HybridZ

305?

Guest Junior720027

Guest Junior720027

I was wandering if swapping in a 305 would be worth it. I have a buddy who is willing to sell it to me for pretty cheap.

Guest tony78_280z

305 = 5.0L, and that makes people think of mustangs. Who wants that kind of image?

I HEAR a 305 is lighter on gas milage. But it's gonna weigh about the same as a 350. 350 parts are far more common and cheaper.

Just my $0.02 here.

Guest Magnum Rockwilder

305 and 350 parts are one in the same, barring the obvious (crank, pistons).

305's are heavier than 350's (they have more metal; 350's have bigger holes (cylinders).

305's don't breathe well beause the bores are so small that they shroud the valves.

305's have a poor bore/stroke ratio, reducing overall power output.

If you want to stay <250hp, a 305 would be fine. It'll be better than the L6 because of the low end torque output, and it'll still be capable of creating enough power to make the car get out of its own way, however, if you're patient enough and actively look around, you can usually find a cheap 350.

I'd never pay more than $150 or so for a running 305, and even then I'd probably just wait and get a 350, unless I needed an engine QUICK.

Guest tony78_280z

305 and 305 parts are one in the same, barring the obvious (crank, pistons).pistons).
Type-o? I think he meant to say
350 and 305 parts are one in the same, barring the obvious (crank, pistons).

A few years a go I transplanted a throttle body 305 into my S10 Blazer, and believe it or not that little sucker just flew. Yeah, a 350 is a way better choice, but you can probably get a very low mileage 305 with trans for $1300-$1500 bucks, maybe less. My Blazer with it's puny 305 toasted an awful lot of Mustangs...

Guest Junior720027

Well it sounds like the 305 is out and a pursuit of a 350 is on unless I can get this mopar 440 from a buddy his dad is giving him till june 1st to get rid of it, if not he said I can have it, his dad just wants to toss it, lol

Remember that with a 440 you're pretty much going to be on your complete own since there is no kit, no instructions, no support, no anything available for it for the V8Z swap.

Plus it would be much more expensive (I believe) to swap that in if you can even get it to fit.

I would just do a 305 if it is cheap, running well, and you don't want to spend a lot of money. You can always go to a built up 350 later with a simple swap.

Joshua

A 305 is a good engine, although power is not as high as a 350 (depending on the 305 and 350). My suburban 350 is rated for ~165HP I believe...pathetic stock!

Don't spend $1500 on a 305. That kind of money will buy you a complete LT1 with trans from a mid 90's F body. Iron head caprice motors will be even cheaper. Those will "bolt in" with the JTR kit and get you a better FI with aluminum heads. Plus you will have an upgrade path available for 400+ HP

Jolane is right. In my corral of vehicles I have 3 small block Chevy's, all FI. Two of them are 350's and the other is the 305 in my Z. All are in pretty much stock trim and guess which one is the most powerfull.

Having said that, Pop-n-fresh is right too. If you have 1500 clams to spend on a motor grab an LT1 out of an f-body. IMHO this is the best bang for the buck in a Z swap.

Yeah, a 305 is not a great bang-for-the-buck motor unless you are planning on having less than ~ 250 hp in the end (nobody here). I think they pretty much top out at 330 hp and that is with ALL the $$ goodies minus nitrous, turbo, or whatever. My beginning engine, the free 305, was factory rated at 145 hp and it had like 120,000 miles on it so it was actually putting out less I think. I researched what it would cost to make it over 250 hp (rebuild, pistons, cam, heads) and it was just as cheap to just get an already-done 350 good for about 300 from my dad's friend.

Overall, I DID like the 305 and it was worth putting it in for starters b/c it was.....free!

Pat

Another point of reference...I just bought a Vortec 350 (1997 I think) with all fuel injection (minus computer) components for $50. It spun a rod bearing, so add a few hundred for machining and it is not very expensive.

No doubt that a rebuilt 350 is better, but if the price is right on the 305...

Joshua

Guest Junior720027

Sorry haven't checked it in a while been busy, Thanks for all the options and ideas guys, now I think I'm gonna have to put a new tranny in my van, lol so it will take even longer than planned since I'm already saving every penny I find, lol