HybridZ

81-83 5spd NA vs Turbo: are they the same?

zredbaron

>jmortenson wrote:

>You want the NA version. The huge gear spacing on the T5 would suck

>with triples.

The T5 is fine with a 22psi turbo that makes 10psi boost at 2200rpm... ;)

Thumper wrote:

>Wrong. 81-83 na 5 spd is different than the 83 turbo 5spd. 81-82 turbos

>only came with an automatic.

Actually, the 81 Turbo was the only turbo that didn't have a manual option. The '82 & '83 Turbo's were available in 5-speed or Auto, but it's still unclear to me when the Borg/Warner T5 was implemented.

It's on ALL the '83 Turbo 5-Speeds and I've seen it on several '82 Turbo 5-speeds (Mine included) but I've seen documentation that it wasn't used on the 280ZX until the '83 model year and the '82 Turbo 5-speeds originally used the Nissan tranny not the T5.

It's hard to tell with all the junk yard diving and 'upgrading' that's gone on for the last 22 years.

If anyone has conclusive proof of what's what with the T5, I'd be interested in seeing it.

Bear in mind, NONE of the 280ZX T5's were the World Class version and aren't really designed to handle more than about 260 ft/lbs. Although, I know several that are holding up well with significantly more than this (Mine included). Knock on wood. In the event I do break it, I'll just have to break down and get that Tremec 3550! :)

Cheers,

Wade

----

?'72? Desperately seeking a '72 to complete the collection...

'82 ZXT 3.1L

'82 NA 3.0L (Unfortunately, the rust monster got it...)

'92 TT Stock

?'02? Looking for an '03 manufactured in '02!

The T5 gear ratios are almost identical to the early 4 speed. Which had very reasonable ratios even for the small 2.4 liter motor. The T5 has a deepest first gear of any of the 5 speeds and has nearly the best OD. For a driver, the 3.70 or 3.54 with the T5 are ideal. Much better than the NA 5 speed and the 3.90 IMO.