L20 turbo upgrade option

rusty260

car - Nissan Fairlady z - '77

Model - Gs31

Engine - l20

done search about l20, l24 , l26 turbo mods,

would it be sensible to turbo a l20 block without upgrading internals,

after about 200 hp.

are there any particular issues for the particular block eg oil line for turbo.

I have had my fuel pump replaced (failed on me), would the use of a fuel pressure regulator be ablr to ensure adequate fuel.

thanks

Here we need TonyD or Auzzie people is it a l20ET ? or a stock L20E?

since the cranck is a normal l28 e et cranck right so the only limitation would be how much the pistons would hold up, and what kind of head you are using .. ( what head does a l20ET use anyway?)

I would say you need something like a megasquirts and bigger injectors to really come to a full and safe potential... but still a litlle more specs on teh engine ( head injector size etc) and TonyD or some onefrom DOWN UNDER

would help

good luck

do you have a stock turbo so a l20ET or a NA? you can find out the head number like the hayens manual states between the #1 and second sparkplug off teh front of the car ( passenger side at a fairlady) it will porblably state e30 or e31 of what i have encountered of l20 engines ( mine is out of a 280zx )

the L20e motor,exactly the same as the L28E but has a 3mm bore decrease and different stroke than the L28. so the cranck is the same as one of a l28E/ ET

Does your Motor have a P65 intake manifold? It has a front cover that bolts on and long runners Take a look: the runners curve around the outside of the plenum, and enter from the outer edge of the plenum, not the portion next to the head This manifold is assumed to work on an L28, but according to TonyD will absolutely fall flat on it's face flow wise around 5500rpm. This is actually really nice and im looking for one to fiddle with.

1.jpg

2.jpg

The Fairlady Z normally would have conventional manifold like the ' shor' t runner the P82 / N42 style on the right., but the ZX Fairlady did have the dual throttle plate setup in some cases .. Mine sadly did NOT :(. It really kills throttle response but returns phenomenal gas mileage this shows when you read specs on l20e powerd ZX's ( still bumbed mine did not get that manifold !!)

I don't think the states ever got a manifold like the one on the left. I have seen em on zx's but im affriad they came out of the Skylines

however you do probably have a 4.37 diff wich also creates possibillitys with a conventional gearbox.

Where are you located?

Anyway another guy with a l28 who wanted to turbo it who lived in New Zeeland wrapped up this:

l20et exhaust manifold

r32 gts-t skyline t3 turbo and dump pipe

intercooler (starion) and piping to suit l20et

2 T-peices for oil lines, and 2 for water pipes, to suit l20et

l20et ECU and AFM so this is available

This would give you possibilties

Note you only have a believe 170cc injectors, and you need to upgrade i would advise a stand alone fuel managment, like the megasquirt!

Let me know what head and where your are and hope somebody stops in that knows more.

normal L20ET 's have about 145 HP like the stock l28 but there would be more to get and a 60 hp gian over stock is not something impossible, the bottem end would easely maintain that much

Yes that manifold would bolt straight on is it yours? any news on the cylinder head? , cause that is more or less the key.

it is a pitty but you do not have that really cool take apart manifold :( i would trade it for some turbo godies in a heartbeat!!

However i think with stock l28 ET injectors you would be fine if you would like to make lets say 200 hp however i still advize a stand alone like megasquirt ( mentioned and discussed in the stickys at the top of this board)

You might need a bigger AFM too i think there is a distiction between the l20e and ET ones ( not sure here though anybody?), however Megasquirt tackles that too, and makes your life easier concerning fuel managment and tuning.

stock internals in a l28ET according to the stickys are good and stable upto 350 rwhp, however is discussed regulary ( do a search on this and you will see) people have way more and still dont see problems other dont even make the benchmark.

Since the l20E is the same engine as the l28E just diffrently bored we need the head and compression ratio before we can make assumptions

turbo manifold is identical between L20 and L28.

The stock L20ET made 145HP stock, so 200HP is not a big deal.

Boost on.

It's late, I'm tired. Maybe more time to read and see what you really need, later.

Anyway, the stock L20E can take that boost no problem--crank into it as any other N/A to Turbo conversion: Add that rising rate FPR, or standalone and some L28ET injectors and you should be good for your HP range stated (225?) with the right boost and some small intercooling...

Hey Frank, you get photos of the Orange Truck? Too much for Dad, huh? :lol: