HybridZ

Just started hybrid for first time, advice on mufflers

Just got the z going this afternoon. The 12 gallon tank it had was full of rust, so I don't have the new fuel system in yet, so just ran gas carb with a funnel filling the vent tube on the primaries. Trans works in forward 2 gears, don't have trans brake hooked up yet so I couldn't try reverse. No leaks, sounds good. Now it's time to get the fuel system done and take it over to the muffler shop to run from the S&S full length headers out the back. Thinking of going with the race one chamber flowmasters or with some flowmaster 40's on the outboard sides behind the rear end and cut outs right behind the collectors for race? Do you think the race flowmasters would be too loud.

Engine is 358 cu in (3.5 stroke), 13:1's, AFR 220's, crane solid roller, 250/260 .640/.666 on a 108LSA. I can run alcohol or race gas just by switching carbs, so I run race gas on the street mostly. Alky only after I get home from the races to empty the tank.

I'm going to race it on gas first, to see what times it'll do, then switch to alky and see what a difference it makes.

That motor does sound wicked indeed!!....

For what it's worth. I'm running the race flowmasters on the street. Everyone hears me coming. (hehe!)

A bit loud maybe, but it sounds so sweet at idle and gets the looks. The cops have not busted me yet but they sure do notice. If I stay out of the throttle its really not a problem.

on my z i have the long tube Hooker headers and i ran about a 1-2 foot pipe from each collector into a 2 chamber flowmaster which dumps in front of the axle. has nice sound. for street it is a tad loud. but racing its awsome!

Thanks for the advice guys! I took two pic's but I can't get them to post with the pic. How do you get the pic in there? I did a search for how to post pics and all I get is threads saying to post pic's so I'm not sure. Do the pic's have to be on a web site or can they be on the hard drive of my computer?

Dynomax bullets, eh. I run race flowmasters on my monte with a 406 14:1's AFR 220's, Comp roller 270/276 .675/.675 104LSA, on alky even with a cross over pipe they are extremely loud for the street. The flowmaster 40 series I've heard on HP TV on sundays, I've never heard the dynomax bullets, but just so happens I was looking at them in the Summit catalog last night while trying to fall asleep, beats counting sheep. I'll try to find some on EBAY today. Also going to call the muffler shop today and make an appointment to run 3 inch pipes.

So, out the back or in front of the rear wheels??

Thanks for the advice guys! I took two pic's but I can't get them to post with the pic. How do you get the pic in there? I did a search for how to post pics and all I get is threads saying to post pic's so I'm not sure. Do the pic's have to be on a web site or can they be on the hard drive of my computer?

The pics need to be hosted on the web somewhere. You can upload them to your album here on HybridZ. Once uploaded' date=' open the picture and right (alternate) click on it. Select 'Properties' and then copy that url and paste it between the [img'] tags in your post.

BTW, are you using the 4-7 swap cam? What crank (brand and material) are you using, and what length rods?

I had two chamber flow masters on my 383 stroker and it was almost unlivable on the street due to the resonance in the cabin... Not sure what I'll go with on this iteration, but an X-pipe will be used in conjunction with something quieter!

Mike

Well, I tried to post, but that didn't work, gives me a dead link. But there are some uploaded to the gallery. My boy was pretty excited to get that car. Too bad he's going to have to wait 6 years to drive it. Now that I think about it I should have bought him one when he was 2 or so, so that it'd be well broken in by now, he he!

Guest ALL UC2

It Is Hard To Beat The Sound Of The One Chambers. They Sound Great But Are Kinda Loud.

I Am Debateing On Either Those Or The New Super 40's. I Have A Set Of 3" Super 40's At My House So I Will Probally Use Them. Has Anyone Heard Them In Person Before??how Do They Sound

The block is a production 379 casting relatively late model 4 bolt, but does have the driver side dipstick. The Crank is a Eagle 4340 3.5 inch stroke cross drilled mains and lightening holes in all four rod throws. The rods are and early set of 6 inch carillo's that have been modified to eliminate the washers under the bolts that I traded for and were NIB, The pistons are JE's I'd have to look at the box for the part number. Cam is a very old TR grind I got off ebay, was NIB, not the 4-7 swap, but the valve event timing really showed some improvement on DD over newer grinds, So I used it and it dyno'd at a corrected 650HP. I'm at 5300 elevation in Alb, and the density air is usually around 6000 or 7000 feet sometimes worse in the summer.

Doc,

What heads and valvetrain?

What you have is very similar to what I am looking at (except for 4340 crank).

3.5 throw crank, 6" rods, forged 10.3:1 pistons with 76cc chamber heads (AFR I think...haven't decided yet).

Going with the 4-7 swap cam and hydraulic roller lifters and rockers.

Is your HP at the wheels or crank?

Tim, I went with the AFR 220's. I bought both of my sets from cnc motorsports on ebay. Hard to find, hard to get once you order them. I think the part number I got is 1060, which is for solid roller. I think the 220 cc ports are fine for this engine since it runs alky and with alky you could use a larger plenum and intake runner since there is twice as much fuel being input. For larger engines, like the 383 and up the 227's would be nicer.

When using the AFR heads you will end up with one hell of a gap at the intake manifold ends You'll find that they have alot of extra's that you may need, but when you read the literature it doesn't mention them. In fact I think that they say offset stud girdles are the only special requirements. I filled my gap with RTV and let it dry for a week.

Went to the muffler shop today and they ran 3" pipes back behind the trans mount. I bought some Dynomax bullet mufflers off ebay for 70 bucks and I'll install them when I get them. I installed the fuel cell today and I'm going to run the fuel lines and mount the aeromotive pump, lines, and regulator tomorrow. Then, Wee dog eeeeee! We'll take it for a drive. Shift that baby!

I'm running the dual input/output delta flow big block Flowmaster on my Z with a 2.25" dual exhaust and crossover. It is supposedly the quietest Flowmaster. It sounds nice but is very loud. There is a particularly loud resonant node at 3000 RPM. All the neighbors know when I start the car and several cops have asked what engine the car is running. The muffler case resonates a lot and the noise is very tiresome when the window is down. I'm running a 4-speed and 3.55 rear, which doesn't help.

Cop bait is something you probably don't need in one of these cars. I'll probably change over to something quieter unless I get talked out of it. I would not buy another chambered exhaust.

355 CI, 10.65:1 CR, Edelbrock performer RPM heads, 650 DP, Comp XE 286 Cam, Mallory Unilite Dist.

I looked at the car chemistry pieces, but the S&S full length headers have fitment problems and there was no way to fit those into the pipes right behind the collectors, especially on the driver's side.

I have flowmasters on my Monte and they don't do that much, great for racing, not much on the street and they resonate badly at cruise, so bad, I have to turn my Alpine stereo up to the max to drown out the sound. I think I'm going deaf.

This is why I'm asking you guys what you'd use if you had my car, what works, what don't and for your advice, so thanks for the input. I bought some Dynomax bullets, I'll try those, if that don't work, I'll try something else and sell them to somebody. Can't have it all, but it would be nice. How about a frequency cancelling circuit powered by 12V and we make a stealth exhaust system that sounds like a stock 2005 Honda civic even with 700HP under the hood!