HybridZ

custom Intake!

Well i though our drive was weekend warriors that run 11's. Sorry, my mistake. (please note my sarcasim)

Well, if we're talking street machines, my only worry would be VERY poorly distributed air, forcing a couple of the pistons to carry most of the load. I would think it would take a pretty crappy design to do this.

You said you'd buy it for a 'full track' car. Not a street/strip car. :-P

From what I understand, more affects the air flow through a pipe than the final bend. A runner that goes straight from the plenum or throttle body to the port will be most efficient.

If you wanted to use bends to equalize the airflow, you'd have to know the airflow through all the tubes, and then design it so that the ones with higher airflow have more or sharper bends to slow the flow down to the level of those with the lowest airflow.

I have some engineering background, but that doesn't mean my word is the gospel. Take it as a grain of salt.

Another idea struck me just now as to why this could be a mute point. The manifold isn't really our limiting factor. It's the heads. Maybe we should concentrate on them a little more. Of course if we made new heads whether they were 1.5 KA24 heads, an RB head, or a custom job, they would most likely need custom intake and exhaust manifolds....

not nessarly, if all bore spacing was constant like I plan on keeping it. You could just change the flanges on the Skyline manifolds and it should work with the head. I know the cams will fit in if I can keep on the towers alinged when welding my heads together. Well right now I'm reading like crazy and will most likely have a new design done by next week.

tbs

Will the skyline manifolds fit in the car with the KA heads?

I've never seen an RB in person, so i have no idea of the size of the manifolds and such.

can you send me your cad files that you are working on? I'd like to take a look at them. Or at least the shape and spacing of the gaskets so i can work on some stuff myself. I'm not tryin to steal anything...we're all in this for the same reason...faster :)

Phyxius it's around 3inches in the head I'll cc it soon and let you know the volume later.

Right now I'm trying to detrmin what rpm to tune the intake in at I'm thinking around 4500rpm with my 248* cam. if thats true then the intake runners will be around 12 inches :?. Space is limited and I need to refigure the confinements of the engine bay.

Phyxius I'll iges my Velocity stack and have you run a CFD on it before I start machining them.

tbs

I haven't really be working on any heads latly. I've been so concered with trying to get little things done in the shop and still keep my grades up. Guys I need to know if this sounds right, i've read once the onset of boost the runner length no longer matters. If is true then I can go with my first design for turbo engines which makes my life so much easier but for non turbo I'm working on one that will take advantage of midrage to top end with a 248 cam. I understand that this cam is small but thats what I have in my turbo z and basied everything off of my engine so far. So I belive I'm all set to go with the first intake that I posted for my turbo car. If anyone is intersted I'll take the time to help you out in designing an intake to fit you needs.

tbs