HybridZ

crate motors?

Guest gunmetal

Guest gunmetal

Hey guys what are some good companies that sell chevy crate 350's. Id like to get somthing that is complete ready to start with a tranny if i could. Also could you guys hit me up with a genral parts list for the V8 swap. Thanks,

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

You can get crate motors from any GM delaer, and the JTR manual has a detailed list of how to do the swap, including diagrams of the mounts. Do a search for "JTR manual" and you'll find the link to buy one.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder
Cool. Also is there any cronic problems that i should look for when buying my Z? Rust in certain areas, listen for certain noises, leaks ect.?

Rust in the floor pans under the seats and footwells. Rust in the front frame rails under the hood and in the wheel wells, rust under the battery box. A little rust is expected, but try to stay away from ones hat are falling apart. You can buy repair panels to weld in, but it helps to have one that's intact to begin with.

If you're doing a V8, the condition of the Z motor doesn't matter. You might make a few bucks parting it out, but not much.

I have a 240Z for sale in the classifieds right now if you're willing to pick it up from FL. It needs some serious frame rail repair, though.

...and searching is for pussies, lol. :P:roll:

Oh, and I just remembered... the search feature isn't working for me. When I do a search it just shows me the current posts, regardless of whether they have anything to do with the search topic. :?:

Having had personal experience with a bad crate motor from Bowtie Performance in Bristol, Va. I can honestly say that you need to check and research the vendor... Make sure the motor is THE LAST THING you buy... If you are going to do this project all at once, there is no reason to buy a crate motor that comes with a 12 month/ 12,000 mile warranty, to have it sit in the corner of the garage and expire while you build the car... My crate 383 stroker had less than 3K miles on the clock when the oil pump cavetated due to a broken pickup tube. This caused failure and serious stress on some of the bearings.

Make a plan, do it in phases and stick to it... I'd personally make the motor and tranny the last big ticket purchases for the project and buy them when you are within a couple weeks of installing them. 8)

And as Tim pointed out... SEARCH SEARCH SEARCH! :lol:

We've been up and running for several (We're pushing 5 years! :shock: ) years and there is a TON of data here for you to read. :wink:

Mike 8)

Guest rick458

GM performance carries the Deluxe crate motor,

it is a 330 hp 330 ft/lb 350CID ready to run

it is about $3400

Scoggin Dickey, Pace, Friendly Chevrolet all carry GMP engines

"And Searching is for pussies" :twisted::?:

Search function works fine, just tried it. I believe the whole key of "search search, search" is alot of these questions have been answered more than once. I've gotten a ton of info from this site and those few I couldn't find, I posted and recieved an answer! :D Never have I got "search".

The answers are here.... :mrgreen:

As for crate motors and transmissions.... All my domestic engine and trans jobs, All come from my local dealers. I've had about 90%, no problems. The one G.M. motor(rod knock) and trans job(jeep cherokee blown trans) over five years. Not bad. Both times the vehicles went back to the dealer for replacement. Great warrenty! Although not sure how that would work with a hybrid. :shock:

JOEY

Guest gunmetal

I looked at all thoes crate motors and they look good but does anyone make any where it has everything need to run with it?I know the tranny would be seperate. The PACE motors have everything need to start but they only have 260HP and that isnt enough. My civic is pushin out more then that. Any help would be great guys Thanks,

Guest DiZeased_240

Gunmetal,

Are you looking at the Crate Performance section? I see at the bottom that they have one with all the accessories rated at 260hp, but there are a lot of other hotter engines on that page.

I would suggest getting one of the ones that matches the Hp/torque you want and then adding the accessories to it. It will probably be cheaper, too.

If I was going iron small block crate the ZZ4 would be my preference:

http://www.paceparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=22962

If you want one that is a little more complete then try the following. It includes carb, water pump and damper:

http://www.paceparts.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=22962

Either way you go you should have a solid motor. You should check out SDPC too. The link is below:

http://www.sdpc2000.com/catalog/63/Crate-Engines.htm

In late Jan. - Feb 2005, if JTR does not have a LS1 kit ready I have been looking at Crate motors at Sallee Chevrolet. Check the link below. Two motors caught eye the Sallee special 380 hp Deluxe and the 430 hp ZZ430.

http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/Crate_Engines/performance.html

Glenn A. INLINER FOR NOW BOWTIE COMING SOON !!!!

P.S. Talk to a rep and you can get either motor turnkey.

Gunmetal,

The price on the 350 is $4,095.00. But, you may can go with the GM standard deluxe about 330 hp ($3,100 - 3,500) depending on distributor and do your modifications. The most important modification is going to a smaller 7.25 damper or smaller to fit based on JTR mods. Then you can change intake and carb. Also, check these guys out,

http://www.blueprintengines.com/start_your_engine/index.html?topic=options&sye_category=GM+Vortec

My local auto parts store (Flag Auto parts) can get any of these engines and I can save some money on shipping. I am also keeping in mind the warranties that comes with the motors. As I am sourcing and gathering all the parts, I think it was Mike Kelly or Dan Juday that stated buy your motor and transmission last, just before you install the motor so you have some time left on the warranty. Just in case there are some issues with either :!:

Glenn A. AKA Dudeboy