HybridZ

New owner looking toV8

Guest LightHeaded2ozKB

Guest LightHeaded2ozKB

Hi, lats August I picked up a 74 260Z. It has NO rust and I checked everywhere. The body is straigh exp. paint. This is my first car but Ive driven a large varity of cars from a BMW to a Morgan. At the moment I still have the 6 and it has a 390cfm Holley on it. I love the kick it has now but I sure could go fer a V8. Here are soem links to Jegs showing what im loking at. Think it sounds good or should I do somthing else?

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=4235&prmenbr=361

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=2143&prmenbr=361

I will probally get the conversion parts from motorsport and then fab the rest.

I would suggest an engine with aluminum heads to keep the weight down in the front. Also that 6 speed is still only single overdrive (nothing like the Borg Warner T56 which is double overdrive). It's a close ratio box, probably good for racing etc, but IMO, cheaper to just put in a BW 5 speed. Ithing $500 at the JYs is the going rate for that.

Tim

Aluminum heads are nice. They shave quite a bit of weight off of the front of the car and it can be felt in the steering. Also, if you go with that tranny, I would choose the one with the .62 overdrive and 2.77 first gear. My reasoning is that you won't be pulling anything bigger than a house with your z so you don't need the granny gear. Your Z will shoot off of the line with the 2.77 first gear just as quickly as it will with the granny gear. Also, the .62 overdrive will conserve gas and give you a much higher top end. At 65 miles per hour you will be turning out 1940 rpms with the .62 overdrive as opposed to 2379 rpms with the .76 overdrive. The nearly 20% increase in rpms at cruising speed can really be felt. If you are going to have a daily driver, I would seriously consider an automatic transmission. They tear up easy, but you can get one that will stand up to anything for under $2000. Whichever you choose, the more overdrive you have the better.

Welcome to the board.

The RamJet 350 is a marine engine that can be used on the street. I was going to go with this motor but thru research found that everyone using had to deal with it running rich and the fix was to send the computer out to be reprogramed. While I wanted EFI I didn't want a system I could not map using a laptop. I went with a HO 350 $2200 from Scoggan-Dickey and added the parts I wanted. GM parts direct is another good choice for crate motors.

For trans I went with T56 and you can't go wrong with that selection. The flywheel is $350 and the clutch is $300.

Do your research and stay the course once started...you will save time & money by planning out your swap.

Rusty

Guest LightHeaded2ozKB

Well, Im not sure yet. The car has an orignal Bob Sharp Holley conversion and a sport cam (witch I dont know any of the specs). I drove a friends 280 about 3 weeks ago and it seemed so much slower and less responsive. Im not sure what Im going to do. Id like to get some history before I tear it up but i dont know where to start looking.

Thnx for your input.

I read the RAM 350 was built to be a super easy install requiring only a power line to the FI. I think the computer even mounts on the engine. But this means no O2 sensor so runs open loop only. Have read about kits to add the O2 sensor for closed loop operation, but there was some draw back to that.

But for the same $8000 list price of just the engine and trans listed you could buy a used 1996 Camaro with an fuel injected aluminum head LT1 and 6 speed trans and still have enough money left over to have someone else pull the engine and install it in your Z. You could then use the additional $1000 - $2000 you were going to spend on clutch, starter, radiator, driveshaft etc etc to finish off your crate engine and apply it to suspension/brake upgrades.

You may want to put SUs back on your car to see if you can improve mixture distribution and throttle response.

How important is $? You can buy a NICE 95-96 LT1 and T56 for the price of the engine and trans you have selected ($7800 at those prices.)And you can unload what's left to help offset some cost. That is what I would suggest, and that is what I would do. BUT if you are going for MAX effort/MAX $...

I guess I am of a different mind set than everyone else. I think the T56 is ridiculous as a performance trans. With that said, it is the best thing going for OEM used stuff. A first gear that is not low enough and an overdrive that is too high, and two of them at that. Especially pointless with a carb as you have to gear up so high to get the engine to turn a reasonable rpm number in top gear at a legal speed. Almost everyone with a performance F-body and the T56 switches to 4.11 gears. With the early .5 ratio sixth gear T56, with 4.11 gears it's only turning 1775 rpm at 65 mph, too slow to be able to just stomp on it and go, so a shift required but first at least has a reasonable 10.93 deffective ratio with the 4.10. But more gear means more gear speed, which means more heat. Really hard on deep gears to drive really fast relying on OD. Best to have moderate numbers on both ends.

As far as the Richmond goes, it is an excellent trans with a nice gear spread. Just too much money. And too big, too. And in addition to the trans which DOES come with a shifter, you still have to buy a bellhousing, and a serious performance car should have an explosion proof one.

While "close ratio" is the buzzword, you just don't need that with an engine that has a broad torque spread, which your interest in the RamJet seems to suggest, and any V8 in a 2600# car means. Since the availability of a gear lower than 3.54 is virtually unobtainable in the Z r200, you do need a trans with a reasonable OD, but even the .76 will be quite acceptable. 3.54*.76=2.69 or a perfect economy gear.

My opinion is the Tremec is the best choice, or a Ford World Class T5 using an adapter bellhousing from McLeod or Lakewood if you don't plan on hardcore rev it up/dump the clutch drag racing. Personally, I like as much gear as possible. It really allows you to apply the throttle linearly and to modulate wheelspin with your right foot. The 3.27 first gear of the Trecmec coupled with a 3.54 rear gear gives a 11.58 overall first gear (compared to 9.4 for the T56) and a 2.41 effective final drive in 5th (compared to a useless 1.77 for the T56)

Brand new the WC T5 is $1200 and the conversion bellhousing $400. This is the cheap way to go and get new parts, but Ford T5s are easy to come by used. You just need to ask your wallet what IT wants. :D

Welcome to the board. I just emailed you. Thought I would mention that part of the reason the 280 was less responsive than your 260 was the weight difference I think there is about a 500 lb step up from your car to the 280 that makes a big difference. Good luck with your swap. This board will make it go smoothly