HybridZ

Upgrade front or rear brakes next? advice..

Ok so the Z is running way quicker, boost is still going to be set higher.

My brake setup was in my personal experience pretty wicked for a high reving N/A six.

Turbo'ng the car now, I'm reaching hp levels coming on 30%-50% higher than I was before, which already was 100%+ more than stock.

Its making me think that my brakes may only be "enough" if you know what I mean.

I have a 280Z master cyl, ss brake flex lines, stock drums in the back, and 300zx vented rotors with the 4Runner calipers and metal master pads.

It still stops pretty darn good in my opinion, but I'm thinking about my next upgrade Should I do the back? or should I go the extra step out front. I've always been against the rear caliper swap because of the $$ and the expected use (for a street car) I felt that the stock drums were plenty good for all but serious street cars, and full on racers. I've been hearing that for many years, and lots of racers STILL use stocko drums.

So should I think about the next front upgrade, or the rear?

$ is no longer a major drving issue, I just want the thing to stop, and I only plan on 1 upgrade.. front OR the rear, not both this year. I'll upgrade the other end in another year or two, unless I have something break.

I'd say rears because the stock rears probably do next to nothing compared to the upgraded fronts. Plus I hate pounding the crap out of the drums to get them to break free from the hub.

You won't feel much of a difference most likely, but that's where I'd put my money.

I'll just go and dissagree here... I'd upgrade the FRONT and just make sure the rear drums/shoes are in good shape.. It's a street car right? I can't remember exactly, but isn't it something like 80% of the braking is done by the front disks? You could always use an adjustable proportioning valve if you don't have one already...?) to get the rear's to work 'when' you want. Plus if you upgrade the front, you could sell me your spacers/calipers! :lol:

If you still have the stock proportioning valve, as Jon says most of the present braking effort will now be on the front. A lot more than the usual.

So, fit an adjustable PV and upgrade the rear brakes. Its quite surprising what a difference upgraded rear brakes with a properly adjusted PV can make.