HybridZ

All you hunters out there... Be careful!

Zhadman

Crazy!

5 Killed, 3 Hurt in Wis. Hunting Dispute

By JOSHUA FREED, Associated Press Writer

BIRCHWOOD, Wis. - A deer hunter killed five people and wounded three more in a dispute over a hunting platform on private property during the opening weekend of deer season, authorities said.

A 36-year-old man was arrested Sunday afternoon when he came out of the woods, sheriff's officials said.

Deputy Jake Hodgkinson identified the suspect as Chai Vang but would give no details. Vang is from St. Paul, Minn., said Paul Schnell, a spokesman for the St. Paul police department.

The shooting started when two hunters returning to their rural cabin on private land saw the suspect in one of their hunting platforms in a tree, Sawyer County Chief Deputy Tim Zeigle said. Hunters often build platforms in trees in order to be able to view prey and shoot from a high angle.

Both of those hunters were wounded and one of them radioed friends at the cabin a quarter-mile away. Other members of their group responded and they also were shot, he said.

"It's absolutely nuts. Why? Over sitting in a tree stand?" asked Zeigle.

Zeigle said the suspect was "chasing after them and killing them," with a SKS 7.62 mm semiautomatic rifle, a common hunting weapon. Wisconsin's statewide deer gun hunting season started Saturday and lasts for nine days.

About 20 shots were fired but it was unclear if any of the hunters had fired at the suspect or who might have shot first, Zeigle said. There was just one gun among the eight people killed or wounded, he said.

The dead included a a teenage boy and a woman, and a father and son, Zeigle said. Some of the victims were shot more than once. All five were from the Rice Lake area, about 15 miles southwest of Birchwood in the northwestern part of the state, he said.

Authorities found two bodies near each other and the others were scattered over 100 yards.

The suspect, who did not have a compass, got lost in the woods and two other hunters who didn't know about the shootings helped him find his way out, Zeigle said.

The man was arrested when he emerged from the woods and a Department of Natural Resources officer recognized the deer license on his back from a description given by one of the shooting victims, Zeigle said.

The man was out of ammunition, he said.

One of the injured hunters was in critical condition at St. Joseph's Hospital. Another was listed in serious condition and the third was in fair condition, both at Lakeview Medical Center.

Hunter Bill Wagner, 72, of Oshkosh, was about two miles away near Deer Lake with a party of about 20 other hunters when they heard sirens, planes and helicopters and discovered roads in the area had been barricaded.

"When you're hunting you don't expect somebody to try to shoot you and murder you," Wagner said. "You have no idea who is coming up to you."

"We're all old, dyed-in-wool hunters," he said. "We wouldn't go home because of this, but we will keep it in our minds. We're not forgetting it."

This was all over the news. There was a lot of talk about it on the radio today and supposedly, Mung people like this Vang guy have no idea what private property is (total BS). I still can't believe this guy went nuts and started killing people over a deer stand. :?

!M!

Not to stereotype, but I had a friend (when I was in the service) who was from WI and he was telling me that some of the Hmong, or Mung (not sure if they are the same), people were big recluses and quite odd... he said they seemed disconnected from society. I don't want to lump them all into this profile, but that guy must be whacked...

Its time like this that I wish we had the death penalty!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x4_2_204v.gif

I think there should be special occasions were we could use the death penalty when the crime that was commited is so bad that no other punishment other than death would do!!!

I hope this guy becomes some big fat guys bioch in jail!!! :x

Guy

Its time like this that I wish we had the death penalty!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x4_2_204v.gif

I think there should be special occasions were we could use the death penalty when the crime that was commited is so bad that no other punishment other than death would do!!!

I hope this guy becomes some big fat guys bioch in jail!!! :x

Guy

In child sexual abuse cases, the worst possible penalty is life without possibility of parole. Those guys get treated the worst in prison -- worse than death.

I heard today that they are now investigating a shooting that took place back in 01'(I think thats what year it was) during deer hunting season too. Apparently there was a group of 3 "asian" men spotted shortly after this other guy was shoot in the back 2 times. They think this might be the guy but they cant locate the other 2 guys or dont know who they might be?

Now this guy is saying that the guy that confronted him shot at him first! Well if he did then there should be an empty shell/cartrige laying out there in the weeds! I really hope there isnt, it will just prove even more that this guy is nuts and needs to be locked up forever!

Guy