HybridZ

Hella Part Number

Miles

I have reseached the Hella 70476 and 70477 part numbers and can't find what the difference is. Autozone sells the Hella 7 " lamp as 70477 for $48.99 each and Kragen sells a Hella 7" lamp as 70476 for $59.99 each. As far as bulbs go the Narva XB3 and the H4 Xenon appear to offer bright white light.

Stuck with Hella as a brand name? Knock off lights with the bulbs you mention are available as a pair for a price close to what the Mass Merchandaisers are selling a reflector assembly for are availabe from http://www.h4lights.com

Talk with John. he also deals as a regional Distributor for Hella, and may be a ble to answer your question. He is in SoCal.

Not stuck on a brand. I'll give John a call Monday to further my research.

Cibies are reported to have the best beam pattern, but they are expensive. The only difference I have found between the Hella 70476 and the 70477 DOT "Vision Plus" is that the 70476 may be for off road only. According to one reviewer, the 70477 beam pattern isn't much better then a sealed beam.

Thanks

Miles

Yes, John will fill you in on the details on the "Vision Plus" They are SAE pattern if I recall correctly, while the others are E-Code. i prefer E-Code, legal or not. Light and being able to see is what is important to me, If the cops want to ticket me for a $10 fixit ticket, I'll do what I have done for years: Scrawl in an illegible signature, put a badge number in the box and "CPD" in the "ORG" box, and send it in with the $10. Screw them! I'm not getting killed because of some arcane rule on diffuse light projecting up to read unilluminated street signs. I want to see what's on the ROAD, not what's in the TREETOPS!

Do I mask my contempt at the laws well enough? John should be able to link you to a site on lighting that is trying to get the new standards for hte US to be the same as the E-Code. This would be good. I have run E-Codes on my vehicles sinc 1979...

For bulbs I tried Hella bulbs side by side with a no name bulb, both were 55/65 and there wasn't a visible difference in brightness. If you have to buy the bulbs seperatly I would get the higher wattage bulbs. I would either run the 55/100's or the 80/100's. If the 80/100's are adjusted properly they are fine.