HybridZ

Is the 300zx lsd 1.5 or 1 way?

PUSHER

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/lsd1.asp

That website describes the parts and operation of a clutch type nissan lsd, wich i think can be applied to the 300zx 3.70 lsd. Based on the pictures on that website, I believe it is a 2 way, because the pinion shaft sits in the pressure ring with corresponding "v" shapes, so acceleration and decceleration would provide similar amounts of pressure against the clutches.

Although after reading more of the website I wonder if he is talking about some LSD's that they make for the r200, or stock LSD units....

I think its a two way, I can get the car sideways if I punch it hard and let off the gas as I turn the wheel, a 1 or 1.5 way wouldnt do that, correct?

I love my 3.7 LSD, the thing made me stop thinking hp and start thinking handling.

Guest 240zJake

5801Diff.jpg

Its one thirty in the morning here

if some one wants to write what happens, thats would be awsome, if not ill write some in the morning...or maybe in a couple of minutes... :?

i'll give it a shot...

The pinion shaft (#1) is allowed to push to the right or left. Because of the shape of v-grooves (#2) in the pressure rings (#'s 3 and 4), whenever the pinion shaft shifts position, lets say left for acceleration and right for decceleration, the pinion shaft will push against the v-grooves, causing the pressure rings to separate with a force. The force that they have when they separate goes into pushing the clutch discs (not pictured) against the differential case and thus limiting the amount of differentiation between the two wheels.

Can someone explain it better? Eh- I tried...

-Oliver

From Gordon's website because I haven't seen a more thorough explanation anywhere:

This arrangement creates a stack of alternating disks and plates that sits between the end of the case and the pressure ring on each side. The disks are "connected" to the side gear and the plates are "connected" to the case, both by the tab-in-groove arrangement. If a side gear tries to rotate at a different speed than the case, it causes the disks to drag between the plates. This friction is what provides the limited-slip action.

The amount of resistance to slip is determined by the amount of power being applied - the more power, the more resistance. Here is how it does it.

The power is actually applied to the ring gear by the pinion gear (the main pinion gear, as in ring and pinion). The ring gear is bolted to the case, so the case turns. The pressure rings inside the case are forced to turn with the case because the tabs on the pressure rings are inside the grooves in the case. The pressure rings transmit the force to the pinion shaft, which is trapped between them in those v-shaped grooves. The pinion shaft pushes on the pinion gears and thence on the side gears.

When the pressure rings push on the pinion shaft, the weight of the car resists. The fact that the pinion shaft is sitting in the v-groove causes a spreading force to be applied to the pressure rings. This pressure squeezes the friction plates and disks together, increasing their resistance to slippage. If your unit does not have the Belleville spring plates and disks, then this action will be quite sudden. The Belleville springs allow for a gradual increase in slip resistance before lock-up occurs.

The website has pics too and you can really see what he's talking about.