HybridZ

Mud Slide in La Conchita, CA - pic

Tim240z

Tim, the most obserd thing about this is that the vast majority of people who live there went through the same mud slide exercise less than 10 years ago! So, how many time does it take for these folk to figure out that the hill side is going to be in their homes when heavy rains come.....it's not as if they were not warned or didn't know!!! You just gotta wonder about peoples logic sometimes. We certainly have had alot of mud slides in Venuta County, along with the flooding. Thank God it's sunny today.

Last word I heard was that the mass of mud was going to stay and the County Sheriff has proclaimed it a geologically unsafe area. That statement paves the way for the area to be closed permanently....we'll see....

I don't think that many of those people even had the appropriate insurance to live in that area. After the 95 'slide it was considered unsafe and many of the houses were, at one point, selling for sub $10,000. There was very little government oversight in that community (dictating distances from the cliff face, retaining walls...etc.) and, for some reason, the county was unable to force the residents to move.

The county of Ventura had installed an 18 foot retaining wall (costing something like $500,000) that was COMPLETELY obliterated by the current disaster. Estimates on future retaining solutions have now exceeded 50 million dollars... just to HOPEFULLY prevent disasters like this in the future. Who's going to pay for that?

It's a shame... many lives have been lost. IIRC many of the current residents were survivors of the 95 slide... go figure.

Shoot, if it was up to me I would go in now with fire hoses and dynamite and finish what nature started. Slide down as much dirt as possible, grade it out into that field on the left, and when it is all nice and level build a track of 2 million dollar homes. Might even be able to terrace the ground to give everyone and unobstructed ocean view.

Palos Verdes let people build homes in the Portugese Bend area. Not sure if living on top of the unstable hill is any worse than living underneath it.