HybridZ

On reducing detonation

Afshin

no, compression doesn't begin until the intake valve closes. until then, air is pushed back into the intake. yes, boost helps fill the cylinder, but doesn't make nearly the cylinder pressure the piston does when compressing the charge.

yes, boost helps fill the cylinder, but doesn't make nearly the cylinder pressure the piston does when compressing the charge.

I don't think anyone running more than 15 PSI boost (or anything more than their stock compression ratio in boost) will agree with you...

Air volume is more than doubled at that amount of boost.

I don't think anyone running more than 15 PSI boost (or anything more than their stock compression ratio in boost) will agree with you...

Air volume is more than doubled at that amount of boost.

Right, but compressing the charge will multiply the pressure by 8 or so.

of course adding boost increases cylinder pressure. that is a given.

but, delaying the intake valve closing point with a longer duration cam will lower cylinder pressure, with or without boost.

yes that is right, the pressure from the pistons makes an order of magnitude (10x) more pressure than the boost from the turbo.

yes that is right, the pressure from the pistons makes an order of magnitude (10x) more pressure than the boost from the turbo.

it sure as hell better! or my 150psi I got on my compression testing gauge is telling me my engine is a 150:1 compression ratio. LOL

where's that 1000 octane gas?

it sure as hell better! or my 150psi I got on my compression testing gauge is telling me my engine is a 150:1 compression ratio. LOL

where's that 1000 octane gas?

Well the 150psi is the number on the left of the ratio, and the number on the right is atmospheric (approximately). Which is 14.7psi, not 1 psi.

So the ratio of compression for your motor is 150psi:14.7psi or 10.2:1 approximately.