HybridZ

LS1 mounts installed today.

Well I got the mounts from John’s Cars installed today. I had some minor problems and had to call John, but as soon as he heard I was having a problem he picked up the phone and set me straight. Thanks John! It’s funny how you sometimes think something is going to be hard and it turns out to be easy. I think that’s what good engineering is all about and from what I have experienced so far John’s kit has been very well done. Next step is get the engine completed (waiting on a new clutch) and I’m going to be lowering that bad boy in there.

Plethura, now there's a word for ya. I guess a couple of hundred across the nation would be a plethura. :D

Dale,

Great news on you getting the mounts installed. They sure fit nicely, don't they? I was very pleased with the design once I got them in my car. I really like the Motor mount tower stiffening plates. Those stock motor mount towers seem pretty thin.

Installing the mounts was one of the easist parts of this swap. Lots of hard work ahead.

As for a couple of hundred of them, WHOA! Lets not loose our originality here. Maybe a couple of dozen. It won't be quite the same if everyone has one. SHHHHHH! It's a secret! LOL

Just kidding, I think 30 is about right for the next few years. Your car looks good. My car is a beater but has a solid body and good rails. The plan is to get it running good enough to see the main stuff I want to change then tear it all apart next winter. I just hope I can get it driving before spring. Been doing a lot of homework and have a planing board in my dining room that details my goals. That way I can always look at the board and go do something productive. Works well after a couple of beers, or first thing in the morning when I'm not quite awake. Problem is that I dont do anything else but work on the car! Oh and support myself by working 70 hours a week manufacturing circuit boards.

Your right though, lots of hard work ahead. I noticed in your pictures that you had removed the whole transmission mount instead of just the ears. Is that because it's a 240 and has a smaller tunnel?

:D Yo YOP..... http://WWW.BROKENKITY.COM !! John's cars are great. as well as, use the search function. A ton of info has been written by me as well as others.

PLETHURA :shock: Don't know the def to that one. but.. I believe i gotta clue! Need any help Dale or any of you bug bitten LS1Z people, feel free to get ahold of me!

And yes! as QWIK240Z said... Still lots more of work. I used to wonder way ahead on how this project would turn out, and ALL of these problems I would run into. At times, I didn't have an answer. Every thing comes together, through this website. Hella cool :mrgreen: Like one big family!!

THANK YOU

JOEY

Your right though' date=' lots of hard work ahead. I noticed in your pictures that you had removed the whole transmission mount instead of just the ears. Is that because it's a 240 and has a smaller tunnel?[/quote']

The 240Z had different ears on it. There seems to be enough clearance to leave them in place. I don't know that they actually needed to be removed but I followed the instructions and they are gone now so too lare. John found several different types of 240Z factory trans mounts and mine was different than the ones he had.

On your plan board, that would be very helpful. I should do that too. How about a picture of it so we can see the plan?

Guest ALL UC2

well, im new to posting here but you can add me to the list of ls1 z cars. i have a 73 240 and already have a ls1/4l60e combo sitting in mine. i made my own motor mounts and still have to build the trans x-member. any pics of the x-members would be great.

also if anyone has any ???? about ls1's i know alittle bit about them i have owned a 98 trans am(ran 7.6 in the 1/8th) and i just installed a ls1 in a 69 camaro for one of my friends, and am currently helping another friend install a LS2,NOT TYPO, into a 62 corvette. hopefully i can help somebody, cause i have learned alot from you guys about datsons.

"Would you say that I have a plethura of pinatas?"

Great movie, I thought it was spelled plethora, but never checked on that.

As far as trans mounts, search for Jeromio's he has a custom mount. Others are using the JTR mount, and John's Cars has a unique mount which may not work because your engine position will likely be different. I made my own modified version of what Jeromio did. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

I stand corrected. Plethora it is. What do you expect from an engineer? :oops:

Trans mount - another option if you really want to get fancy wold be the modified torque tube design I have which uses a pair of C-channel and some miscellaneous parts to tie the rear of the tranny to the front of the diffy. Also eliminates the front mount on the diffy and transfers the engine torque through the differential rather than the body. Pros & cons there depending on how much torque you're generating. It's a one-off design Johns Cars used on my prototype and then abandoned as being too complicated for the average "shade tree" mechanic. That ought to drop the gauntlet for a few of y'all. :D

Guest ALL UC2

HE BOUGHT THE LS2 OFF EBAY. IF CAME FROM A 05 VETTE THAT WAS USED FOR TESTING. WORD IS THAT THEY PUT IT IN THE VETTE, PUT A FEW HOURS WORTH OF TESTING ON IT AND PULLED IT OUT. HE HAD TO GIVE $6800.00 PLUS SHIPPING FOR IT.

HE ALREADY HAS IT IN THE CHASSIS HE HAD BUILT WITH C5 SUSPENSION. PAID $11,000 FOR THE CHASSIS!!!.....YIKES. HE BUILDS SOME OF THE SWEETEST HOTRODS I HAVE EVER SEEN.

THIS GUY ONLY BUILDS CARS FOR HIMSELF AND HE HAS TWO FULL TIME BODY MEN THAT WORK AT HIS HOUSE, A GARAGE THAT HAS A TOTAL OF 8 BAYS, 2 LIFTS, AND EVERY SNAP-ON TOOL THAT THEY MAKE I THINK. LOL....I HATE EVEN GOING OVER THERE~!!!!

HE IS GONNA FEEL BAD WHEN HE GETS SMOKED BY A 240, HEHE.....

As for the transmission tunnel question. The way I see it according the the directions the ears were to be removed, but the tunnel support should stay intact. On the 280 I have a U shaped tunnel support with mounts for the transmission mounted to that. All I removed was the mounts and left the U shaped support.

As for the planning board, it is really more of a remider of details board. Since my wife died in June I have become really disorganized and forgetfull, so I write the small detail stuff on the board to remind me of things I can work at anytime. Here's how the board looks today. It really helps me alot cuz I see it like 20 times a day.

http://www.circuitflex.com/PlanningBoard.jpg