HybridZ

T5 or 700r4

As most have already said, it is totally up to you. I on the other hand will be getting the 700R4 when the time comes.

I like the idea of a sports car having the stick and all too but as I have gotten older (37) I hate shifting gears.

Auto all the way baby!

Besides, the wife can't drive a stick rolleyesg.gif Hey wait maybe a stick wouldn't be so bad after all, lol

I wanted a WC t-5, but couldn't find one. That was 5 years ago, and it won't get easier. My '75 is running about 300hp with a stock '92 700R4 out of a police cruiser. When drag racing, it's a mighty long way from 2nd to 3rd gear on the 700R4, so if you intend to just stick in an auto without modifying it, I'd find a 2004R in good condition. Of course they may be getting hard to find too.

Guest Anonymous

I have debated this all week for my zx and have finally decided that I am going to use an auto (probably 700r4 from phoenixtrans.com) and install a ratchet shifter so that when in daily drive mode I can stick it in D and go OR when in rice eatin' stang stompin' camaro crushin' korvette killin' mode I can pull it down and select and hold each gear tell the rev limiter bucks like a bronc on speed. Plus it would allow me to hold gears and manually select gears in the twisties. As close to a tiptronic as I can afford.

• 1 month later...

this is a question.. I already have a auto (th350) in my 72. Now I came across a 72 vega with a '68 327 and a 700r4 in it, the motor runs great. I think its out of a 1968 camaro or vette. ( block # 3914660) anyhow i bought it for 1,100$ pulled the motor, tranny, aluminum radiator, hurst ratchet shifter, and driveline and sold the roller on ebay http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2403659069 for 2,100 dollars. So i did well...hahahaha....hahahahhaha...

QUestion: i also have a 73...im thinking of doing it Wc T-5 ..the question is

Is it also needed to cut the tunnel tranny mounts out when doing a T-5 swap, i thought i read somewhere the they could stay with a t-5.

I not sure i want to cut them out of both my zs in case i want to go back to the original motor later. someone set me straight about the tunnel tranny mount on A t-5 ..THANKS.

HERE ARE ALL THE NUMBERS i CAN FIND ON THE 327. I looked up 3914660 and i see is a 68 327 but what are all these other numbers for?

conv1

T12

T0326HN

THATS ALL THE NUMBERS I CAN FIND, CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT SOME OF THEM ARE? THANKS, BOB

it depends on what you want to do with the car, for a daily driver and v8, the auto is very very nice, one hand driving, one hand free to do whatever, stick is nice if you like stick, i like a manual trans myself.

for drag racing, i like the autos, very consistent, and can be built cheaper to take high horse unlike a manual trans where you ahve to buy a crazy expensive used six speed or a 1500-more tremec. the older trans like the t10 and the th350 can take all kinds of abuse just like they are, the four speed manuals were put behind big block cars, as a reference to their FACTORY painthresholds. a th400 as well was put behind cars like the 454 chevelle and corvettes, and some of the corvettes put down 400lb like no tommorow, a 700r4 can be built to take punishment like this, but it gets very expensive unless you can do the rehaul yourself, and its not that hard, there is a video out there that shows you how to do and my buddy can rebuild those suckers in three hours with it and have your car running with one in four. overdrive trannies are going to cost you behind a v8 thats just a given, a stick trans is going to cost you even more.

if you are racing and want a stick and dont drive the car a whole lot on freeway, or you want to just bang some mothergrabbin gears:

i stand behind my claims that the m21 or a t10 or any four speed trans, is downright invincible in a zcar, invincible, and no i dont mean very strong, i mean invincible. gear ratios arent suited for the small cars with a close ratios, well, none of the chevy gear ratios really are, they were all made to pull a huge car off the line hard, and when put in a z, they are super low 1-3 or 1-2 in a th350 car, i had a wide ratio with a four puck clutch, and it was hard to learn it off the line, but once learned, proved to be a very formibidle ally of mine.

you can get a run of the mill four speed for pennies, a rebuild kit costs 125 and they are simple as heck to rebuild.

th350-4, good strong trans as well auto, and cheap to get a built one

i think there is a place near me that rebuilds them with plenty clutch and shift kit for 3-400 with exchange or your busted one.

the overdrives are beautiful, but they cost a lot.

for a budget racer v8z

i would go with at least 350 cubes from any year car, of course preferred years to me would be late sixties early 70s, more chances of getting you a nice factory forged bottom end engine, if you get lucky you will just need maintenance/go-fast:

timing chain

cam of choice

roller rockers

rebuild carb it has or get a new one

nice aluminum manifold

fancy valve covers if you want

HEI distributor(i would shell out the MSD bucks for this one, if msd made a dist for my z i would get one.)

Nice big fuel pump

headers

(i personally believe the biggest problem with sbc is head flow, i would have mine sent out to get hogged to the maximum and pocket ported and polished cheapo status just to get some flow out of them, or shop around for a nice set of cast iron vortecs)

and a th350 for autos

a four speed for stick,

and let er rip

if you shot around right, this combo might end up costing you less than 500.00 for a complete drivetrain, tuned right could net you 300 easy breathing 5500rpm horses, and kick some tail!!!!

i know ive crossed sides and joined the L6 turbo crowd, but i still spend a lot of time working with chevy cars, i love BIG BLOCKS.

you know, if something were to change in my project goals and what not, i am leaning towards a nice 250-275hp tpi350/700r4 combo with a set of flows on it, figure it would cost about 1500.00 to do, since irocs are going for peanuts these days, but not anytime soon, but the thought does come to my head at least once a week though :roll:

Well I'm in the minority because my car came with a super t-10 and I swapped to the 700r4. I live in the Dallas metroplex, Plano to be exact and the traffic is the shits here so auto was the only way to go.

If I lived in a smaller town I probably would have stayed manual tranny!

Mike

but what about my questions from a couple posts up... whaa whaa ..haha :lol:this is a question..

QUestion: i also have a 73...im thinking of doing it Wc T-5 ..the question is

Is it also needed to cut the tunnel tranny mounts out when doing a T-5 swap, i thought i read somewhere the they could stay with a t-5.

I not sure i want to cut them out of both my zs in case i want to go back to the original motor later. someone set me straight about the tunnel tranny mount on A t-5 ..THANKS.

HERE ARE ALL THE NUMBERS i CAN FIND ON THE 327. I looked up 3914660 and i see is a 68 327 but what are all these other numbers for?

conv1

T12

T0326HN

THATS ALL THE NUMBERS I CAN FIND, CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT SOME OF THEM ARE? THANKS, BOB

Guest Anonymous

Amazing! after watch numerous turbo supra's walk on Hayabusa's I've looked into their trannies and realized we are looking at 4 forward speeds with torque multiplication and the 5th being 1:1, 6th the OD. Sounds like a great plan to me. Run a high gear in the rear like a 3.13 is what the supra comes with i believe and first should be more in the range we need in these light ass cars. I love sticks and I love banging gears and hitting 5 gears in the quarter just gives me goose bumps. These high power SUpras have about the same P/W ratio as those of us in the 500 to 600 hp Z cars. The RPM drop from gear to gear would be very good for my new set-up I am really looking into being able to say I have a chevy engine, supra tranny, and a ford rear end, on a datsun body. Uniqueness makes it totally worth the cost.

It would be unique. Most the Supra guys won't race from a dead stop they all want to run you rolling so they can spool yah. Fast cars when they are rolling otherwise not so impressive.

Talking to a guy who wrenches locally at a Hipo shop and he said a few of his vette buddies went out to race a few real wicked Supras and handed them there asses. I think the Vettes were stroked and supercharged, 2000 model from what I remember. Not to trash Supra's because I prefer the body style to a Vette anyday!

By the way check the video of the turbo busa, don't think anyone going to hang with him!

Mike

Guest Enraged

Which Supra transmission are you talking about? the Getrag 6 speed that came in MKIV (93-98 ) supras are hard to find, and cost quite a bit of money ($2000+). the cheap supra trans are from the MKIII, called the R154, which is a 5 spd. it can handle loads of power as well, several guys i know are running upwards of 600 rwhp, with just upgraded clutches. the beauty of the R154 is they can be found cheap (ive seen them sell on supraforums.com for $100-150), so if you destroy one, they are easily replaced.

-Current MKIII Supra owner, looking for a 71-73 240Z for a SBC swap :)