HybridZ

700r4 vs 2004r opinions?

Guest 77vegasz

Guest 77vegasz

I am currently running a 350 hp 327 with a TH350. I will shortly be installing a 460 hp 383 and want overdrive. Any opinions on which would be a better swap?

The 700r4 has a lower 1st and 2nd gear, but the 2004r has a lower overdrive. Any experience with these will help.

Jon

...i built my 200r4 myself and it worked excellent behind a 383stroker...it originally had a turbo350[which i also built up] but the need for overdrive moved me to try the 200r4....it tamed the 4.11 rear end was the same overall lenghth as the t350.

i've had experience with both transmissions (had a 'beefed up' 700r4 in an '86 trans am with a 400 sbc), and prefer the 200-4r's gearing. as stated above, it can be built to handle plenty of power and it's an easier replacement for the th350 since you don't have to have your driveshaft shortened. you do have to move the transmission crossmember ~5" rearward, though. i got my stage 3 200-4r from bowtieoverdrives.com to replace my th350.

definitely check out their info on proper installation and tv cable set up. their "linez made ez" kit is also recommended. they have everything you need to put in a 200-4r or 700-r4 in your car.

that's an error on the bowtieoverdrives website. they copied the 700-r4 data for the 200-4r ratios. they've been doing a lot of changes to the websites they maintain lately. here are the actual 200-4r ratios:

2.74:1, 1.57:1, 1.00:1, 0.67:1

and this is a quote from chevy hi performance mag (taken from http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/techarticles/46278/index1.html):

Even though both the 200-4R and 700-R4 offer an overdrive Fourth gear, their First, Second, and Third gears are truly what sets them apart from the rest. Their only shared gear ratio is the 1.00:1 Third-gear ratio. The accompanying chart shows ratios for all the GM automatics.

As you can see, the 700-R4 has a very steep First gear ratio with a big drop between First and Second gear. While a deeper First gear ratio will launch a car harder, the shift to Second gear will hurt acceleration due to the large rpm drop at the gear change. Although the 200-4R’s less steep First-to-Second-gear rpm drop will affect acceleration, its closer gear speed far outweighs this minor drawback, making it a prime candidate for a daily driver/weekend warrior.

p110361_image_large.jpg

post 500! :D

I too will be running the 200-4R in a streeet/highway Z, but beware: If you start running really big power and slicks, the stock internals will break. Strong ones don't come cheaply.

Most require upgrades to handle any power. (A very few had medium sized servos and better valving from the factory).

Here's the best site I've found for these trannies:

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?forumid=12&daysprune=1000&sortorder=desc&sortfield=lastpost&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

Guest 77vegasz

I have been down for a few days after blowing out my right knee at work. I just had the MRI today, so this is the first chance to get back to the site.

I would like to thank everyone for their input on this issue. I will look for a beefed up 2004r as soon as I get back in the swing.

Jon

Guest V8Datsun

Yup, I agree- 200 4R is the best automatic for SBC cars. I swapped the TH350 for one, and as was said earlier here, all I had to do was make a new rear trans mount. The gearing is much better (30 mph per thousand RPM instead of 20 per with the TH350) so it cruises better. But a 6 speed manual, with a .5 :1 OD in 6th is even better. That would give me 40 mph per thousand rpm in 6th, so 80 would be just 2000. My 350 isn't very radical- it has what's called an "RV" cam in it, which means it's a "bottom end" engine I think, so all in all it's a good match.

In order to save rear end gears I've opted for rather hard tires as tall as I could get into the stock wheel wells, which means that a lotta throttle at launch will spin 'em. This isn't the best setup for stoplight Grand Prix, but burnouts are dramatic, and anyway I'm not much into competition on the street. Nailing it when a Boxster tries to pass on the interstate is the most agressive thing I'll do.

if anyone is looking for a 200-4r to be used for more of a daily driver car, i have a spare rebuilt 200-4r with 2200 stall lockup converter, tv cable, and lockup wiring kit that i was going to use for my next project. i was planning on building a 330hp motor, but decided to go crazy again with another 450+ hp motor. im not so set on selling it to post in the classifieds... just thought maybe i could help someone out that was looking to go this route. if anyone is interested, pm me for more details.