HybridZ

3m protective film application

blueovalz

I'm going to purchase some of this product this spring and apply it to some vulnerable areas on my car. Has anybody applied this product, and if so, would they give a brief description of how it is applied and any pitfalls to avoid? My biggest concern is this film's ability (or inability) to follow compound curves.

Terry,

Can't give you any specifics on that product, but I have applied large sections of vinyl over compound curves. I used distilled water with a drop of dish detergent on the surface to allow movement of the vinyl before final 'stick'. Also use a RUBBER squeegee, not a plastic one (like you would use for body filler. The plastic ones tear up the vinyl.....

Again, not sure if the 3M stuff would work in the same manner.

Tim

Thanks Tim. I may just have to trial-and-error this. Did you need to "pull" and squeegy in order to get it to smooth out. If so, this would make me think that the film may get very thin in areas that pulling is required around sharper curves. I've heard of videos being available to assist the tenderfoot in this, so this may be what I need to find.

Terry,

I was told by a friend that the body shop she works at applies this clear film for customers. You may want to call around to local body shops for some tips. I have seen Porsche's around here use it also on the rear fenders, right behind the door. Maybe a Porsche dealer can help you also?

When I applied my graphics kit on my dirt bike, I used soapy water also as Tim said. I also used a heat gun for the compound shapes.

Just some thoughts.

Joshua

Guest bindiman99

hey there i own a business installing paint protection film among other things and just finished shooting a training video for the installation of 3m paint protection film you can go to www.houseoftint.com if you would like to contact me on this John

• 4 years later...

This is an old thread. 2005! Anyhow, I did the front of my WRX and the lower front fenders of my Z with the 3M film. The larger the section, the more difficult. I suggest starting with some roll-stock instead of a pre-cut kit. Cut off some pieces from the roll stock, trim them to fit a small, specific area, and apply them. Start with sections no larger than 8" x 5" to practice with and then you can tackle larger sections. The hard part is working out the air bubbles without over stretching and over working the film. Follow the directions, and work wet, very wet. For very large sections, two people would be a huge plus.

http://www.xpel.com