HybridZ

anyone gone faster then me yet while still independant rear?

Guest 1fastz

Just checking ..my best was 9.71@147.9 mph on the old setup with the r-200 and the carbed nos 383.

have been away for a while building my other car up 95 mustang smile.gif 815 horses on pump gass with the ac blowing.

can be seen here.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/sacarguy1/lst?.dir=/Yahoo!+Photo+Album&.src=ph&.order=&.view=t&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/

Now that that ones done smile.gif

time to go nuts with the z.

I have the r-230 in it and to have axles made and adaptors and a new driveshaft.

im switching to a 434 cube 18 degree head small block .. and I took about 150 pounds off the car.

Currently im trying to decide.. Turbo with speed pro Fuel injection like my stang .. or Nitrous and a carb.

what you guys think?

goal is 8 second ets on street tires with a independant rear end.

Guest QIK 71Z

9.70's with the IRS is definitely haulin'. What track do you run at. The local tracks I go to have a 10.99 cutoff for cars with independent rear suspensions. I'd love to see some video of your Z making a pass, what's your best 60' ?

I'd put a Demon on that 434 and spray the hell out of it, with traction,you should go low 9's or even high 8's with no problem.I'm building a "little" 406 and hope to get into the 9's this summer before getting kicked off the track. :D

MY r-230 simply is a custom welded front mount

bolted to the r-230 then bolted to the old limiter strap bolt holes AND welded in place.

due to the large stresses ill be puting on it.

the rear I welded a 1/4 inch thick steel plate across the rear uprights for the rear suspension I then drilled two holes in that for the rear cover of the 230 to bolt through.. this allowed me to cut out the area needed for the r-230 lower cooling fins and not need to add that aluminum brace that someone here sells.

THe car 60 footed in the 1.58 range.

the et is LOW for the mph i had as i could not spray first gear or i broke a half shaft every damn time .. I did not have problems with the actual rear end though.

With the r-230 and being able to spray out the hole 1.40 60s shouldnt be a problem .. and the car would probly run 9.30s like that with no other changes.

I have a couple vids of it runing some 10.20s at 136 on the small 150 shot but they arent posted any where .

I run it at river city race way in marion texas.. and yes they complain every time i run a nine... they even made me put a 6 point cage in it after my 7th or 8th pass or I couldnt come back to the track

Denny, you can see pics of my R230 conversion on my site. Basically the same as 1fz, but not welded in at the front, just bolted in, and I'm using the R200 mustasche bar, redrilled. I have no aspirations of that kinda HP though. :eek:2thumbs.gifhail.gif

Tim

Where is Marion Tx.? I live in Plano Tx. and the only 1/4 mile track we have is Ennis which is about an hour and 10 minutes drive.

Awsome times by the way, my sbc Z only runs 12's.

Would really like 11's but not sure if I want to spray it as the bottom end is nothing fancy plus KB hyper pistons probably wouldn't like it.

Mike

Tim, I first wrote privately hoping you might have pictues of the actual half-shafts you are running but I've not heard back yet. I poked around your site eyeballing the pictures of the R230 LSD install in your car and I must say up front, that's an awesome site - good job.

I have a few questions. When I selected the driveline photos, at the bottom of the page, the last photo shows the R180 diff side-by-side with the R230 from a Q45 - along with the half-shafts.

The half-shafts are oriented such that the axle-side of of the Q45 half-shafts are at the bottom of the page with the inner, or diff-side of the half-shafts near the diff itself while the R180 diff (oriented the sam as the R230 diff) has its half-shafts upside down with respect to the other ones, i.e. the axle-side is is toward the top.

The reason I ask is the inner side of the Q45 half-shafts are star-shaped, right? That being the case, why did you make those CV to companion flange adapters? Didn't the star-shaped side of the CVs bolt right up to the R230?

When I installed a Corvette chunk into my first V-8 Z-car I cut off the original U-joint on the inner side of the stock half-shaft and welded on a Corvette U-joint retainer in place of the Z-car U-joint retainer. Next, on the outer side of the half-shaft (axle side), I drilled the U-joint off the shaft (on the lathe) and re-welded it back on after making up for the shorter space available (due to the increase in width of the Corvette chunk).

Frankly, I'd planned to do the same with an R230 install into my car, but seeing yours would help me decide if I should go with the stock-style (innner/outer sliding half-shaft arrangement) or go with a CV-style set-up. Do the CVs hold the horsepower well?

Granted, I never tried to run better than low 13s (on 8" wide rims/tires), but it never gave me any trouble either. Now, my new (recently purchased from a fellow in CA) SBC Z-car has a GTO conversion kit and is equipped with 10" rear rims/tires and also has an R180 - so I know the diff has to go.

Reading on your site about the advantages of the R230 over the R180 make it somewhat of a no-brainer to go with an R230 vs. using a Corvette chunk again, but I would love to see a photo of the actual half-shafts you are running. Can you help me out?

Best regards,

John,

I have not yet had my shafts made yet, but I have lined up the shop to do it. It doesn't make sense to sink money into something that I won't need for a few more months.

As for the connections to the diff (CV flange), the CV with the 'star flange' bolts up to the diff as in the OEM installation. The other side of the shafts will get a pair of inner 'star' CV joints and housings, thus the requirement for the adapter plates.

I will reply to your email on Monday at work. Sending pictures via dialup sux....much quicker throught the T1 at work!!!

Tim

OK, so the adapter is for the outer CV joint, right? Now I get it. How are you planning on shortening the half-shafts? I look forward to your photo. How are you planning to get all those bolts in there - boiltig on the adapter then the big-ass nut (bou coup torque) then the last siz bolts? In my limited experience I've had miserable luck with CV joits holding big time torque i.e. like what a V8 can produce. I was thinking of going to Ford Ranger front dif half-shafts (off a 4WD) is doubt arose about using stock Z-car half-shafts again - but that has never been a problem for me (and yes, I would occasionally light them up for the fun of it). Hmmm, I installed my SBC in 1982 and through 1999 when I sold the car I never had need of the spare half-shafts I made up. What's everybody's experiences? Why CVs . . . I mean spitting CVs and all the damned balls (a bit smaller than a marble) out all over the street sucks - especially when I have to look for steel balls covered with grease! FWIW, I know some race cars use CVs, but as I recall they're typically all light weight race cars. Hmmm, unless I hear some persuasive words, I think I'll stick to U-joints. Thoughts everybody?

has anyone looked at the stub shafts from the lexus or where ever the r-230 comes from? im going with custom length cromoly z31 cv axles and modded the strut to accept the stubs from the z31. they are the same length just had to machine the housing to accept different bearings. should be considerably stronger then the old setup

Guest nosz350

hey man 9.28@153 out of stock r200 and could drive it everyday... i ran at SRP back in the summer at the clash of the titains,maybe you were there and seen me ??? bright yellow z.. if you go down to annucments you'll see i asked the same thing but i had a few guys with 9" rearend given me hell cause they ran mid 8's .

Guest Anonymous

Just happened to have mine apart. Here is pic. Ross at modern motor sports is making the adaptor you need for this shaft. Picture trail is having sever problems. I'll post later.

19550239.jpg

Guest loveonthebeach

1FastZ - I'm not a mustang fan at all, But looking at your's, all i can say is WOOOOOW!

Lots of posers round here who put exhaust on their gt's and think its a balls to the wall car. Many props to your mustang. Go with the FI Turbo on the Z, looks better under the hood IMO. Keep up the good work.