HybridZ

Got my Z weighed - 2460 lbs

dladow

I took my Z (1973 240z) to a public scale this weekend, and it weighs in at 2,460 pounds with a full tank of gas and no driver or passenger. It has the stock drive train (2.4 inline 6 plus auto tranny), and stock seats. It has a new JTR radiator and is missing the smog pump and front skid plate. I added a layer of sound deadener (E Dead) to the interior, plus a carpet pad and new carpet. The suspension is stock, refurbished with urethane bushings all round, new springs (from ArizonaZ), struts, ball joints, etc. It sure handles well, and is an absolute gas to drive. You wear this car like a good suit. I have a G Tech and now that I know the weight, have to figure out how to use it to get some baseline acceleration and HP numbers before the SBC goes in. I think I'll go out to the track n tune at the raceway and see what quarter mile numbers I can post.

The SBC is at the machine shop and I am itching to get it done. The car is such fun to drive now, it is going to be unbelievable with double (or more) the HP and torque. It's going to be a fun summer!

Dave

Guest bastaad525

Jersey has a '73 and weighed his after he swapped to a turbo motor... seem to remember his weighing quite a bit less than the numbers you guys are getting though! I think his was in the very low 2300's?

I had my '72 weighed with an SU'd L28 motor and five speed, stock seats and interior, a small tool set, bit more than 1/4 tank of gas, a spare and jack, and got 2320lbs.

Kinda surprises me you guys' '73's are coming in so relatively high.

`71 240 with full interior and no after market lite weight stuff; L28/E31; added MSA strut bars and 1/2 a tank of gas = 2340LBS.

I wonder why the 73's are 100 pounds more than the 71 and 72's? I have heard that the 70's are 1oo less than the 71's, is that true?

73 Z cars got crossbeams in doors, didn't they?

I forgot to add that my Z also had an r200 in it instead of hte r180, there's extra 15-20 lbs.

Don't forget stuff like smog equipment. The smog pump itself is about what, 15 lbs? cast iron bracket and bolt are another 3-4 lbs. Also depends where you had the car weighed: mine was weighed in when coilovers were getting adjusted and alignment done at Roger Kraus Racing, and it was done with individual scales under each wheel (they do corner weights too)

Guest bastaad525

'71's are the lightest of the bunch, I know every time I hear of them being weighed it's always in the low 2200's.

I also have an R200 diff. I am lacking smog equimpent though, no air pump or EGR, no catalytic converter. I too seem to remember hearing the '73's got some of the structural improvements found in later S30's, not sure if it was the door beams, or the frame rails that extend the full body instead of half rails like mine has.

My Z31 weighed 2900 lbs on the truck scale at work. When I lost the vg30, I lost about 100 lbs. Axel weights were front 1440, and rear 1460. I don't know how accurate the truck scales are, but I haven't had a ticket in the seven years I've been using them.