HybridZ

More Transverse Bushings Ideas?

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=87758

There's the thread if anyone wants to read it again. I don't know how modified these suspensions were. Sounded like some were bone stock, some were raced, some in between. The point was more that the stock setup has it's weak points, and the TC buckets separating from the frame due to heims joints without bushings seems at best a minimal concern when weighed against the stock TC rod breaking in half because of poly bushings.

If I ever do something like this I plan on using Mike Kelley's design, which uses the out board side of the stock LCA and the stock mounts of the TC rods.

One thing about the sway bar mounting, how is it mounted in the BMW previously linked? Is it mounted to the strut tube?

pic-4.jpg

Owen

I did some checking and I think it's actually mounted off a little metal tab on the body rather than the strut. Shouldn't be too hard to do on a Z, just make it strong enough. This should solve the concern about the bending of the threaded adjuster of the adjustable control arms?

Owen

That don't make no sense Owen. If the sway bar is connected to the frame and the end links are connected to the body, then it does nothing. It has to connect to the suspsension somewhere. I've worked on a couple 3 series and the BMW end links are very long and they attach to a tab that sticks off the strut. Terry is right, the advantage is that the end link doesn't get tweaked even under full compression or extension. It really is a better design.

Owen' date='

Where did you get that picture of the LCA on a BMW? I'm surprised that someone would mount an LCA in single shear.[/quote']

It was from the link that was posted above - they claimed that this was the same arrangement as stock, which I was even more surprised at, seeing as how that piece was for a BMW.

"Single shear" defines a connection where the connecting bolt, pin, pivot, etc. is only connected to the frame, crossmember, beam, etc. on one side. The LCA connection on the BMW pictured above is a bolt that passes through the LCA and is threaded into the crossmember. The stock 240Z front LCA connection at the crossmember is "double shear" because the bolt passes through the crossmember, through the LCA, and through the crossmember again.

Single shear connections are generally thought of as weaker then a double shear connection. But a properly engineered single shear connection can be strong enough.