HybridZ

Maichor needs opinions for Velo Rossa color

maichor

Well, I guess it is finally time to start the body work. I have most everything assembled and the car is running great. I originally handed paint color choice over to my wife. She chose Indigo Blue. Dodge and Ford have similar colors.

Here is our Cherokee which pretty much the color we were thinking.

8329Cherokee-med.jpg

Here is my car as it is in gel coat glory.

8329HarlingenXmas04_043-med.jpg

We saw "Rides" last night and we really liked the burnt orange color on one of the coupes. It was metallic with a lot of pearl and depth but popped in the sun. How do you achieve that look. Here is a rendering of the color used by Chip Foose. DO YOU LIKE AND WHAT OTHER SUGGESTIONS FOR COLORS?

DSC00024.jpg

She chose Indigo Blue

Thus was the creation of the BlueOvalZ. Anyway, prior to the most recent painting, I was looking at a brighter color more fitting of a sports car. An orange of some sort was one I threw around but she was so adamant about the dark blue that I stuck with it.

I like the way light colors show off the lines, vents, curves etc. The dark colors show off the accents and the chrome very well. I love the black, but it hides the vents and and front openings a little and shows off body imperfections. Red is hot, but I am not going for authentic Ferrari. I won't have any badges etc. And, like someone mentioned before, I have never seen orange, it would be unique.

Here is a photoshop and some other colors. Any votes for orange now?

8329orange3.jpg

L.jpg

stevesvrknottsberryfarm12.jpg

vrposter01.jpg

Again, I like the orange (not the photoshop orange). Add a little mica or metallic to it and the curves and contours should stand out even better. Grabber orange, or something like that. The bad thing about yellows and oranges is that a small change in shade or tone, and a "good" color now doesn't look so good anymore.

The silver pic looks like it gives the car the nicest mix of elegance, style and attitude, reminds me of SLR Mercedes' from the 60's.

If you want something slightly different, maybe add a bit of blue to the base silver and shoot a silver/blue pearl over it? Or a darker Gunmetal with a pearl white clear that accentuates the curves and let the chrome stand out? Judging by the big chrome Cobra R's you're going for an updated look over classic lines, in which case I think either of those combos would look gorgeous.

Red is beautiful, but it seems the colour of choice, the yellow doesn't suit the car at all, and the Indigo might look a little too modern for the VR.

My $0.02.

Guest blue73z

I agree with Dan about the metallic burnt orange. Look for some pictures of the Honda Goldwing (motorcycle) orange. I think Honda might have offered it on other bikes too, but I'm not sure. It looks like more the orange you are after. The 350z orange looks a bit too coppery to me.

Aaron

Edit: added picture

8099HondaGoldWing1800orange-med.jpg

Guest jim wm's

Thought I'd put my two cents in. At the Knottsberry Show in 2002 I went with John Washington with two cars and two others made the show. That's where the blue Velo Rossa was awarded it's first place trophy and the photo op. BTW it can be seen in the classified ad in this forum. The car was picked for the photo op because it was blue, which distingished it from the reds and yellow that were there. It was also picked because it was not a Cobra. The photographer, Bob, was looking for something fresh for the Magazine. A wise man once told me that he choose what appealed to him and that was the secret to his success. Happy motoring Jim

Thanks, for all of your ideas. Keep them coming.

I love the silver as well. I also saw a metallic grey that looked very good. The only reason I didn't jump right on the silver was because it felt like copying a masterpiece. Every VR owner knows that was Steve Graber's car. I wanted to make my own. With very few VR's I could be the ONLY orange one. The orange I have pictured in my head, I can't seem to reproduce in photoshop. Blueovalz is right, if the orange or yellow is not the right shade, it can look bad. I also agree with letting the woman pick the color. She was the one that started second guessing the blue. It looks ok, but a little out of place. I am going for the updated look, mainly because I cant find wire wheels wide enough. Custom wheels are $$$ and the Cobra R's were the cheapest thing out there, but they have grown on me and I am pleased with how they look on the car. Below the blue car is a better example of the orange I was thinking of. Something that changes dramatically in the light.

front.jpg

03J7G532916762B.jpeg

03J7G532916762G.jpeg

Blue73Z, I do like that motorcycle color. See how it almost looks yellow in direct light and orange/brown in indirect light. That might save a bundle over someone trying to reproduce a $15,000 paint job as on the hot rod for $2000. I wonder what that color looks like in the sun? This will be a fair weather driver.

Guest blue73z

Maichor,

Here is a picture of the color on the 2003 UT FSAE car.

80992003.jpg

When I was on the team in 2002 we used an orange (I think was a mitsubishi color) that ended up being a metallic copper with some orange in it. The 2003 team found the Goldwing orange and I was quite impressed when I saw the color on the car in person.

I vote (not that I have one) for some kind of orange close to that or a blue that is lighter and a little more silvery than the Cherokee like that of the Ferrari 612 Scaglietti.

8099ferrari_612_scaglietti_rear_2-med.jpg

Aaron