HybridZ

MM Vented Front Brake Package

They don't wear out or corrode, buying new seems like a waste, esp. since these little items can find their way into the bottom of the tool box.... :twisted:
The problem is that I generally only have the weekends to work on my car, and I'd lose at least a half day or more trying to find this part (including driving time). The brake plumbing is the last thing I need to work out before I can start trying to fit the engine in it's new home (I can't wait). As soon as I can get this little bugger, I'll install it so that it won't find a home somewhere else;).

Does the link above point to the right part?

That's a bubble T' date=' which means you must use bubble flared lines with it. If you're using flares like came on the car originally, they're a double flare and will not work with the bubble T.

John[/quote']

That's right, I believe the metric bubble is a European, and the double flair 10mmX1mm is the Jap one.

That's a bubble T' date=' which means you must use bubble flared lines with it. If you're using flares like came on the car originally, they're a double flare and will not work with the bubble T.

John[/quote']:idea:I just remembered I have an extra 240z parts car sitting in my backyard. I can just take the brake tee for the rear brakes from it and use it on my new front brakes:D .

Steve/Zcarnut,

What 1" master cylinder did you go with? I know I have heard of Nissan truck's that have 1" master cylinders. I do not want to make mistakes if need be. I just purchased a 15/16" 280Z master cylinder and will just return it and buy the 1".

I am using the 240SX rear calipers off a 1994 model I believe. What rear combo are you running?

Mike

Steve/Zcarnut' date='

What 1" master cylinder did you go with? I know I have heard of Nissan truck's that have 1" master cylinders. I do not want to make mistakes if need be. I just purchased a 15/16" 280Z master cylinder and will just return it and buy the 1".[/quote']

I used the 1" master cylinder from the 1991 to '96 Nissan Hardbody 2WD truck. (I have also seen this master cylinder on early 1990's non-ABS Maxima's.)

However, I also used the later (1982 and '83) 280ZX booster in conjunction as well. For three reasons:

(1) The 1" master cylinder bolts up to this booster without any problems. The 1" master cylinder will not bolt to the '70-'78 Z car boosters without modifications. The bolt spacing is slightly different on the booster so you would have to slightly elongate the mounting holes on the master cylinder slightly to allow it to fit.

(2) The 280ZX booster is larger in diameter than the '70-'78 boosters, and this helps to reduce the increased pedal effort you get with the larger diameter master cylinder.

(3) The ZX booster fits the '74-'78 Z cars without any problem. You have to mount it upside down (but that does not affect its operation), and you will have to shorten it's mounting studs that go through the firewall.

However, the ZX booster will not bolt into the '70-'73 Z cars (the 240Z's) because the firewall mounting bolt spacing is different. You might be able to use the '74-'78 pedal support bracket or perhaps be able to redrill the '70-'73 pedal support bracket for the ZX booster. In either case the firewall must be redrilled, and there still may be an interference problem with the clutch master cylinder.

The brake line fittings on the one inch master cylinder exit from the side and the top of the master cylinder. The Z car's master cylinder brake lines all exit from the bottom of the master cylinder. So, you will need to fabricate some new brake lines from the master cylinder to the brake balance switch assembly. Use 3/16 inch stock brake line (it's less than .001" different than the Nissan 4.75mm lines) and double flare the ends.

Hey bartman, how long did the shipment take from the time you ordered it? I'm thinking of ordering the kvr brake pads if I can get'em quick enough

Violacleff, if you order your pads most any day they'll ship the same or next day on a pads alone shipment (even while we're away in Florida right now/our shippers still working :) ). Other setups typically ship within 2-3 days of ordering. If you ever have specific time restraints/scheduling just let us know ahead of time and we can work with this.

I got most of my front suspension reinstalled, and I started installing the 'Typical 4x4 Z Vented Front Brake Package' fron Modern Motorsports with calipers I won on eBay. I must say the kit seems to be of high quality and includes everything I need...

Looks great Bartman :) Thanks for the rave review, input from others is great. Just confirm your brake line does not get into a rubbing scenario. Those DOT custom braided lines we set you up with are very tolerant but you still want to ensure they stay clear for best longevity.

Cheers and enjoy your nearly done car!

I got the Brake Tee I needed from the rear of my 240Z parts car, so I think I have everything I need to complete the plumbing. I also removed the calipers and painted them with brake paint.

finished_brakes.JPG

I do have a problem with the brake lines touching the inside of the tire when the steering wheel is turned all the way to either side. I need a better solution than the twist tie I have now:confused2 .

Jayru, it should clear radially easily as many have installed this package under 14's. The only spot it might interfere would be on the outer edge of the cailper to the wheels front face if at all. This is typically where intereference has occured in the past. For those with interference it's typically resolved with 1/8" to 3/8" thick slip on wheel spacers we've made them for the front. If their's any way you can organize a 4x4 caliper/Z strut (with hub) and one of those wheels it would be quick to check.

Any other questions drop us an email.

Cheers,

I have the typical 4x4 kit from Ross with 14 inch factory wheels from a 77 Z.

I was hoping to get by without any spacers so I ground down the ribs on the calibers a little bit but I still needed more room.

Ross make 1/8 inch spacers for me and that took care of it. Brakes work great!

Brian..........

• 2 weeks later...