HybridZ

Anyone interested in a Carbon Fiber Cowl induction hood?

Guest 240ZZ4

Guest 240ZZ4

I am going to be trying to get 15 people together to get some slick 240/260/280Z hoods, if you are at all intrested let me know I dont have priceing yet, but i will have some pricing tomarrow.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

more info and please tell me its something along the design of the vrengineering subtle z hood. I hate the 80's looking scoops that everyone has on their camero's and chevelle's etc. Something modern or z profiled would be welcomed if the price was right.

Evan (240ZZ4) called me yesterday about making a cowl induction hood for the 240/260/280Z. I talked with "Stan the Carbon Fiber Man" and I'm going to go ahead with making one to determine costs, etc. Here's the plan:

1. I'm going to use my existing hood mold.

2. I'm going to build a mold for the scoop.

3. Stan will layup and bag both and then bond them together. It will look like all 1 piece and is much cheaper then making a brand new mold.

The hoods will be basically for street use so they will be a polyester fiberglass structure with a clear CF layer on top. The process above and the materials chosen will help keep costs down. We will be able to make a hood out of the same CF/Nomex I currently use for my race hoods, but its overkill for a street application.

The hoods will be available as pin on or with an inner frame that will let you use the stock hood hinges and ceter latch. Weight will probably be around 15lbs.

I'm also thinking about making 3 cowl induction scoop molds so you will have a choice of styles - 1995 Mustang Cobra R, Z28 Camaro, or L88 Corvette. The scoops themselves will have to be sized for the hood. Stock sized scoops will probably be too wide and look funny.

Evan and his friends want the 1995 Mustnag Cobra R look so that's the one I'll do as the prototype. I'm

Let me know your opinions on the style choices below (search the NET to find pictures):

Mustang Cobra R Cowl Scoop Example

Harwood HRD-26405 - 4" tall

Z28 Cowl Scoop Examples

Harwood HRD-1114 - 4" tall

Harwood HRD-1103 - 2.5" tall - my preference

L88 Corvette Cowl Scoop Examples

http://www.supercars.net/cars/1968@$Chevrolet@$Corvette%20L88x.html

Still have to find a good example.

No timeline on this project yet. Stan normally takes 3 to 4 weeks to complete a hood depending on his schedule.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Depending on price I maybe interested.....

I wish someone would make a SS hood for our cars

One question are you going to have them make the hood with or with out vents?

*struggling to push Marcus out of the way*... we need a hood like his! It's something different!...*covers Marcus's mouth* John, can this hood be made? It's so unique and functional. I'll be the first in line to buy a hood with this design. :wink: The lighter the better, but it will get painted anyways.

!M!

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

EVERY DOMESTIC AND ALOT OF Z OWNERS HAVE A COWLED HOOD..... SO WHATS YOUR POINT?

I'D RATHER HAVE A FUCTIONAL SS SCOOPED HOOD FOR A RAM/COLD AIR EFFECT OVER A COWL, BUT COWL INDUCTION IS JUST AS GOOD IF IT COMES DOWN TO IT.

This is going to get expensive...

I have to go out and buy a scoop or a hood to use as a plug for each mold. With nice scoop prices running about $125 and hood prices close to $300, dropping $1,000 on plugs alone just adds $100 to the cost of each hood (assuming I'll make 10).

One of the issues to address with scoops is: Do we want to retain the trademark center hood bulge on the Z hood? For some folks that's very important, for others it not.

FYI... I'll be out racing until Tuesday so you won't see any responses from me until then.