HybridZ

LS1 Project

Guest Boosted98gsx

Guest Boosted98gsx

Hey guys,

I currently drive a 98 Eclipse GSX and want to get out of the 4banger world. Looking for something a bit stronger. Anyways, no domestics strike my eye as "good looking" so i diverted my mind to maybe a RWD import hybrid. So one night it struck me, "Lets put an LS1 in a Datsun Z!" Mike, aka On3GO, has been my inspiration for this as i find his blue 77 to be breathtakingly good looking (and mike too ;) (j/k)). I just want to see the look on the ricers faces here in houston when i hit the switched for the electronic cutouts and let a head/cammed LS1 rumble.

So yea, i'm currently looking for a good deal on a rolling chassis/body that could use paint, but has little to no rust (if it has some, that's ok, i know how to weld and can cut out and reinstall some reinforment steel).

Also looking for some general advisement on this swap as to how difficult it is (i'm fairly proficiant in car modifying and have full confidence in my capability to undergo this swap). Do i need cutom motor mounts, tranny suspension, tranny suggestions etc.

I'm greatly appreciative of your help and patience w/ me as i am new to this feild of cars.

-Andy

You want to get away from the four bangers, when someone right now is looking to put the same four banger from your GSX into a Z car (seriously, search the site here) :wink: Four cylinder engines aren't that bad if you chose the right one to modify, heck look at the SR20DET for example.

For your other questions, and I'm sure "breathtakingly good looking" Mike has told you, you should search for your answers on this site first, because 99% of time time, they have been answered already.

!M!

Told ya andy.. search and you will find.

this site has been around along time and everything and anything has been talked about AND put in a Z.

but yes custom motor mounts are needed for a LS1. the already made V8 mounts companys sell for Z's are for LT1/SBC style mounts.

you will need a custom tranny mount as well.

also go with a T56, i wouldnt put anything but a manual in a Z.. unless its a GN motor.. right Mat :D hehe.

but andy unlike you i would take out your 4G63 motor from your GSX and put it in a Z.. now that would be cool.

just think you run 12's now in that heavy ride, would be even faster in a Z.. plus cooler :D

mike

i wouldnt put anything but a manual in a Z.. unless its a GN motor.. right Mat :D hehe.

Damn straight.

EDIT: Wait, doesn't Johns Cars have a kit for the LS1? Also, I think Mike at JTR is working on a LS1 kit, isn't he? Or was Mike at JTR just offering the headers? There you go Andy, some search words that are in bold that you can use while performing searches :wink:

!M!

Guest Boosted98gsx
Damn straight.

EDIT: Wait' date=' doesn't [b']Johns Cars[/b] have a kit for the LS1? Also, I think Mike at JTR is working on a LS1 kit, isn't he? Or was Mike at JTR just offering the headers? There you go Andy, some search words that are in bold that you can use while performing searches :wink:

!M!

Thanks, i tried Ls1 swap and others, but got very non-descriptive posts.

More cylinders and cubic inches does not always mean more power, especially when the comparison is with the 4G63 or SR20det. A decently prepped 4G63 or SR20det will give a V8 all it can handle in power, not to mention the advantages of lighter weight, weigh distribution and fuel economy. Having said that, you cannot argue with the LS1/Z swap as that engine is proving to be one of the nicest for any hybrid.

Dale pretty much summed it up. I too am using John's kit with the JTR radiator, cold air ducting and headers. Maybe try doing a search under user names like DALEMX, MAS280, PHANTOM, JERONIMO, QUICK240, 1FLYFAST1 or me. Did I forget somebody? All of us are using the LS1 and there is a ton of info!

JOEY

I'm doing the swap too. And JCI (John's Cars Inc.) is in Dallas. Phantom is in Dallas area with a LS1 Z completed and daily driver for a couple of years now.

I have a donor car for you but I am in the Washington, DC are. See it here:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/eastcoast240z

and more info here:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/eastcoast240zp2

Lots of good info on this site. Check out all the post by the guys listed and I am sure you will have more than enough reading to keep you busy for a while.

Guest Boosted98gsx

Thanks guys. I currently own a 4g63, and to achieve any kind of real power out of this engine, you have to really sacrifice daily drivability. The engine just cannot reliably push 400+ to the ground w/o breakin crap. Good 'ol mitsu quality. Anyways it would also be a PITA to bolt the engine up in the datsun as the 4g doesn't have lower positioned motor mounts, they're on the sides (of the front and rear in the datsun).

I just want to get away from the 4bangers and get something that's more powerful and responsive to mods. If i did this swap, the LS1 would be going into the vehicle already prepped w/ heads and a cam (about 450chp) so i could drop it in and have something to scare the kiddies.

Hey guys. Thought I'd weigh in here.

If you can search under "LS1 / T56" - that should bring up a lot of information unless it's been lost from the archives. Johns Cars in Dallas, http://www.brokenkitty.com, makes the LS1 conversion components that my car was the prototype for. I now have nearly 15,000 miles on the car since the conversion and it's running strong.

Hey, LS1 Z, you forgot LoneStar1, Jeromio, Cyrus, and me (Maichor). I am so hurt and offended!!!! Not! As many have said, John's cars has a kit. If you are interested in doing your own mounts, I suggest you read our marathon thread on the LS1. This thread predates the John's cars kit and has good info from those that have done it from scatch. Not essential reading if you use a kit, but good info nonetheless.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=67949

Anyways it would also be a PITA to bolt the engine up in the datsun as the 4g doesn't have lower positioned motor mounts, they're on the sides

The 4G isn't out yet ;)

There is such a thing has having too little weight in the front end. I thought about doing the 4G63/4G64 hybrid into my Z but abandoned the idea awhile back (you might be able to find the post around here, not sure)...maybe someday, I dunno...anyway, I recently met somebody who has an SR20DET installed into his Z and when I asked him about how well it handles his answer actually took me by suprise.

Apparantely it handles worse with the SR20DET in than it did with his L24. The reason? It's not front end heavy enough which causes it to push quite a bit. I'd never taken that into consideration until talking to him.

The biggest problem I ran into wasn't the mounts (there are, if I remember right, a matching pair of holes on either side of the 2G 4G63T that would be able to be used for mounts). The biggest problem is finding a transmission with proper gear ratios to transfer that power to the rear end, unless you followed the StarQuest folk's lead.

O.K. Another Sorry, MAICHOR. I was running names off the top of my head and I knew I forgot a few. LONESTAR1 I'm not familiar with. I believe before my HYBRIDZ birthdate. CYRUS. Oh yea I've seen his car many times after it was sold to KHASHIBI1. I believe the car is know gone and MikeJTR has the crossmember or engine mounting. Jeromio (spelled his a.k.a. wrong) Haven't seen a post from him in a while. Soooo I guess we have a pretty complete list of LS1 Z'S. What about the guy in the Santa Cruz area that did the Smog legal swap?

JOEY

I don't know his name either. But, you have to know who Lonestar1 is, so here it goes.

Lonestar1, Gary is from Mesquite Texas. He was the first to complete the LS1 swap and did it all himself with a crate LS1. He has a beautiful blue Z with white racing stripes. He has an auto tranny, stall, and a few bolt ons. If by a few bolt ons you mean a supercharger! He has the only Supercharged Z that I am aware of. It is a magnacharger and he says the car is scary fast now. There you go!

Thanks guys. I currently own a 4g63, and to achieve any kind of real power out of this engine, you have to really sacrifice daily drivability. The engine just cannot reliably push 400+ to the ground w/o breakin crap.
To me this is one of several reason for going V8. One of the other things for me is the sound. Other engines can sound nice, but nothing sounds like a V8. I'll take the good old rumble of V8 anyday. Maybe it's just me, and the generation I grew up in, but I always loved muscle cars. Putting a V8 in a Z is a way to make a better muscle car (i.e. - better handling and better performance). I know when I first get my 240Z V8 to fire-up, it is will send shivers up and down my spine (it may also may make my neighbors call the police).

O.K. Another Sorry' date=' MAICHOR. I was running names off the top of my head and I knew I forgot a few. LONESTAR1 I'm not familiar with. I believe before my HYBRIDZ birthdate. CYRUS. Oh yea I've seen his car many times after it was sold to KHASHIBI1. I believe the car is know gone and MikeJTR has the crossmember or engine mounting. Jeromio (spelled his a.k.a. wrong) Haven't seen a post from him in a while. Soooo I guess we have a pretty complete list of LS1 Z'S. What about the guy in the Santa Cruz area that did the Smog legal swap?

JOEY[/quote']

The guy with the smog legal Z is Briguy. Another nice LS1 Z car.

Wow! I didn't realize there were so many. Mabe we should start a LS1 Z car club. LOL! The LS1 is becoming pretty popular.

Modern all aluminum computer controlled fuel injected V8. I wonder why!