HybridZ

Buying a TIG welder? Read!

Mike C

I've been looking at TIGs for over a year. Can't make up my mind. Used? New? One of the 180 amp light duty jobs? Maybe a 250 amp? Air cooled or water? Wow, big price difference. Anyhow, searching Sears.com this morning, they have the Precision TIG 275 on clearance! Originally $3899, last week they were marked down to $2999. WIth shipping and tax, no better than any of the welder dealers who offered free shipping and no tax. This week they are marked down to $1599!!!!!! for the Ready-to-weld pack including the water cooled torch, torch cooler, cart, torch cover, foot pedal, and flowmeter. If you ever wanted a TIG, now is the time. Mine was $2150 tax and delivery to my door, or about half price! Same price as the ESAB air cooled without the foot amptrol.

WOW!!! That seems to be a GREAT deal! Did you see the weight though, 642#? I wonder what shipping will cost on that. Plus you will most likely have to pay tax. Even with those costs though, that is a great deal.

Now...what kind of power does that thing require? Am I reading it right that it requires 3 phase, or is that only at 460V? You may want to check into some of these details before ordering.

I just got a Dynasty 200DX, and think it is awesome! I really wanted a 300A model, but the cost was too high. Ends up though, after playing with the 200DX, I am glad that was all I got. I will eventually buy a 210/251 range MIG, possibly spool gun, for thicker stuff. I really can't see needing any more power, especially for hobby use.

The Thermal Arc 185 is close to the price of that PT275, and taking into account tax and shipping, is probably a few hundred cheaper at ~$1680 to your door. I would definitely look into an inverter if you want small, light, powerful...

Joshua

I paid around $1500 for the lincoln 185 6 months or so ago, it came highly recomended from other welders and the shop I get my supplies from, the sad thing is I still can't use the damned thing, havn't had time to get a bud over a play, oh well, I'll get to it

Tax was $163 and shipping was $389. It's still almost half price after that. It's cheaper than Sears has the 185. It is a single phase machine. The ready to weld pak only comes that way. I've literally been looking nearly two years. It's a lot of money and I didn't want to scrimp. I'm stoked and need to get over to the welding shop to get an Argon bottle and some filler rods!

Congrats on the new addition! You will have a bunch of power to play with. On Sears website it mentioned 3 phase, but on Lincolns it does say that the ready-pak is 1 phase. Did you look at the other power requirements, such as what size breaker you will need? Just a heads up when you are out buying a bottle. Oh, and you might want to have a forklift ready to unload it with... I couldn't believe it weighed that much! I guess the shipping was reasonable then considering...

Good Luck,

Joshua

DAMINT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I read this post this morning with great joy. Call the wife and fill her in on the great deal, we agree to talk about it when she gets home. After a little talk and some home finance math I get the green light on a tig welder. I go to the page, run through the order proccess and then.......

"The following items are not available ."

I think I'm going to go kill a bunny, or something cute and furry. Nice score Mike.