HybridZ

Headlight buckets

74_5.0L_Z

I am in the process of installing a Reaction Research SubtleZ fiberglass front end on my car. I am very happy with the quality of the kit, but I have a problem:

I need headlight buckets (fender extensions)! The fenders are made to use the stock extensions, but I am lacking one because I smooshed it in an accident. The one that I do have is a reproduction unit from Victoria British (junk), and I would like find some that fit better. I would prefer have some that are fiberglass that are not junk.

Does anyone have some fiberglass headlight buckets that fit well (company or individual)? In lieu of fiberglass units, I would settle for some used factory extensions that are in good shape.

Thanks,

Dan McGrath

DatsunLover: I have a Early 71 240z (vertical Defroster lines in rear glass) build date 2/71 and it has steel headlight buckets. I wasnt aware of them ever coming with Fiberglass parts stock. The Headlight buckets are stock because when I sanded them down it was the same factory color as the rest of the body.

Dan,

I know that you have the SubtleZ front end on your car, and that the seam has been filled. Where did you get your extensions?

I'm not sure that I want to fill the seam. I like the way that it looks, but I want to be able to replace the extension if (when) I screw up again.

ArizonaZcar sells fiberglass extensions. Has anyone here used his fender entensions. How is the fit / quality? I am pondering using his filled extensions, but he states that he won't ship his fiberglass parts on the web site. Maybe he would for such small pieces.

MSA sells fiberglass extensions, but they are listed for 162.00/ea. That seems to be a bit expensive unless the fit is perfect, and they laminated in gold.

There are also the ones made by ShowCarBody Parts, but I have heard that all their stuff is crap.

John Washington,

I would buy fiberglass extensions from you if you made them (I'm sure that many others would as well).

I'm about to have exactly the same problem. Smoothline makes them, but someone replied to my possible group buy thread that the ones they got from them were poor quality. I noticed Motorsport now shows them, but at $160 each, kinda spendy, and I don't know who makes those or have any idea of quality.

BTW, very early 240's did have fiberglass headlight buckets.....

Jason

Dan' date='

I know that you have the SubtleZ front end on your car, and that the seam has been filled. Where did you get your extensions?

[/quote']

I have a '73. My car had been hit in the front end at one time and when I pulled it apart I found that I had one steel and one fiberglass extention. I traded my perfect steel extention and $40 to Zparts for a near-perfect fiberglass one. Eric had a big stack of them at the time, most were steel.

I just ordered the last set of filled fiberglass headlight buckets from Dave at Arizona Zcar. I have decided to blend them in to the front fenders. I still have to decide what I want to do about headlights. I may relocate some small diameter headlights into the grill area, or cut some holes and do something akin to Terry Oxendale's first version of his "street" body.

I'll be sure to update this thread after I get the headlight buckets installed.