HybridZ

Starting My 454 BBC Install.....(pics)

Well guys, I've got a new job and finally have enough time to get the project_bbz going again. I've edited my first post on this topic with the most current info. I have also listed the changes here:

First off I've changed my head selection. Instead of going with those big rect port heads I scored a nice set of factory oval port heads (casting 049). These things have some serious money and work done to them and haven't been run since. Aside from cutting the heads for 2.19/1.88" valves, the valve pockets have been opened and mildly ported. Bronze guides have been installed and the guides have been machined for PC seals. The chambers around the valves has been unshrouded too. S/S valves came with the heads and a 5 angle valve job has been performed. Otherwise they are bare.

Because of the head port change I sold the rect port Performer RPM and bought a slightly used (dyno time only) oval port Performer RPM Air-Gap intake. I also bought a used Holley 650 cfm double pumper and a Proform main-body. After adding the main body the carb will flow 800-830-850 cfm.

My cam just got here today, its a solid flat-tappet Lunati (UltraDyne design) and is smaller than my first selection due to my limited valve to piston clearence. Even so I'll still have loads of power.

I'll have the cam in by tomorrow, along with the timing set, oil pump, timing cover, oil pan, and the balancer. The rest of the valvetrain will be here on Monday or Tuesday and then I'll be able to slap the heads together and bolt them on to the finished short block.

Sometime this week I'll get over to the local Chevy dealer to get some tranny seals I need to stop a leak from the front pump seal. While I am at it I figured I might as well replace a few more common leaking seals. I'll also be installing a Trans-Go Stage II Shift-Kit before everything is buttoned back up. I was given slightly used Trans-Specialities 10" 3000 RPM Stall converter a few months ago. It will work for the time being until I can afford a ATI or Coan converter.

I also scored a set of Crower Stainless Steel Roller Rockers today for about a quarter of the price new. Hopefully I'll have them by next weekend.

I want to build a run-in stand within a week or two so I can break in the cam and fix any leaks before the motor goes it the car. Plus when I put the heads together I am only installing the outer valve springs as suggested by the cam designer to aid in an easier cam break-in. After the cam is broke in, I'll use compressed air to allow me to remove the spring and retainer assembly to add the inter valve springs and spring dampers.

If everything goes to plan, I should have it moving under its own power by the middle of August.

For the time being I will continue to use the existing exhaust I had made for the 383 sbc. I will also continue using the stock R200 rear diff and the stock fuel lines with the Holley 'Black' fuel pump I added for the 383 sbc. This will be enough to get the car moving, but not for racing.

The next phase in the project is to get my R230 installed, then a new fuel system including aluminum fuel cell, 1/2" fuel line, and a Aeromotive electric fuel pump. Then I'll have a new dual 3" exhaust (w/X-pipe) bent up with Dynomax UltraFlo round mufflers exiting on each side of the roll pan.

Lastly I am having a 10 or 12 point roll cage installed.

After these mods I'll be ready for some racing.

I'll see about taking some pics for you guys.

Project_BBZ, congratulations on the resumption of work on your Z! But why the 049 heads? Didn’t you sink plenty of labor into cleaning-up those Pro Toplines? It is highly unlikely that even professionally ported 049’s would flow comparably to the Pro Toplines. But perhaps your new combo is more conservative and the aftermarket heads would be of minor additional benefit…

My big block Z now runs - well, to some extent. First oil change revealed no cause for alarm regarding possible bearing/rod/cam lobe problems, but I’m still worried. In fact, I’m so petrified that I would rather have a functional car sit forlorn in my garage, than risk damaging it by driving it - which, I suppose, negates the whole point of building the car…

Anyway, be patient at this stage of the build; it would be most disconcerting to rush through the final details, only to discover a $4000 mistake upon break-in.

I might have the opertunitty to grab a 454.. how are the mounts compared to the JTR mounts for a 350

Did you read this thread? This was in the very first post:

"I have done some mockups and I will still be able to reuse the JTR SBC swap motor mount spacers and setback plates. The 454 will sit in exactly the same spot in relation to the firewall as the 383 SBC. The front of the motor will be approx 2" longer than the SBC, which actaully helps things like crossmember to damper clearence."

Update guys.

Yesterday I decided I wanted to see the new short block in the engine bay and to check on clearences.

Well, I've hit two snags. One is minor, the other is pretty serious.

The minor one is the very front of the oil pan hits the steering rack. I can fix that with a few wacks with a dead-blow hammer though.

The serious is one is the headers. I'll need to check one more time, but it doesn't look like they are going to work after all. So its got me digging through the catalogs seeing what I can come up with. Sanderson makes a cast iron header that only sticks out 3" from the head, which is pretty tight. The big downside is that they are $450+ to my door.

yeah I re-read that and totally forgot it.. did you get a hold of one of those plastic 454's to toss in to do the monts and such?

Plastic? I wish.

I originally I used a cracked 454 block to mock things up.

yeah I re-read that and totally forgot it.. did you get a hold of one of those plastic 454's to toss in to do the monts and such?

P-Ayr products makes plastic engines for mock-up assembly. Here is a site that sells them, although I'm sure Summit Racing and Jegs do too:

http://www.pitstopusa.com/P-AYR_PRODUCTS.aspx

girl_rt.jpg

Davy

P-Ayr products makes plastic engines for mock-up assembly. Here is a site that sells them' date=' although I'm sure Summit Racing and Jegs do too:

http://www.pitstopusa.com/P-AYR_PRODUCTS.aspx

Davy[/quote']

Thanks Davy, I've known about them for sometime (not sure if they make a BBC though). But in my case it wouldn't be money well spent with this project. If I were doing custom stuff alot more, you bet I'd invest a BBC in one if they made it.

......be prepared to notch the frame rail and weld in a patch.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but I seriously hope you are wrong. ;)

I am getting a custom set of headers made that 'should' clear everything *crossing fingers*. They'll require use of a mini-starter, but that's no biggie because I am already running one.

Update:

I finished the short block on Sunday. I have everything to put my heads together, except PC valve seals (I should have them by Friday). If I get them on time I'll put the heads together on Friday night or Saturday. Then I'll slap the heads on, then the intake, water pump, flexplate, etc.

Hopefully I'll have time to do some mockups for the first time with a complete BBC (minus headers, ordering them on the the 27th along with the aluminum radiator). The reason I am doing more mockups is because I just wanna make sure everything will be good-to-go when its time to drop the motor/trans in for good. If I can get someone over with a digital camera I'll take some shots and get'em posted for you guys.

Crap, that reminds me. I still gotta get to the dealer to get the various TH-350 tranny seals I need before I slap the motor and trans together. I gotta install my Trans-Go Stage II Shift-Kit too.

Geez, its the little stuff that kills me.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks Davy, I've known about them for sometime (not sure if they make a BBC though). But in my case it wouldn't be money well spent with this project. If I were doing custom stuff alot more, you bet I'd invest a BBC in one if they made it.

But what you are doing, IS somewhat custom, click on "Refine Results", then "Chevy Big Block Replicas"

http://www.pitstopusa.com/searchresult.aspx?CategoryID=1932

Mark

It looks like those headers fit pretty good. The BBC looks great in the engine bay. Does it look like you will have hood clearance issues?

Good luck' date=' and get er' done![/quote']

I could prob close the hood without an air cleaner, but other than that.....nope.

I had already planned on it being an issue, hell my 383 was pretty close. So, I bought a 3.5 or 4" 'glass cowl (Z28 style, similar to was MSA sells) to bond onto my stock hood after I cut a hole in the hood just large enough for my air cleaner housing to fit though. My plan is to have the air cleaner higher than the stock hood, but still inside the cowl, so all the air cleaner is picking up is cooler, denser, outside air.