HybridZ

Racer X and other paint guys.. NO 56K! alot of pics!!!!

Guest ON3GO

me and my boy ed (nismoed on here) were talking about paint ideas for my blue Z as ill be doing paint and body work on it very soon.

ed was telling me about this type of paint thats like dull yet not like a primer. its smooth and all just dull.

what i was wondering if any of you know were i could look at these paints on the net.

was thinking of a bright BRIGHT white paint.

also looking for a bright orange paint with the same type of finish

any ideas and help would be great.

mike

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

You can add a dulling agent to the clear on any base/clear paint job for a satin effect. Any paint supplier can sell you the additive and it comes with a sheet that tells how much to add. You can play with it to get different levels of shine... or lack thereof.

Or you can get true suedes from alsacorp.com:

http://www.alsacorp.com/products/softtouch/softtouch.htm

As Magnum mentioned you could employ a flattening agent to the clearcoat. Here in California that product is now illegal and no longer sold. I use flex and flat clearcoat that is used for urethane bumpers.

It sounds like your son may be talking about "neon" type colors? If so' date=' this is a 3 stage paint system, requiring a phosphorous basecoat that will not stand up to UV rays - even if you use UV resistant clear coats - the basecoats (the phosphorous and color base)will deteriorate within a few months - you and your customer won't be happy!!!

Here's a link to a variety of color chips:

http://www.sanobike.com/hok.htm

hope this helps.

RacerX[/quote']

hehe im only 21.. ed is my friend.. i said my boy cuz he is my boy lol..

too funny :)

i want something that will last in the sub (florida and houston weather is HOT and sunny).

and no its not neon colors.. i just want the brights DULL type white i can get. because a high gloss black will be on some of the body panels.

mike

Just sand it when your done with a light grit, thatll make it dull.

wanna make it dull but still have that glossy touch... hard to explain.

maybe i can get ed to chime in here..

mike

What were were talkn' about was a chemical deglosser that you add to the clear coat. But Mike was wanting some pics of cars done this way. Basically going for that "Rat Rod" look but with the clear coat still to protect it from bird shit. 8) Even if you use like a 3,000 grit to the clear it'll still look all chalky when it dries.

How come it's illegal in Cali? :shock:

Hey mike... maybe a rough buffing compound? I still think the De-Glosser is the easiest way to go. :wink:

-Ed

Yeah.. Mikes not my father lol

Daddy.. buy me beer.... pwease.. I'm thristy!

haha. 8)

i have atleast 18 bud lights and 15 coronas here.. come over!

we can drink and wrap my downpipe and then talk about how im gonna make my blue Z stupid with this paint job :D

mike

or chris.. that guy loves his miller light!!!

plus i miss hanging out with him, guy teachs me more then my damn auto school!

Z guys are the best!

Also Racer X, im looking for a different yet nice two tone look on a Z...

have any ideas?

mike

Guest 240zJake

http://www.hksusa.com/info/?id=2322 I like the way that z looks, maybe something similar, its not too extream.

Or maybe at the fender line crease that runs along the car do a different color for each half...

Heres a thing on the dull paint finish as done by SCC

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/projectcars/0307scc_mini/

The idea for the paint came from the Yamaha R1, a bike which, in black-and-silver livery, is the two-wheeled incarnation of evil. A fine, nearly pearlescent metallic undertone to the bike's fairings elevate its flat black finish from the air of stop-gap cheapitude dripping from our Silvia to an artistic expression that makes you question the very concept of gloss.

Imagine our delight when we finally found a painter who understood that. Nathan Simmons, owner of Custom and Classic in Pasadena, Calif., clearly uses proper ventilation. Not only did he know exactly what we were babbling about with our metallic flat black, he was full of ideas for other radical finishes he was ready to try, like rough-sanded flat silver that resembles bare metal. Maybe when the Silvia's Bondo tumor is cured...

Meanwhile, metallic flat black it is. Simmons custom mixed our metallic black, finishing it off with a clearcoat doped liberally with dulling agent. Being a rare request, the exact amount of dulling agent was in question. Our finish ended up fairly semi-gloss; not exactly the R1 finish we were looking for, but menacing nonetheless. Parked next to our rattle-can black, it's several shades blacker, and the semi-gloss replaces the declarations of cuteness with semi-disgusted questions about our paint problems. Perfect. Anyone with an automotive soul, on the other hand, understands immediately.

very cool link on that mini!!

thanks man!

the look im after is like a cartoonish type thing!

like a real bright white but just DULL and mean looking..

while ill have some gloss parts on the car in black to make them stand out.

with some dull orange paint line somewhere..

thats the idea so far..

mike

Guest 240zJake
Anyone with an automotive soul, on the other hand, understands immediately.

I understand...that will look awesome 8)

I'm gunna be trying to paint my z while im home for christmas break...maybe Ill get some ideas from your plan...

Im going red orange and now im thinking flat black stripes would look bitching

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

For primer on bare metal, use a self-etching primer from Sherwin Williams' 7000 series, or probably other reputable brands.

I have an old school painter buddy who said he has some info for me regarding rust prevention before my next paint job, so next time I see him I'll post what he recommends in this thread. He mentioned some type of sprayable coating.

I think a cool paint scheme would be satin white w/ a single 18" wide satin black stripe down the center of the car, with the black stripe bordered by 1" wide bright gloss orange stripes. Can you picture that?

oh man.. I HATE SHERWIN WILLIAMS, they fucked me hardcore my first paint job.. I'll never use their products ever again. And yeah.. I've been usn' Marine Clean a POR15 product to etch the metal first... then cleaning with lacuer thinner and sprayn' the PPG corrosion primer/sealer. but it's still bleeding through? I'm gonna go to the paint store and get just a dedicated sealer, then a high build primer to spray over that.. I think that should do the trick.

As for mikes paint... I keep telln' him last night... put some rally stripes on the side like the old muscle cars... you know from hood to sideskirt maybe with a "280z" in them. I think with the center stripe startn' with the bulge that'd look pizimp

-Ed

I think a cool paint scheme would be satin white w/ a single 18" wide satin black stripe down the center of the car, with the black stripe bordered by 1" wide bright gloss orange stripes. Can you picture that?

thats sorta my idea but not a full stripe.. just the buldge on the paint and the wing and part of the air dam