HybridZ

rb25det in a 280 datsun

Guest icedragon

Guest icedragon

okay i am so lost ... and the more i search the forums and the web the more confused i become ... :-?

to start i want to work on my 75 280z (although i might replace it with a better condition 77 or 80 model)

what i want ...

to have a base of about 230ish hp min with room for upgrades

a set up that handles well and is SAFE for street use

the upgrade not to be visible(IE i want the stock body to hide everything)

to start with i will admit that when it comes to imports i am way behind the learning curve, so please be gentel and keep abbreviations to a minimum.

My plan is to upgrade to RB25DET

Here are some tidbits of what i have found on the forum

“if you get a rb25 with a oil pan on it it should work. All the rb configurations in japan are front sump except the rb20 z31 †stony

“the rb20det from the z31 in japan did not need to be modified it is a rear sump. you just take the oil pan and pickup from that motor and bolt it on the rb25†-stony

“ok here you go... get z31 engine mounts, z31 rb20 oil pan and sump and it will bolt in†-stony

“A Z31 I take it you are talking about an early model 300zx.. In Australia I think they came out here with a 3ltr v6. But it wont be too much trouble to get some sent from Japan.†- anonymous

“No you cannot use the VG or any other mounts they have to be RB20 Z31 engine mounts, or custom mounts.†-stony

“Parts numbers if anyone is interested:

11110 - Oil sump

15050 - Oil pickup

15200G - Oil pickup O Ring

11232 - RH Mount

11233 - LH Mount

11220 - Rubber mounting (LH and RH)†-250z

from http://www.neoshotruck2.com/nwp/partslist.htm

11110-31W02 OIL PAN ASSEMBLY $250.14

11232-N8400 BRACKET MOUNT $17.40

11233-N8400 BRACKET MOUNT $17.40

11220-14800 INSULATOR MNT $15.31

The motor sits a little fwd with the z-31 mounts so if your looking for optimal handling you’ll need to make custom mounts to set the motor down and back a bit. You’ll also need a custom drive shaft. - http://www.ffdet.com/members/mark/Tech.html

so reading this i gather i need z-31 motor mounts ... but then i see someone else telling me i need custom mounts

250Z was kind enough to provide the part numbers ... but i have been unable to locate the pickup

other issues i would like to get info on is where can all the bracketry be found to mount things like alternators, AC, Power Steering, etc (i have not seen it mentioned in any of the JDM engine adds)

Also are there cooling issues with the RB motors and the 70-83 280Z (if so what needs to be addressed)

TIA

Ok if you have an rb25 and this is what your going to install all you need is are the motor mounts, oil pan and oil pickup from the rb20 z31 out of japan. this will allow you to drop the motor in and start on mounting the tranny.

You will need access to the japan nissan parts market if you dont have this i would go the custom route.

If you want the motor to sit in its optimal position ... as low and as far back as possible...custom mounts are what you need. everything else above will still work. the oil pan will sit about 1 onch below the A Frame, and will be the first thing to hit if you bottom out.

Guest icedragon

how bad will the handeling be with the z31 motor mounts ... i am not talking about going road racing or any thing ... but i do have a lead foot :twisted:

are the part numbers listed by 250z not the japanesse parts? if not who is a REPUTABLE(not nessisarily cheap but the parts are quality and on time) vendor for the oilpan, pick up, and mounts.

how bad will the handeling be with the z31 motor mounts ... i am not talking about going road racing or any thing ... but i do have a lead foot :twisted:

are the part numbers listed by 250z not the japanesse parts? if not who is a REPUTABLE(not nessisarily cheap but the parts are quality and on time) vendor for the oilpan' date=' pick up, and mounts.[/quote']

well if you goto http://forums.skylinesdownunder.co.nz/index.php?s= you may find someone who can make these or get them...what ever. Ummm ill try to find some for u

Guest icedragon

okay i have found a better quality 1980 280ZX(much better frame rails although body has notable rust) for the same i was going to pay for my 75

what changes in regaurds to the 70-78 set up we spoke about ... ie rb20 oil pan z31 motor mounts

J. Soileau 74260zt if that oilpan will work on the 80 also please pm me

also just a though but can the pickup from the stock oilpan on the rb25 be salvaged and reused as the pick up for a rb 20 pan?

the other issue with the 80 in it is an auto(yuck) other than locating a petal assembly (and possible relocating the shifter) what would change in reguard to a manual tranny change

by the way thanks for all the great info so far

• 1 month later...

Question, how are all these trannys mounted?

Who is using a S13 Tranny, and who is using the RB RWD Tranny?

In addition, what ways are both trannys mounted?

(Also, from what I see, you can use the Z31 RB Motor Mounts, or the Z31 V6 Motor Mounts, are these two mounts different, because i know the 200ZR was the Z31 powered by the RB20DET in some countries.)

Guest JAMIE T

I don't know nuthin' bout no S13 tranny. You need the tranny that comes with the RB25DET. You should get when you get your motor. The awd tranny does not work.

All Rb Trannies Will Bolt Up To Any Rb Block.

Is this true with the RB20? Will it's tranny bolt up to a 26?

I think Jamie was alluding to the fact that the AWD tranny isn't really suitable to an RWD only swap. Integrating the AWD system require a SEVERE amount of custom fabrication to work. I think Vince (vintagetechz) is currently working on this type of project.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX

Yes It Will.... I Have Done It Numerous Times Although I Wouldn't Recommend It As Its Much Weaker Than The Rb25det Trans. You Can Use The Rb26 Awd Trans And Plug The Center Diff/transfer Case But Its Alot Of Unneeded Extra Weight. All The Trannies Have The Same Spline Count And Bolt Pattern.... If You Get A Neo Style Transmission It Will Use A Pull Style Clutch And Its Very Hard And Expensive To Find A Replacement For It.

One Thing I Was Doing For Extra Strength In The Rb20 Trannies Is Swapping Over To The Ka Or Sr Main Section.

You Get A Neo Style Transmission It Will Use A Pull Style Clutch And Its Very Hard And Expensive To Find A Replacement For It.

I've only recently heard about the R34's Rb25DET Neo engine. Since it's clutch is hard to replace, do you know if the R33's RWD tranny will bolt right up to the RB25 Neo engine?

RB20 trans behind a 500hp 26 will last about 1 holeshot. In fact, under a hard 3rd gear pull, you may lose all the teeth on third gear :) RB is RB is RB. I prefer the pull type clutches. They have much less pedal pressure for the same clamp. The HKS clutches for pull type RB have very nice street manners.

Guest PROJECTRB240SX
I've only recently heard about the R34's Rb25DET Neo engine. Since it's clutch is hard to replace, do you know if the R33's RWD tranny will bolt right up to the RB25 Neo engine?

THEY SHOULD.... ALTHOUGH I DON'T HAVE MUCH EXPERIENCE WITH THE NEOS I KNOW THEY USE THE SAME BLOCK AND THE TRANSMISSIONS ARE VISUALLY THE SAME EXCEPT FOR THE BELLHOUSING/SLAVE PLACEMENT. BUT I'M SURE THE BOLT PATTERN IS THE SAME. THE NEO MOTOR ITSELF IS NOTHING SPECIAL IT JUST HAS MORE AGGRESSIVE CAMS AND BETTER VVT CONTROL, BUT IT WOULD BE CHEAPER AND EASIER TO BUILD A NORMAL RB25DET. THERE IS A 240SX WITH 500+ HP RB25DET NEO.... BUT HE HAS $5000 IN INTERNALS/MOTORWORK NOW TO SUSTAIN IT BECAUSE HE DESTROYED THE STOCK INTERNALS.

IF YOUR LOOKING FOR SMALL BLOCK LIKE POWER YOU MAY WANT TO LOOK INTO BUILDING A RB30DETT.