HybridZ

Anybody an OVERHAULIN' fan?

maichor

I've pretty much become a Tuesday night regular for that show. The lure for me is the thought that they do this for regular people, and in 7 days! Amazing. Although they only do minor fabrication, they certainly do overhaul these cars. They easily drop $30-40K into these cars for free. Somebody "donates" a 600hp crate motor, usually Ford Racing or Edelbrock, somebody else chips in with a pile of electronics, all costom upholstry etc., etc., etc.

SOMEBODY PLEASE NOMINATE MY CAR! Oh, how I wish, but they will never do it. They usually pick muscle cars because all of the sponsors will pony up the dough to advertise their parts. That would not work with a Z. There is not enough aftermarket to pull it off.

What I like most is that Chip Foose is an extreme talent, but so humble, even tempered, and upbeat. What a guy. Compare that to the drama always unfolding on American Chopper and American Hot Rod. Chip is a class act. I've never heard him bleeped out or seen him yell at anyone. He certainly is a "Good Guy."

IF, by some chance, you do happen to get your car on the show to be overhauled, don't think that it's not going to cost you a bundle when they're done.

This is the disclaimer from their website.

"Disclaimer: Applicant agrees to pay all federal, state, and local taxes, including income, use or sales taxes or any other governmental charges imposed on prizes, including the value of any goods or services received and cash gifts, if any, given to me or received by me by reason of my participation in the program and I release and indemnify producer from any liability therefor. I also authorize producer to deduct or withhold any such taxes or charges that require a payment prior to delivery of said prizes, cash or gifts."

In short, better go take out a loan.

Same thing happens when you win something on a game show...you owe the taxes based on the value to Uncle Sam. Just thought you'd like to know that, so when you get the keys back, the first place you should drive to is the bank.

I believe that is just what it says, a disclaimer. I doubt the tax would be enforcable. I don't think that when someone steals your car and fixes it up, that you could be made to pay taxes on it. . . (yes they steal the car because it is taken without the owner's permission or knowledge). There is an insider but almost never the owner. The show can call it a prize, which they probably did because the IRS said, "Hey wait a minute, all of these donating companies are writing off Overhaulin' donations as expenses, where's our piece?" When push comes to shove, do you think that the IRS, Chip Foose, TLC or anyone else would remove all of the new parts, paint, etc., and reinstall the old parts, paint, rust, etc. It is impossible to do, yet the car is still owned and registered to rhe person being overhauled. They would have to return it. All that person would have to do is press charges for the theft and they would be allowed to recover their car. That is my guess anyway. I think the IRS asked TLC to ask the owners of these cars to pay the taxes. I doubt that they could legally hold the car as a tax lein (i.e. not turn over the car to the owner until taxes are paid. Any attorneys out there?

It seems the "regular" people part is starting to wain. Lance Armstrong and Sheryl crow are not what I'd call regular people. They also did a build for one of the guys from 90210 a while back. The show looses it's "thing" when they do a build for someone that should be able to have a car built on their own. The guy with the Olds 442, that was a good build, as was the women with her fathers 64 vette.

I tried to watch this show last night. The show would be alright if it didn't have the two wanna be homeboy / homegirl wee-todds as hosts. I thought that their remarks we useless and aimed at teenagers. It also reminded of an info-mercial with the constant plugs for flowmaster and they other sponsors.

I mean no offense to Machior and the other guys that like the show...I guess I am just a crab-ass skeptic like my wife says.

I enjoy watching the fab work but could do without the filler. I also can't watch american chopper or the boyd hotrod show because its all about the drama,and these shows rely on this aspect for itheir audience. Monster Garbage rates about the same for me...all show no go.

Biker build off is ok because fabbin is the heart of the show and the sheet talkin' is kept to a minimum.

Sorry to be a bummer but you asked...

I am the same way with American Chopper and Hotrod. Bitch and moan, all about the people and the drama. As for bike building, the guys on American Chopper don't seem to have a clue. Just tacking a bunch of other peoples parts together with seemingly not much thought into how it will all work together. I would like to see them ride a spiderman garbage bike cross country. Guess they are doing alright so who am I to critisize?

Now Jessie is cool because he can take a flat piece of steel and make anything out of it. I would love to have half of his tools.

I do like Overhaulin. It is interesting to see what they do with the cars. My wife even watches it toward the end of the show. The girl is not too bad. She stays on topic for the most part. And yes, like all car shows, it is becoming one long infomercial for the guys donating the parts.

They have made some pretty cool cars though. That Camaro they made for the 90210 guy was truely sweet. There were a couple of others with outrageous paint jobs. wouldn't mind being on the show. Taxes I can handle.

I'm with Rufus.

My wife turned me off of pretty much all of those shows. We were watching Monster Garage and Jessie was bitching about the project and my wife turns to me and says: "I can't believe you're watching this little bitch whine about how he isn't getting his way! AGAIN!!!" Ever since then I turn one of these things on and all I can see is a bunch of whiny babies bitching and moaning about every little thing. Like the American Chopper guy... doesn't matter that the whiny baby is 6'5" and 280 lbs, he's still a whiny baby.

The only one I watch anymore is Overhaulin, and that's because I like seeing the owner so happy at the end. But I agree with Rufus about the hosts and their stupid ass remarks in general.

Can't forget to mention the forerunner of all these shows, Junkyard Wars. Way back when the British lady was hosting that was a hell of a show. Haven't seen it lately...