HybridZ

2.5 and 3 inch dp's???

fl327

Soon to be making both, the 3" will fit an s130 and I will check to see if it can also fit s30 with T swap and the t5. 3" features a CNC t3 flange specifically fabricated to clear the 3" to fit 3". 1 o2 bung standard 2 02 bungs is extra. 3" available with t4 flange. Once I test fit the 3" and get it ready for s130t chassis, they will be out and available.

You mention different DP's for different applications, I am not in need of one but if I were I would ask you..

Are you talking 45 or 90 degree bends?

From the experience I have with Zcar DP's I will say the biggest/best flowing DP depends on the car/tranny.

280zx:

you can only use 90 degree bends, but 3" is certainly possible.

earlyZ with Nissan trans:

3" with 45 degree bends (VERY tight fit)

earlyZ with T5 trans:

the only way to go 3" is to use 90 degree bends, however 2.5" with 45 degree bends are possible IF you grind out one of the aluminum "fins" on the bell-housing. If you really wanted to go extreme I think it may be possible to use a 2.5" bend up top and after it clears the trans you could flare it out and use a 3" bend at the bottom.

These are the physical clearance limitations as I know them, if anyone has experience contrary to what I have said then I am open to new ideas.

my 3" pipe with 45s will clear the s130t frame and tranny.

2.5 clears all with 45s.

I may make one with an egr fitting.

with the 3" the 45 has to start a bit_________and 45 again at_____axis

To clear a 3" on the t3 flange I had a CNC guy ______ a bit and enlarge ______ just a tad bit...

Hi!

First of all, I don't know what the s130 and s30 models mean? Guess it's the 280ZX(s130), and the earlier Z's (s30's)? If not, please explain.

Anyhow, I'm interested in a 3" downpipe to go in a 1970 240Z, that has a 280ZX Turboengine with a T3/T4 hybrid, and a T5 transmission. Can this be done with two 45 degree bends, or does it have to be 90 degrees? I don't mind a tight fit, as long as it clears and don't rub against the chassis.

Will the DP come with a flange at the rear, or just a standard universal type fitting that slides onto the next pipe if you know what I mean.

What would the price be? Aproximately. I live in Norway, so I'm also wondering how much the shipping costs would be to 5119 Ulset, Norway, through USPS and the cheapest shipping option.

• 4 weeks later...
I had to use a 2.5" 45 off the turbo to a 2.5 to 3" increaser to a 3" 45 and then a sweep 90 at the bottom.Two 3" 45's wouldnt fit on my 240 with 78 5 speed.

The key is to put the increaser first then make the pipe go straight out from the turbo for a couple of inches. Then when it is past the widest part of the transmission THEN make the 45 degree nose-dive. Check the pic here.. http://members.shaw.ca/icecube/DPside.jpg

Of course depending on the pipe you use it might have a thick wall (with a larger outer diameter) Than could cause problems as my exhaust has ZERO tolerance to be any tighter. The pipe does not seem to hit the firewall even when the engine torques but it is definatly pushed to the limit.

Just for reference my 2.5" dowpipe fits in my 73 240z with BW T5 tranny using 2 45 degree bends. I didn't have to grind fins.

Good to know, I guess it's a matter of playing around with the angles. I am just saying that as that was my experience when I gave my old 2.5 DP to a buddy with a T5. The angles were already determined, so we did what we had to to MAKE it fit.

Good to know, I guess it's a matter of playing around with the angles. I am just saying that as that was my experience when I gave my old 2.5 DP to a buddy with a T5. The angles were already determined, so we did what we had to to MAKE it fit.

That makes sense. I just wondered why it wouldn't fit if you were making a custom one.

I have a question about the flange on the turbo side. Is the flange just a normal T3 flange for us using the stock nissan/Garrett T3? I hear it is alittle different, like off centered. I have the Stainless pipe to make my DP but I need the flange. Anyone know? Thanks.. And GrayZEE that is a nice DP for sure..

I have a question about the flange on the turbo side. Is the flange just a normal T3 flange for us using the stock nissan/Garrett T3? I hear it is alittle different, like off centered. I have the Stainless pipe to make my DP but I need the flange. Anyone know? Thanks.. And GrayZEE that is a nice DP for sure..

If all you need is a SS flange, I can sell you one for a T3

I have a question about the flange on the turbo side. Is the flange just a normal T3 flange for us using the stock nissan/Garrett T3? I hear it is alittle different, like off centered.

Here is what the Nissan t3 flange must look like. The exhaust hole IS NOT centered between the bolt holes.

I thought it was different then the normal T3 flanges.. Thanks for clearing that up for me Scottie. GreyZee.. the flanges you have are like the nissan T3 flange I would need? Thanks..

Yes, I am still running the stock Nissan L28turbo and that is what the flanges were designed for. I can get them water-jet cut out of 1/2" stainless steel or laser-cut out of two 1/4 peices and then fused together.