HybridZ

L28ET Potential

240Z-DET

Man, Garrett really has me thinking now. After I went for a ride in his car on Sunday and I am really contemplating switching to the L28 turbo. If I sell all of my LT1 components and buy a L28ET conversion, I'd have over $3000 to invest in the turbo system alone AFTER I buy the ET engine and transmission. The boost onset was so smooth I could not believe it. It nailed me in my seat. I'm flip floppin' like a presidential candidate.

I never would thought a Z with a stock turbo L28 would do anything for me. I was dead wrong. As of now, I am evaluating if I am going to continue with the LT1. Garrett, when I see you again, expect a beat down. A nice one, but a beat down none-the-less.

Rob, are you becoming a convert??? But for 3k you could build one badass l28et. Or you could build the turbo LT1 and become the next darius. Imo I like the l28et for its simiplicity and ease to work on, however the simplicity limits its power somewhat. For big power Id go lt1, for around 350hp Id build me one badass l28et. Man your in a hard spot, I wouldnt know what to do, lol

I'm not a convert yet, but I am a believer.

I've assembled 95% of the parts needed for the LT1 turbo. Now I just need the nickel and dime parts i.e. the stainless braided lines, the numerous AN fittings, hoses, blah blah blah. You know, the stuff that quickly adds up to $1500 before you know it. $1500 in a L28ET and I'm doing 12's. Hey, for what it's worth, I may just finish the LT1 and afterwards, build a L28ET. That's the best of both worlds. I wonder how I could hide a second Z though?

Turbo the LT1 and have double the power of the L28ET.

Double the power isnt always a good thing. Darius has over 600 HP and great suspension components wide tires the works. And he still cant get poer to the ground(soon to change) More power isnt always a good thing.

Yeah Rob!

Hehe, I just now saw this post, so I hope I am not too late! I have to say the look on your face is quite possibly the best of anyone that has ridden in my car! Completely blank! And a little wide eyed. :shock:

You certainly are trying to do something unique and that I think is cool. On the other hand you could build a REALLY wicked L28et for that kinda money! If I were you I would go pickup a zxt and swap motors right away and get yourself into the 12's for about $1000-1500 and then be building the REAL L28et in the meantime. The way I see it, you were planning on going in stages with the V-8 anyways . . .

I am making a little less than 300hp now and I truly believe that I could run some LOW 12's if I put some real meats on the back of my car. I am pulling 12.7's with 1.9 60's Now! on 215 DR's!! Imagine if I put some 245 or 265 DR's back there! And if my clutch didnt slip . . . hehe

Anyways, I extend to you an invitation for next Sunday. Ivo and I will be running both our cars next Sun at Import Wars at Great Lakes Dragaway. I have a new tranny and clutch going in so I should see some lower time slips! Come witness the power of the L motor!! haha

Ah dont bail on that sweet LT1 turbo project! That thing sounds so sweet and this way you will have the V8 TQ and the turbo! :twisted: Best of both worlds!

It really depends if you want a ton of HP/TQ(LT1 turbo) or enough to beat most street cars(L28ET, not knocking the L28ET just saying there is more power potential with a LT1 turbo). :D Didnt you say you were estimating 540rwhp with the LT1 turbo? Yeah its excesive but can you image that on the highway! You would be eating Vipers for lunch! :twisted: You wont do that with the L28ET. Plus you already have the stuff for the LT1 turbo project and I WANT A RIDE IT THAT BEAST WHEN YOUR DONE! :twisted:

Guy

I would love to see an Lt1 turbo, but I can see it get exponentially expensive due to custom fab this and that, but 500hp isnt hard with that much motor and a turbo. Im staying L28et for me, im lazy I guess, low 13s from a 2.8 without an intercooler-I AM HIM!

The reason I looked so sh*tfaced when I rode in Garrett's Z was that I didn't expect it to be that fast. I had a 322WHP turbo SE-R that was way scarier than the Z, but it shocked me that a '83 turbo engine propelled that car like that. Another reason for the dumb a** look I had was that I figured that my LT1 should put down at least 270WHP and 300ft/lb NA which was comparable to his dyno chart. Of course, the torque curve would begin sooner, but damn his Z shocked the hell outta me. I don't see why more guys aren't doing this. You could have a low 12 second Z car for less than $3K invested. There's not much out there in terms of dollars that could touch that performance level. Garrett, you almost had me and I thank you, but the LT1 is goin' in. I'll be there next Saturday at Da Grove takin' sucker bets on your Z.

"That dude in the blue Z, man he's slow....wanna bet $100?"