HybridZ

Looking for an air compressor

Guest iskone

I think I'm going to buy an air compressor.

I need it for operating air tools such as automotive ones and nail guns.

What size should I go with?

No plans to do any painting, yet.

Isk

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

Do you plan to use a cutoff wheel, die grinder, or air sanders?

If so, get something with 10+ SCFM at 90psi. I prefer a 50-80 gallon tank for heavy duty air tools.

If you're just using it for air ratchet, impact gun, and HVLP paint, you can get away with a 30g tank and a lower SCFM rating.

Just check out the requirements on the tools you want, and find a compressor with at least that much output.

I bought a 26 gal compressor from the local Lowe's for 299. It came with an impact wrench, nailer, die grinder, air chisel, (cheap) spray gun and various fittings and hose.

I am finding out the hard way that I should have went bigger. The grinder will run for 30 seconds before the compressor kicks on, then I have to moderate its use or I cant strip anything with it.

I bought this size because I needed 120v instead of 220. That's the only good thing about this one, besides being portable.

Go as big as you can afford.

Nail guns are best driven with a small, portable compressor. That way you can carry it to the job sight. Impacts, ratchets and many times even a chisel can be easily driven off a medium (3-4 HP) compressor because they usually run only in bursts. Continuous use stuff like griders or paint guns need at least a true 5 HP continuous run compressor. That means 220V. Many books actually recommend 6-7 HP min, but I have had good luck with my 5 HP compressor.

I just picked up a 7hp (max: 3.5 hp run) 60 gallon verticle, 135psi max Kobalt compressor from Lowes. 13cfm at 90psi. Should be a nice upgrade from my little 20 gallon 5hp (max) unit.

I am totally tired from unloading it from my truck by myself!! Easy enough with the forklift at the store....at home was a completely different story!! :shock:

Nobody has mentioned noise yet. The oilless pumps are really loud and annoyingly high pitched IME, and the oiled pumps are just loud, but IMO much less annoying. The best one I've seen as far as noise goes was the Ingersoll-Rand I think it was a 60 gal unit a friend of mine has. That's the only one I've seen where you can stand right next to it and feel no need to yell to have a conversation while it's pumping.

I'd like to run it continously one day but just not now. For now I would use it for a couple of nail guns. I think I'll look at the price difference between a 60gal 6-7hp unit vs a little guy for a nailer. If the nailer is pretty cheap I'll just pick up the small one now and the big one when I need it, in like a year at this rate.

Isk

A suggestion:

Find a small independent air compressor servicing company and ask them if they have any rebuilt units for sale. Sometimes you can score a good deal on an older unit that will last for decades. I picked up a rebuilt mid-1950s Kellog 10hp two stage air compressor with a 120 gallon tank, new Baldor electric motor, and a large air dryer for $1,500. That price included free servicing for two years (4 oil changes) and a two year warranty on parts and labor.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

You can get a Campbell Hausfeld 60 gallon 7hp from Home Depot for $430, or a similar version with a different motor for $480. They both will keep up with ANYTHING you throw at them, and they have a 3 year warranty.

Guest crazycustom240z

I saw a 60gal unit at Costco this weekend for 300$. I know a guy who has one and he said it runs everything hes especially happy it runs his DA all day long. THe only prob though it was kinda noisy so he built a little enclosure outside for it. Now he can listen to his radio again while working. hope it helps

jeff