HybridZ

280ZXT Swap no spark

Guest Zya1964

Guest Zya1964

I have a 75Z with an 81 motor and harness and ecu with an 82 dizzy and coil and power transistor/ignitor. I get no spark after hooking up plugs 1 and 2 on the harness. I was thinking I should make sure the JY dizzy and coil shuould work before I go to fuel. Do also need to hook up the FI stuff before I can get spark? I get 12 volts to the coil on both pos and neg should that be right? Would there be any thing in the stock ignition that I should remove for spark?

Thanks,

Neal

Yeah you need to hook it up

ast the igniter get its pulse of the ECU that gets is off the cas.

The cas in 82/83 models has a round connector with 4 wires ( 81 aswel ? ), one being ground, one 12 volt and 2 5 volts pin outs, futher 12 volts on negative and positive on the coild sounds off to me. how did you wire it up? as the relais needs a direct current off the fusable (brown and green) and switched ( what wire you wired it upto)

Also the Igniter needs to be wired upto pin 5 on the ECU's second plug ( yellow white) to get the pulse

Guest Zya1964

I have the ignitor hooked up to the yellow wire from plug 2 (I have tried both of them from plug 2). I have a seperate ignition wire from the ignition switch to the other side of the ignitor The cas is hooked up the the 4 prong thick plug. I have the brown and green wires from plug 1 hooked directly to the battery.Again I was going step by step because of the JY parts. I was trying to get spark before I went to the fuel. I have the ecu bolted to the orginal spot of the old ecu. So are you saying I do need to hook up the FI wires to get spark? Also is there anything from the stock wiring that I should have un hooked?

Thanks again,

Neal

I have the ignitor hooked up to the yellow wire from plug 2 (I have tried both of them from plug 2). I have a seperate ignition wire from the ignition switch to the other side of the ignitor The cas is hooked up the the 4 prong thick plug. I have the brown and green wires from plug 1 hooked directly to the battery.Again I was going step by step because of the JY parts. I was trying to get spark before I went to the fuel. I have the ecu bolted to the orginal spot of the old ecu. So are you saying I do need to hook up the FI wires to get spark? Also is there anything from the stock wiring that I should have un hooked?

Thanks again' date='

Neal[/quote']

ill send you an email

• 1 year later...

hey, this is the first time i have posted on hybridz. i've been reading everything on the site for a couple months though. i'm doing the l28et 240z swap also and it seems i am having the same problem. the only difference is that i have the fuel system working. i think i have the entire fi harness all wired too. i have the green and brown wires to the battery. and the yellow with white wire and the black with white wire to the ignitor. is it important that the coil/ignitor bracket has a good ground? let me know what you figured out about the problem. thanks

• 2 weeks later...

There is an easy way to test both style CAS for z car turbo engines (81-83), but both depend on the fuel circuit working because that is the indicator that the ecu is sensing.

The 81 is mounted near the bottom pulley. I removed the sensor from the mount and ran a small screwdriver across each little pickup (I think there were 3). Each time the pickup was sensed by the ecu the fuel pump would turn on for about 5 seconds. You are basicly fooling the ecu into thinking the engine is running.

On the later style dizzys, remove the dizzy from the engine and hookup the wiring. Then spin the dizzy by hand. The ecu thinks the engine is running and turns the fuel pump on.

Both are fairly simple to do unless you can't hear the pump running.

• 4 weeks later...

I have an 82 engine with the cas inside the dizzy. when i turn my key to on my fuel pump turns on for 5 seconds. does this mean the cas is good? i have the stock fuel rail so i don't have a fuel gauge to check pressure. but i know its pumping. does someone have a clear diagram or explanation of what wires need to go to the coil? from what i have read on this site i think i have everything hooked up where it needs to go, but no spark. what's wrong? someone please help