HybridZ

JTR Datsun Z V-8 Mounting Kit Question

Guest Muscle Z

Guest Muscle Z

Hey everyone.

As I am about to start my Datsun V8 conversion project, I have a question. Well, I have a 1980 Datsun 280ZX. I was wondering if the JTR Datsun Z V-8 Mounting Kit will fit this car. The website says it will fit 1970-1978 and it doesnt mention if it will fit my specific car. I was wondering if any of you guys knew if it would fit properly or not. If not, is there another company that makes a kit that will fit? Also, what about tranny mounts? Thanks to all that help.

-Shawn

ps. I will be installing an LT1 & T56 Tranny.

Guest greimann

Hey, here is one! Tim is correct, the JTR setback won't fly with the ZX. The mountings are fairly simple. I would suggest you avoid kits if you are half way handy with garage tools because kit stuff costs an awful lot of money for what you get. There is a guy here that is currently doing a ZX LT1 conversion, named 80LT1. Just poke around until you see a post from him.

Guest Muscle Z
Originally posted by Greimann:

Hey, here is one! Tim is correct, the JTR setback won't fly with the ZX. The mountings are fairly simple. I would suggest you avoid kits if you are half way handy with garage tools because kit stuff costs an awful lot of money for what you get. There is a guy here that is currently doing a ZX LT1 conversion, named 80LT1. Just poke around until you see a post from him.

so may I ask how exactly you went about creating your motor/tranny mounts?? Did you use the "Aftermarket Engine Mounts for 70-83 Z/ZX: $19.95/each

Excellent quality at a more reasonable price! Part #10-2201A" from Motorsport Auto? Also, which Chevy 350 is that you have in your Datsun?

Guest greimann

Sorry I should have clued you in. For HybridZ members that have a web site, there should be a little house at the top of their post. Click it. I also include a link in my signature below.

Guest Muscle Z

Thanks Greimann! ok that answered my question, but now I have a new one. where did you get the motor and how much did you pay?

I am so glad you guys are so helpful, thanks!

Guest greimann

Motors can come from a variety of sources. I got mine from a salvage yard and rebuilt it. Salvage motor was about $600. Total conversion cost was about $5000.

Hey I guess I'm the guy your looking for?! LOL :D

I am using the MSA motor mounts but not the tranny mount because I am using a T56 manual transmission. The 700R mount that comes with the kit wont work for me but if you go with the 700R I think that the mount they supply is very nice. As for the motor mounts...if you have any fabrication skills I would recommend making these. All you would need is some square tubing and some flat stock and you could make them. I wish I had! bonk.gif I think I could have found something else to spend the $225! However if you dont have access to a welder and some kind of metal cutting tools then buy the kit. It is very nice just over priced in my opinion!

Click on my link below for my website and give it a look. Right now I am finishing up my R200/CV swap! Can't wait till this is over. Tonight I dropped the R200 on my chest! cry2.gif Yeah that kinda hurt! :mad: Don't worry though it only fell from the mounting position to my chest(like 10") but it still hurt!

Anyways hope you have fun with your conversion I know I am!

Guy 2thumbs.gif

Ouch!!! R-200 on my bird chest would crush me :eek:

If you are like me and have no fabrication skills what so ever then I would say go with the over priced MSA item. Yup it is sad that things that cost so little to produce (probably I have no idea) should cost us so much.

Hey 72 ZCar, I have a 75 280, does the MSA kit place the engine back as far as the JTR mount system? And can you use a full size air cleaner and still run a strut bar?

MSA (motor sport auto) www.zcarparts.com has the kit that comes with the conversion motor mounts and the tranny mount that also comes with GM stock rubber mounts for $225... for the 79-83 280zx... The tranny mount is for the 700-r4 and if u want to use the th350 u have to buy the 30$ adapter. I have seen people use the tranny mount for a t5 manual 5 speed...no need for the 30$ piece in the case. I used the msa mounts for my 72 and it was good. engine set back close to the firewall and easy to install. If I were doing a zx swap I would pay the 225 for the mounts from msa...its worth it in my opinion 2thumbs.gif

hey Georgia Flash ...

the msa kit sets my 350 hei distributor about 5/8-3/4 of an inch from the firewall/ i don.don't think u can use a strut tower brace with a full size cleaner.. i have the msa strut tower brace and use the edelbrock v shaped cleaner.

http://www.72zcar.50megs.com/

the pics need updating, they dont show the tower brace...i will update it monday after i get some new pics sunday..

All you need for 280ZX V8 engine mounts are the common V8 Truck mounts and some flat stock (ie. aluminum)....cut the flat stock with a jigsaw or whatever to create shims for stacking and you just shim up the V8 mounts on each side (shims between block and mount, mount bolts directly to crossmember) and it all bolts up.....I might've had to drill one hole per side for the single bolt that I pass up and into the Chevy mount. Left side spacers are thicker overall than right.

And if you need to alter details, I've found that jacking up the engine via a good board under the oilpan works fine without doing any damage in my experience, YMMV. Watch your fingers but swapping is quick in this manner.

MSA's pieces look fine but more than is required. The single bolt that passes into the V8 mount is large and has PLENTY of shear strength. I've sheared motor mounts (cheap ones) and am now running the pricier GM mounts.

72ZCar, I was in an auto parts store yesterday and took a look at the little triangle air box. It doesn't look too bad I guess. I also saw a 10" round air cleaner that I may run if a full size one will not fit.

See what I mean about this question. You are the only one who has responded and still you aren't 100% sure about the full size cleaner with MSA mounting system lol.

• 1 year later...
All you need for 280ZX V8 engine mounts are the common V8 Truck mounts and some flat stock (ie. aluminum)....

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but I'm looking into this swap and I'd like to know exactly where I can find the mounts that you mention. Like exactly which trucks do they come on? If I can scrounge some from the junkyard then I can save a few bucks over buying nos from gm.

JTR is working on ZX V8 mounts for the 1979-1983 cars, and they should be ready within a few weeks.

The ZX V8 mounts will have slotted mounting holes to allow positioning the engine front-to-back and side-to-side. The mounts will work with car which have rack and pinion steering, or recirculating ball and roller.

Headers are currently available for ZX's with rack and pinion steering.

See attached link for ZX parts:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Datsun-ZX_Order.html

See attached link for ZX headers:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Parts_DATZX_Header-RackPin.html