warm... some of what had been said on here about that really had me panicked, as my temps were getting up to 200* regularly during the hot summer days.... well my head never did any 'walking', it's all holding together great and runs the best it ever has and I drive the snot out of it.

desided to maybe go with some arp studs and a HKS metal headgasket.

way i figure it.. ill have my new greddy EBC and i want to rase the boost up more.

so this is the way to go.

now i just need to figure out how i can get about 300 bucks.

mike

Tell you what' date=' since your in a bind, and I have 5 or 6 of these HKS gaskets (used but usable) I'll donate one to the cause.....

All you have to come up with are the studs now, hows that?? [img']http://www.superkaos.com/phpbb/images/smiles/a.gif[/img]

no way!!! dude if you wanna do that your my hero.

but hows this.

once i get some cash ill throw it ya way.

deal?

mike

so guys alittle help..

where can i get some ARP head studs for a good price and in stock?

wtb as soon as i can.

cheaper the better!

part number would be sweet to so i wont mess the order up.

thanks guys... man i love this website..

mike

uh... since when are ARP's considered mandatory for this level of boost?

No one said it was mandatory I don't believe but, it is a good idea. Especially with a motor that is being leaned on by it's owner. I personally ran 14 psi with used head bolts for about 3 years before I changed when I redid my motor. The things is that since he is going to have the head off it's a good time to chnage out if upgrades are wanted or needed.

It's just my opinon and I and others feel like it's a good recomendation.