HybridZ

Can I tow with this conversion?

Guest RichC10

Guest RichC10

Need some expert advice folks. I have a motor boat, about 3000lbs on the trailer, with surge brakes. Is it possible to tow with a 280Z with SBC and auto trans? I think I can handle the cooling issues. But I question if the brakes are up to the job and if a hitch can be made to fit.

I really can't justify the extra insurance costs of another car, so if this combo can tow it will replace the pickup.

TIA Rich

Setting aside the frame/unibody strength issues you'll have a lot of fun trying to control that combination. The boat /trailer combo weighs as much as the car. If you run into any wind or aren't very aware of just how fast you're approaching a corner it will get very exciting very quickly. I tow an ~3000 pound tent trailer with my GMC Safari van and the rearend gets pushed around quite a bit by the trailer, I can't image what that would do to a Z. Your biggest issue will be keeping enough traction to the ground to control the trailer.

Wheelman

Even though my Explorer Sport is rated to pull 3500 lbs, it's too much for the small truck. I've pulled a 21' Vhull to the lake and back a couple of times. Sure it pulls it just fine but braking is vauge, and as wheelman suggested wind and such are going to move you around ALOT. Minimum you need is a 1/2 ton truck, V6 is fine so it shoulnd be all that expensive.

To be SAFE, either get an aluminum boat if your just going fishing, or get a Truck.

i wouldn't do it. with that much weight behind you and the little weight a z has under you, jack-knifing will be a big problem. not just in braking either, any turn at speed will become a serious knife hazzard.

don't go totaling your z over a boat!

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

I wouldn't recommend towing 3000lbs with a vehicle that light and small. You need something with a larger footprint and more weight.

I know this is no help but...when i was a kid i delivered donuts to the local schools in a 240z towing a small 4x6 enclosed u-haul trailer rigged with sliders to hold many trays of donuts. prob didnt weigh too much. My favorite school I deliver to back then was the all girl Catholic school :P

Don"t tow the 3,000 pound boat! That would be insane.

Are hitches even available for the 1st gen Zs?

Around here we make hitches or "remodify" (as my granddad used to say) hitches to make them work. :-D

I have seen ZX's with Class I (1500 lbs) hitches.

Check your local traffic safety rules and regs....I would bet $$ that towing that much with such a light car is actually illegal. If you get into an accident, your insurance company will likely not pay out...to you or the other party.......