HybridZ

S20 Motor Or Cross Flow ?????

Guest Jim226

Hi everyone i'm kinda new to the forms but not to the z world....my dad is the one who got me into them owning about 15 throughout his life, now the "z bug" has bit me. I know that all U.S. Z'S came with the OHC L-6 but i was wondering if any1 knows if there are any places online that you can get a S20 DOHC L-6 or the cross flow motor i know these are the holy grails of engines but any japanese websited that might have these motors would be great.

Jim,

Don't mean to be a dream destroyer, but.....for the price you could buy an S20 for, if you could find one, you could probably do a complete RB26 swap. No joke. Even then, there's no way you could find all the extra stuff needed for that engine. If you're dead set on this, your best bet is to keep your eye on the Japan Yahoo Auction.Good luck

I can confirm from personal experience what Matt and Tony have told you. S20 ownership - even in Japan - is not for the faint hearted.

I have two engines; one at home in the UK and one still in Japan. I'm using the best parts from both to make one good one, but the rebuild parts alone have been costing me a small fortune.

Photos here: http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/showgallery.php?cat=3069

There's a lot of baggage that comes with an S20 swap, such as the need for a different front crossmember and the correct trans to bolt up to it. There does not seem to be much point in embarking on this conversion unless you carry it out with an eye to a certain amount of period detail and period flavour. The S20 is not a big power engine, and I keep telling people that my project car ( a fairly period-correct 432R replica ) is all about just that - flavour.

The 'LY' sohc crossflow head is a step up to another level entirely. These things make S20 engines look positively common. They command huge prices in Japan and anybody who is thinking of selling one will usually have a waiting list of people that booked a place in the queue years in advance.

The full 'LY' conversion included a special crank, rods and pistons, flywheel, damper and numerous other details. Don't forget that it too - like the S20 - needed a different bellhousing for the trans in comparison to the normal L-series 6.

I don't want to be a Dream Destroyer either, but these exotic pieces of Z history don't give you much in the way of 'bang for buck'.......

Hi Cody,

The S20 has 26 head bolts in total.

There are 14 bolts that pass through the head casting and thread into the block. These are all located close to the cylinders, as you would expect.

Additionally, there are 12 smaller studs threaded into the head casting. When the head is placed on the cylinder block, these studs pass through the cylinder block along the outside edges to emerge on machined flats under a ledge. These are then nutted and torqued in sequence with the rest of the head bolts.

The mains caps are cross-bolted from the outside of the block too. Its quite a complex and over-engineered piece. They must have cost a lot to make.