HybridZ

Let's try that mount thing again

auxilary

Had to scrap old motor mounts. Everything wasn't sitting right. Repositioned motor, measured everything 10 times over to make sure it was a proper fit:

New crossmember mount.

PICT0116.sized.jpg

PICT0117.sized.jpg

PICT0118.sized.jpg

Somewhat cheating here, using a 1st gen rx7 front engine cover with front mount bolts, '85 gsl-se rx7 oilpan, will relocate pickup to the front.

PICT0092.sized.jpg

Motor, manifold, turbo.

PICT0095.sized.jpg

Darwin award candidate right there :)

PICT0100.sized.jpg

PICT0102.sized.jpg

I wound up using the stock 240z tranny mount. Drilled out a hold to be bigger, and what do you know - lines up within 1/4" height difference!

PICT0106.sized.jpg

Because plasma cutters are fun!

PICT0109.sized.jpg

Exhaust manifold fits. At this point the motor isn't mounted, it's sitting on a block of wood. As the president of wbr.jpg, I am proud to represent.

PICT0111.sized.jpg

PICT0113.sized.jpg

PICT0115.sized.jpg

Test fit with turbo

PICT0122.sized.jpg

PICT0120.sized.jpg

And engine finally mounted via the front mount to the crossmember, properly set (i hope!) this time.

Guest Bris280zx

You have no Idea how long i have waited for this post haha!

I love the rotary engine and you are pioneering that sucka right into the Z now thats cool!

Looking like good progress, i'm curious about that turbo, it looks HUGE!

Mat.

Excellent pics. I am pleased to see the project is coming along nicely. Also I am very happy to hear about the gearbox cross member. Re my 4 Rotor project - my motorcycle sold on the weekend. So I am now starting the budgeting for the 4 rotor build. I will let you know once I have a better idea myself.

Keep up the excellent work and updates.

Cheers

Mike

Fully aware of the welding - those are just tack-in welds to hold the plates together while we drilled them out. However, the welds you see are my doing (not bad, IMO, for a first time ever with a mig), and the plates are held by bolts just to support the motor.

I am going to make another plate with redrilled bolt holes to raise the motor a hair for testing, and whichever works best, I will get tig welded nicely. Those plates are 1/4" thick, so not exactly mig friendly. Bolts are in place just to hold the plates together and support weight of an unmoving motor for now.

The crossmember bolts will be doubled in number, so 6 bolts total supporting it to the crossmember, with doubler plates and spacers on top to make sure metal is not warped under pressure. I will also try to devise a better mount to distribute the twisting force of hte motor rocking side to side in turns. But this design works much better for the exhaust manifold and such

I will also try to devise a better mount to distribute the twisting force of hte motor rocking side to side in turns.

So you are isolating the motor from the mount, yes? That was the only thing I could think of last night after thinking about it all. The tranny is rubber isolated, so I'm assuming you would want something similar in front. Still, rotaries are smooth and not overly torquey, so maybe you don't have to do that? Curious.

Davy

this is going to be a heck of a jittery ride :)

Just set your Illuminas on 5. You'll never even know the motor's running.

Actually, rotaries do just fine on solid mounts.... like 180sx said, everything moves ina circle, there are no oscillations from pistons going up and down, so it doesn't shake.